I love this forum - look how far we got from the original post. I think we have come close to solving America's problems!
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Have a great weekend, everyone!
I disagree. It's not hypothetical!. Just a hypocritical jackass in my books.
So will they launch the top spec $80k Grand Touring version first? In my opinion that would be a mistake. Deliver at the $50k number first to show you can keep your promise, get buyers in the door, then roll out the top trims later. They haven’t done this yet with Air or Gravity so let’s see if they will with the mass market car.It’s worth noting thus far, unlike many other brands, Lucid has actually hit their entry price number. So I’m confident an actual $49,999 midsize will be sold.
Whether or not anyone will want that model is another story. But I have every confidence you will be able to drive midsize for that price.
I expect a high-end fully loaded midsize to be somewhere in the $80k range. Depending on how badly Lucid wants to continue to be thought of as a luxury brand. We have zero knowledge of what will be offered as options. I’m holding out hope for similar features to Air, including massage seats, heating and cooling seats and wheel, etc. We’ll see.
Unfortunately, the best move for automakers is to release the highest priced cars first. Here's a couple reasons:So will they launch the top spec $80k Grand Touring version first? In my opinion that would be a mistake. Deliver at the $50k number first to show you can keep your promise, get buyers in the door, then roll out the top trims later. They haven’t done this yet with Air or Gravity so let’s see if they will with the mass market car.
Exactly. Offering fully contented models first also allows the automaker to exercise more of the supply chain systems and manufacturing / assembly systems at controllable volume levels. The worst thing would be to get to second wave of product release and find out that there are issues with the 21-way power seats or installing the glass canopy. Trying to address and adjust in the midst of production volume ramp up can become an exercise in 3 dimensional chess.Unfortunately, the best move for automakers is to release the highest priced cars first. Here's a couple reasons:
1) Highest price is typically the highest profit, and Lucid can use the money.
2) Highest price typically has the lowest demand, and Lucid will need time to ramp up production.
With the PIF backstop the last thing Lucid needs is money - people who need/want the car but aren’t willing to pay top dollar for the high spec versions will go elsewhere and not wait around. In this market it would be smart to bring out the Earth and have all trim levels available right off the bat, especially when you know the R2 is coming soon, along with plenty of other choices in that ballpark.
Also - if the top trim comes in at $80k, why not just go Gravity? Have trims levels at 50k, 60k, 70k - then you are covered all the way up to $120k with choices.
What do I know - other than Lucid has to stick the landing perfectly, and if they still have the common issues on an $80k version of a car that was promised/marketed as the $50k version, it will crush them.
I have no interest in the Gravity as it is too large of a car for my needs. I would love a midsize car. I have no problem with 80K for a midisze. In fact, it's a bargain compared to my air GT. I'm sure there are others out there that don't mind paying a premium price for a smaller Lucid that has the same luxury, comfort, acceleration, braking, and handling as my AGT.With the PIF backstop the last thing Lucid needs is money - people who need/want the car but aren’t willing to pay top dollar for the high spec versions will go elsewhere and not wait around. In this market it would be smart to bring out the Earth and have all trim levels available right off the bat, especially when you know the R2 is coming soon, along with plenty of other choices in that ballpark.
Also - if the top trim comes in at $80k, why not just go Gravity? Have trims levels at 50k, 60k, 70k - then you are covered all the way up to $120k with choices.
What do I know - other than Lucid has to stick the landing perfectly, and if they still have the common issues on an $80k version of a car that was promised/marketed as the $50k version, it will crush them.
Same here. Air and Gravity are too big for my needs. I'm also the kind of person that prefers something "lower" on a tier that has full specs than taking something "higher" on the tiers but barely equippedI have no interest in the Gravity as it is too large of a car for my needs. I would love a midsize car. I have no problem with 80K for a midisze. In fact, it's a bargain compared to my air GT. I'm sure there are others out there that don't mind paying a premium price for a smaller Lucid that has the same luxury, comfort, acceleration, braking, and handling as my AGT.
And to have a minimal number of combinations to make inevitable troubleshooting as straight-forward as possible.Why not go Gravity? Because not everyone wants or needs a giant vehicle.
I’d much rather have a fully loaded midsize for my needs than a stripped down Gravity.
But that’s why having the choice is a good thing. Agreed.
The reason not to open up all trims at once was already stated. Lucid will not get it perfect at launch. No one does. Better to screw up a handful of cars than thousands. And scale up your service at the same time in a sane way.
Lucid will need not only a boatload of new techs. They will also need to train their current techs on a new model. That’s no small feat.
Also, if you offer midsize at $50k you are literally throwing away profit from those who would pay extra not to wait. As a shareholder, I’d have a pretty big bone to pick with that strategy.
You are acting as if Lucid doesn’t sell 2 million midsize on day one that the whole company will fold.I guess we’ll see - they need way better than Air or Gravity sales numbers with the midsize and the most expensive versions limit your market significantly. Only time will tell but plenty of people on this very forum bitched about having to wait to get the lower cost versions for Air and Gravity.
I completely understand, and even somewhat agree, but it hasn't worked that way in automotive for decades.Same here. Air and Gravity are too big for my needs. I'm also the kind of person that prefers something "lower" on a tier that has full specs than taking something "higher" on the tiers but barely equipped
I'm not talking within the realm of coupés or any other 2-doors. I'm talking about practical everyday vehicles, like a compact sedan vs midsize sedan, compact crossover vs midsize crossover. etc.istiq as pretty equivalent, luxury-wise, to the Escalade IQ (and IQL!), but Vistiq is till pretty big.
Yeah, you can get a 2-door Corvette instead of a 2-door Miata. Maybe this is the exception tha
Exactly. The S class exists to sell the E and C class.Unfortunately, the best move for automakers is to release the highest priced cars first. Here's a couple reasons:
1) Highest price is typically the highest profit, and Lucid can use the money.
2) Highest price typically has the lowest demand, and Lucid will need time to ramp up production.
Exactly! Especially while losing money on every vehicle. They don’t even have support network to service those.are setting yourself up for a world of disappointment. That’s simply not going to happen. It would lead to disaster if it did.
Can you cite a compact sedan or crossover that's high on the premium/luxury side of things?I'm not talking within the realm of coupés or any other 2-doors. I'm talking about practical everyday vehicles, like a compact sedan vs midsize sedan, compact crossover vs midsize crossover. etc.