BUG Outside temperature reading is way off

Crazybrit

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla MS & Quantum Air GT
I am on a road trip, charging overnight at a hotel. This morning, the temperature outside according to my phone, weather apps, and my body is 0F (yes, zero Fahrenheit), but the car is saying it’s 20F! It’s been parked outside all night. The thing I worry about is that if the car thinks it’s 20F, is it adequately protecting the battery? I would think the consequences of misreading the temperature could be very serious.

Attachments

• 732D8FB1-A838-4472-91DF-8DBA42DDDC47.jpeg
    732D8FB1-A838-4472-91DF-8DBA42DDDC47.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 9ECC17A1-7EB9-4CDB-852C-4CA66E399FAD.jpeg
    9ECC17A1-7EB9-4CDB-852C-4CA66E399FAD.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 121
I am on a road trip, charging overnight at a hotel. This morning, the temperature outside according to my phone, weather apps, and my body is 0F (yes, zero Fahrenheit), but the car is saying it’s 20F! It’s been parked outside all night. The thing I worry about is that if the car thinks it’s 20F, is it adequately protecting the battery? I would think the consequences of misreading the temperature could be very serious.
Same, mine has always been significantly off, especially in cold weather.

The battery management system has temperature sensors built into the battery modules so I doubt this is an issue for battery protection.

Same problem here, today it was 1 degree out and my garage was around 45. After driving the car for 20 mins, it read 15 degrees. The car is going in for other stuff next week, I'll add this to the list.

Mine as well, 20 degrees off (high) some times. Tech is scheduled here next week for that as well as driver window wont close and driver door will not soft close (gotta slam to engage).

Yup! When I was charging at EA, my phone said it was 27 outside and the car said it is 49. This car has a lot of bugs to work out.

Outdoor temp also indicates warmer than reality in my Air when it’s cold out (sub-freezing).

The Lucid got it right this morning when it was -5F. Does anyone know where the temp sensor actually is? I'm wondering if sunlight or leftover battery heat could be throwing it off.

The Lucid got it right this morning when it was -5F. Does anyone know where the temp sensor actually is? I'm wondering if sunlight or leftover battery heat could be throwing it off.

The outdoor temp sensor is most accurate when the car is in motion.

If the car is sitting on a charger, the heat generated during charging will affect the temp reading.

I think the app does not report the exterior temp accurately. Sometimes the app toggles to interior temp. Not sure how/why to toggles between exterior and interior temp.

The outdoor temp sensor is most accurate when the car is in motion.

If the car is sitting on a charger, the heat generated during charging will affect the temp reading.
It should be, but it's either extremely slow to change (it's definitely that) and/or wrong.
Example: This morning I left to drop the kids off at school, it's about 30 mins round trip. The thermometer read 45 degrees when I left (garage temp), and had dropped to about 20 by the time I got home. It was actually 7 degrees out.

My 13 year old Mazda has this same inconsistency on temperatures, slow to stabilize. It would seem that there's a rolling average of the last N temperature readings, and that the sensor itself is affected by radiating bodies nearby, including the car engine/transmission/hood, pavement, buildings. It slowly zeroes in on what we'd consider the real ambient temperature once the car has been in motion at least 10 minutes (no stop and go), but sometimes longer. I don't consider it any more reliable than the weather apps on my phone or computer, which are based on an actual weather observation at an airport within 25 miles of my house plus extrapolations based on my location. Even my backyard thermometer is accurate only for its location 12' above ground in an open area, not on my patio near the house.

The dumb thing is that the Home Screen is querying a weather app, because it correctly reports current conditions (cloudy, sunny, rain etc.). I would think a smart software engineer should be able to balance the car's reading with the local weather station, and come up with something more accurate over time.

Also, I have been on long trips (several hours) and the temp never converges with actual. It is usually 7-10 degrees high. Ocasionally it does get it right though, so it doesn't seem to be a calibration issue.

Same here ... temp displayed on screen is way off!!! Was showing 75 when it was in the 60's outside.

Mine seems to be a bit on the high side as well. As has been true of just about every car I've ever owned that had a temperature sensor. My guess is heat coming off the battery skews it a bit?

The trouble is, how do we know what's accurate? My watch might say it's 46 outside, but that number comes from the airport 45 minutes away. So maybe the car is closer to right when it says 50? Who knows?

We have this idea that temperature is a uniform thing that applies to an entire region. But it varies more than you think. So long as the car gives me a general notion of how hot or cold it is, I'm fine with that.

My car's thermometer seems to be a little closer than what others have reported usually 4-5 degrees F over the true temp.

Hi, all. I can confirm that the car needs to be in motion for the exterior temperature to register accurately. If this is still a concern, then please contact Customer Care for assistance.

Hi, all. I can confirm that the car needs to be in motion for the exterior temperature to register accurately. If this is still a concern, then please contact Customer Care for assistance.
Unfortunately, it reads high even after cruising on the freeway for several hours. That’s not it.

Back