OBDII port

The Air does not have a classic OBD II port
Thanks, I see. Ill call Progressive tomorrow and see what they have. Maybe they cant offer it. I signed up for their Snapshot monitoring driving habits. However, even without Snapshot my insurance with them is already reasonable at $471 per six months. Ill likely drive less than 2000 miles per year with air at least until i retire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I see. Ill call Progressive tomorrow and see what they have. Maybe they cant offer it. I signed up for their Snapshot monitoring driving habits. However, even without Snapshot my insurance with them is already reasonable at $471 per six months. Ill likely drive less than 2000 miles per year with air at least until i retire.
I did the Snapshot thing a few years back and completely regretted doing it. They made you put that device in your car for almost a year and record all your "hard" acceleration and braking for very chilled ICE car driving, I can't imagine enjoying the Lucid while the device din at you all the time.

I believe every car or truck on the road manufactured after 1996 is legally mandated to have one installed. How does Lucid get around the regulation?
These ports were intended for checking emissions systems. Since the Lucid has no emissions, it isn't required to have an OBD II port.

Instead, it has an Ethernet port in the trunk that can be connected to a laptop. However, the in-car systems will not actually interact with the laptop without the Lucid servers commanding the car to bypass its local 802.1x security, at the request of the service tech.

These ports were intended for checking emissions systems. Since the Lucid has no emissions, it isn't required to have an OBD II port.

Instead, it has an Ethernet port in the trunk that can be connected to a laptop. However, the in-car systems will not actually interact with the laptop without the Lucid servers commanding the car to bypass its local 802.1x security, at the request of the service tech.
Understood... However I do believe this was Lucid's choice rather than the new norm for EVs. We owned a BMW I3 and it had an OBD II port. it offered access to battery temperatures and access to all kinds of other data points. Would have been nice to have.

Back