• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Nio ET7 600+mi range for $71,000 (not in U.S.)

The real hurdle is the ability for them to actually sell the car here. I think there are A LOT of members here who would not consider this car at all because it's Chinese owned.

The real hurdle is the ability for them to actually sell the car here. I think there are A LOT of members here who would not consider this car at all because it's Chinese owned.
How many Lucid components come from China? (eg battery chemicals, etc) The car industry has been globalized for at least a decade, and it won't go back to the old way

"Members here" can swim against the tide...

BTW that car looks formidable--except for the taxi-bumps on it's forehead---ouch...!

Well more like, all your data is being sent back to China, not so much that parts are made in China.

Well more like, all your data is being sent back to China, not so much that parts are made in China.
This is what I was going to say. I’m less concerned about pieces being manufactured in China than I am about the PRC having access to me or my data.

Would not buy from a Chinese owned company for data privacy issues. If were not, would consider, although looks like a Tesla inside (I.e. a tablet on wheels) which I am not a fan of. If anything arrives before they deliver my Lucid that meets my 500 miles / 1000 km range requirement, I would be highly interested.

I’m sure there is still a market here as Polestar seems to be doing relatively ok and I haven’t really noticed that sentiment. Personally I would prefer to buy US made though

I thought they need to comply with the laws in the local markets they are entering? They are actually selling cars all over Europe. What makes the US so special?

Meh

I believe that driving anything with over 500 mile range is hauling around extra battery capacity for no good reason. 500 mile range means that you could drive at 70mph for 7+ hours WITHOUT STOPPING. Any more than that is a waste. I believe that a vehicle with 400-450 mile usable range is the sweet spot for an EV.

The iPad instead of a dashboard kills it for me.

Meh

I believe that driving anything with over 500 mile range is hauling around extra battery capacity for no good reason. 500 mile range means that you could drive at 70mph for 7+ hours WITHOUT STOPPING. Any more than that is a waste. I believe that a vehicle with 400-450 mile usable range is the sweet spot for an EV.

The iPad instead of a dashboard kills it for me.
Nio is currently doing battery subscriptions and swaps in Norway. That's a big thing in the minds of people that are afraid of how long it takes to charge an EV. The swap takes about 5 minutes so it's probably faster than getting gas.

As to data being collected by China, they can already buy your data from any number of American companies since the US has very weak data protection laws for consumers (Yes, Cali and MA have some better ones). I really wish that would change but it's where we are right now.

Nio is currently doing battery subscriptions and swaps in Norway. That's a big thing in the minds of people that are afraid of how long it takes to charge an EV. The swap takes about 5 minutes so it's probably faster than getting gas.

As to data being collected by China, they can already buy your data from any number of American companies since the US has very weak data protection laws for consumers (Yes, Cali and MA have some better ones). I really wish that would change but it's where we are right now.
My hope in the Lucid community has been restored after seeing a sensible comment like this.

I agree that the battery swap is a great idea. I have seen videos of NIO's other cars in a battery swap station getting a new fully charged battery in under 5 minutes. The concept of Battery As A Service (BAAS) has been floated (you own the car, but rent the battery), and I believe that it is the next step in EV adoption.

Battery swaps on Nio are interesting. Their cars accept three battery sizes (78, 100, 150kw if I remember correctly). An owner could use a 78KW around town, but switch to 150KW when planning a long road trip. Battery swaps not only are faster than charging, but they also allow you to have a lighter and better performing car until the time arrives that you need a heavier and longer range battery for road trips.

Nio comes to US in 2025. The longer range (621 miles) and ability to battery swap will impact their competition in the States.

Back