No need for home charger...we only have street parking!

On the original topic, makes me realize how fortunate I am to live in Austin, as Austin Energy has a pretty amazing deal when it comes to level 2 charging. Basically, $25 every 6 months gets you unlimited level 2 charging at any of the Chargepoint network of chargers around town. For the first couple months I didn't even have a home charger, as I could juice up around town. I installed the Lucid Connected home charging station and I still rarely use it as it's a better deal to charge with the Chargepoint chargers. I'm not sure how long this deal will last, but I think it's something more municipalities should offer.

To the original post, though, I would *never* consider long term street parking my Lucid or any high end vehicle in Austin. Way too much vehicle vandalism and theft here. Not quite at SF levels where people leave their glovebox open just to show they don't have anything valuable so their windows don't get broken, but we're not that far off. Kudos to DC if you feel safe enough to leave your Lucid street parked overnight.

This post surprises me. If the homes under construction were in Levittown I would understand the amperage limitations. But Naples is a very high end community and I would expect that the new houses there would have ample electrical power.
The problem is who is paying the bill. If a builder can get away with saving a few bucks by not installing something more expensive, they always will. Since most buyers aren't thinking of electric car charging, most don't think to ask about this. So they learn the hard way later.

And the electrician gets hired a second time to do the upgrade. Win win!

On the original topic, makes me realize how fortunate I am to live in Austin, as Austin Energy has a pretty amazing deal when it comes to level 2 charging. Basically, $25 every 6 months gets you unlimited level 2 charging at any of the Chargepoint network of chargers around town. For the first couple months I didn't even have a home charger, as I could juice up around town. I installed the Lucid Connected home charging station and I still rarely use it as it's a better deal to charge with the Chargepoint chargers. I'm not sure how long this deal will last, but I think it's something more municipalities should offer.

To the original post, though, I would *never* consider long term street parking my Lucid or any high end vehicle in Austin. Way too much vehicle vandalism and theft here. Not quite at SF levels where people leave their glovebox open just to show they don't have anything valuable so their windows don't get broken, but we're not that far off. Kudos to DC if you feel safe enough to leave your Lucid street parked overnight.
That's pretty awesome about Austin. Doesn't totally surprise me.

We get a flat $0.12 per kWh here on the L2 ChargePoints around town. Which is not bad at all, looking at some of the rates folks are paying elsewhere.

The problem is who is paying the bill. If a builder can get away with saving a few bucks by not installing something more expensive, they always will. Since most buyers aren't thinking of electric car charging, most don't think to ask about this. So they learn the hard way later.

And the electrician gets hired a second time to do the upgrade. Win win!

Very true. My dad was a custom housing contractor, and he was constantly astonished by how few questions or how many design issues had been thought through by home buyers both during the planning and the construction phase. I used to work as a trim carpenter for him during school summers, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen him press a buyer for a decision about tile and cabinetry orientation, hearths and mantels, trim details, door swings, etc., only finally to be told to "do whatever most people do", or something to that effect.

This post surprises me. If the homes under construction were in Levittown I would understand the amperage limitations. But Naples is a very high end community and I would expect that the new houses there would have ample electrical power.

I think the answer lies in joec's post. The builders will shave as much off the project as the market will tolerate. While the $10-100MM housing market in Naples is certainly cooking, the great bulk of building is going on in the $750K-$3MM segment, mostly in gated developments. With each new wave of development, the lot sizes get smaller, with many homes now being built 15 feet from adjacent houses. With this trend has come a constant shrinkage of garage sizes. 20' x 20' is now the standard double-car garage size in new construction, and I've seen sizes as small as 18' x 20' advertised as "double". (I'm a hobby architect, and I often pore over the house plans posted on these developments' websites.) At the same time, the SUVs and pickups Floridians so love have become gargantuan.

When we bought our first vacation home here over 15 years ago, a prevalent homeowner association rule was that vehicles could not be left outside of garages overnight. But these rules have disappeared in newer developments, as the garages are used for storage (no basements here due to ground conditions, and attics can be too hot), and many of the vehicles won't fit in the garages, anyway. You ride through the newer communities and see multiple cars parked in driveways at all times of day and night, and sometimes the driveways are so short that a second or third car is sometimes parked perpendicular to the driveway axis to keep it from blocking the sidewalk.

A builder who can pass off a 20' x 20' garage to a buyer as space for two standard-size vehicles is certainly not going to worry about making sure they have the current needed to charge EVs there.

One of the reasons I wanted to design and build my own home in a more open area was to build a garage that suited my need to park multiple cars, to charge EVs, and to get my since-deceased handicapped partner in and out in bad weather. So I installed 400-amp service with two EV charging circuits in an almost 2,000 sq ft garage. But I know of no other house in the same price range that has similar accommodations. It's just something that few buyers and no builders on spec think about.

Last edited:
On the other hand, we do have younger friends who are seriously considering leaving Florida. Unfortunately, they're Democrats, and the departure of their kind will ease the state's quickening slide into God-fearing, gun-toting, vaccine-rejecting, immigrant-hating, drag-queen-fearing climate denialism.

Yeah . . . it's worse than it looks.
Are we on the verge of entering into politics now?
Hoping @hmp10 realizes that he can easily alienate (statistically) 50% of us here?
I dislike Trump too, but i dislike Biden tenfold.
Slippery slope for a nice growing Lucid site to enter such a polarizing subject.
So, kindly, pretty please, let this forum stay out of politics?
Let's focus on Lucid.

Are we on the verge of entering into politics now?
Hoping @hmp10 realizes that he can easily alienate (statistically) 50% of us here?
I dislike Trump too, but i dislike Biden tenfold.
Slippery slope for a nice growing Lucid site to enter such a polarizing subject.
So, kindly, pretty please, let this forum stay out of politics?
Let's focus on Lucid.

Fair enough.

A school near us was completely renovated over the last 15 months. I was pleased to see that they put in two EV charging spaces. The school opened in early September but they have still not activated the charger.
I plan on talking to DC Public Schools about using such a charger before or after school hours when I get my Pure. It's in the best interest of the DC government to do so to increase EV adoption, which is their stated goal.
As to parking a Lucid on streets in our neighborhood, I think it is generally Ok. There are risks of course as this is a city. At least there are quite a few more expensive cars in our area that only or mostly park on the street.

Attachments

• 20230102_155030.jpg
    20230102_155030.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230102_155046.jpg
    20230102_155046.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
Back