Nice Lucid Review on Electrek

If Lucid didn’t exist I’d no doubt be in a Tesla as we speak. Without them, I doubt we’d have Lucid, Rivian or any of the EV’s we see on the market today. OTA’s would be non-existent because traditional automakers are STILL struggling with it a decade after Tesla started doing it. Even down to the manufacturing process they’ve forced others to take a step back and rethink things. So credit where credit is due, we’re all benefiting off Tesla’s existence in some way or another and that should be recognized.

On the other hand, competition is good! It drives innovation. On the model front, I’ve found Tesla to have become a little complacent. The S & X refreshes weren’t anything amazing but I guess if they sell like hotcakes then don’t change what ain’t broke but it does appear to showing signs of having run its course, especially now that many more EV’s are on the market.

Then there’s Elon…… I think he’s doing more harm than good at the moment for Tesla but I do want to see Tesla, Lucid & Rivian all continue to succeed. The misinformation being spread about Lucid though by Elon and his loyal minions is frustrating. There’s plenty of room for them all to succeed without the need to deliberately spread lies and misinformation about the competition.
I actually agree completely. I would very much like to see Tesla innovate again, and to have a CEO at the helm who is focused on improving the business at hand, rather than everything else he's distracted by.

I agree with everything you said. It makes me sad to see Elon killing Tesla. I'd love to see more competition, but for now I'll be sticking to Lucid/Rivian.

I actually agree completely. I would very much like to see Tesla innovate again, and to have a CEO at the helm who is focused on improving the business at hand, rather than everything else he's distracted by.

I agree with everything you said. It makes me sad to see Elon killing Tesla. I'd love to see more competition, but for now I'll be sticking to Lucid/Rivian.
The latest Model 3 Highland is an insane car for the price. They just need to stop being "quirky" with things like no turn signals, the Cybertruck, etc. As you said, part of this stems from Elon himself.

The latest Model 3 Highland is an insane car for the price. They just need to stop being "quirky" with things like no turn signals, the Cybertruck, etc. As you said, part of this stems from Elon himself.
Disagree, personally.

Still no stalks. Still an empty interior. Changing gears, changing the climate, adjust which vents are active, etc. are all things you can do in less than a second in other vehicles and require multiple touches and looking away from the road in the 3. Still no speedo unless you look away from the road. The signals don't work if you touch them anywhere but exactly center; can't push it on an edge, you have to push the center of the signal button for it to activate, and it also holds that hand captive on that portion of the wheel. Flashing your high-beams is no longer a quick stalk pull, but a weird push and push on this other button.

Backseat still has relatively little room.

The rear touchscreen is neat.

The frunk is still useless/tiny.

Basically - it's an iteration on a (now) mediocre car, which they have made less expensive. I don't know if that counts as 'an insane car for the price.'

I want innovation, not iteration.

And I'm not trying to crap on Tesla. I just genuinely want them to do better.

Hm didn’t realize the 2024 AGT had a new heat pump upgrade. And why the 15-30% faster DC charging speed versus the old AGT? I wonder if the new heat pump can be retrofitted to my 2022 model 🤔

Hm didn’t realize the 2024 AGT had a new heat pump upgrade. And why the 15-30% faster DC charging speed versus the old AGT? I wonder if the new heat pump can be retrofitted to my 2022 model 🤔
My guess is they are using the same Samsung cells as they originally used. Pure unadulterated speculation on this though

My guess is they are using the same Samsung cells as they originally used. Pure unadulterated speculation on this though
My speculation is higher capacity battery cooling with the heat pump since one of the primary limits to fast charging is battery cooling. Again, pure speculation.

Man every thread devolves into somehow bashing on Tesla, even a thread started to highlight a good review of Lucid. It seems as though lots of people have an insecurity about Tesla and feel better about their decision by criticizing them. My Model S Plaid is fantastic and maybe the most fun I’ve had in a long time. If I owned a Lucid, I’m sure I’d feel the same way about that. I’m not a Lucid owner but I like reading about them and enjoy this forum, but the constant penis measuring gets old. Can you not just enjoy your car, acknowledge Tesla is also good, and get on with life? Or is your happiness only predicated on people hating T

My daughter has a new model three highland it drives exceptionally well, it’s safe/ the software always works/ supercharging is always hassle free. The perfect daily driver college commuter for her. She loves it and I’m happy to put her in it. No reply needed

I want innovation, not iteration.

And I'm not trying to crap on Tesla. I just genuinely want them to do better.

I think Tesla has reached a natural and necessary stage of evolution in moving its primary focus from developing new propulsion technology to advancing manufacturing technology in pursuit of getting EV pricing down. It is a step Lucid will soon have to take, especially if battery costs do not decline significantly. They have already started this with a motor that is designed for manufacturability and with the interior trim simplification of the Gravity -- although Lucid is maintaining a quality of materials and elegance of design that Tesla does not.

Leaving aside that every new tweet from Elon Musk makes me more determined never again to buy a product associated with him, my beefs with Tesla are that this move also seems to include a cheapening of the product in materials quality, removing hardware features, and going to extremes in eliminating tactile user-control interfaces in favor of too much control via screens (although some of that is driven by Musk's quirky design impulses instead of manufacturing simplification and cost reduction).

Tesla is becoming the Chevrolet of EV cars. That's the center of gravity of the mass market and is the reason for their sales success. I just hope Lucid stays more in the performance luxury lane. Mercedes, Audi, BMW, and Porsche have proven that lane is plenty wide for sales success and profitability. And their EV products thus far have shown they are not quick enough on the uptake to lock out innovative competitors.

especially if battery costs do not decline significantly.
A funny fact for the EV battery (that, hopefully soon, will decrease the costs dramatically)

—One of the latest breakthroughs, [developed by…] is derived from perhaps the most unexpected substance yet: 𝓤𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓮.

A funny fact for the EV battery (that, hopefully soon, will decrease the costs dramatically)

—One of the latest breakthroughs, [developed by…] is derived from perhaps the most unexpected substance yet: 𝓤𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓮.
I will test this by peeing all over your car next meetup and see if it improves your mileage. Let's do science!

I will test this by peeing all over your car next meetup and see if it improves your mileage. Let's do science!
Luci is NOT into golden showers, but we can “do science” on your “golden” Luci 🫣😝

Luci is NOT into golden showers, but we can “do science” on your “golden” Luci 🫣😝
My car is the control group and yours is the experimental group. That's why it's science.

Another interesting Lucid review popped up on YouTube late last week. It was by "Tailosive EV", who occasionally borders on being a Tesla fanboy. He and his wife did their first ever test drive of a Lucid (a Pure RWD) and were very impressed. In fact, his wife caught him off guard by saying she thought their next EV should be a Lucid. He ended up concluding that Lucid's problem was being at a price point with relatively few EV buyers, not the car itself.

I've said it before, and I continue to think that Lucid's biggest problem right now is getting eyes on the car and butts in the seats. The car does a very good job of selling itself, and at its new price point the Pure seems on the way to becoming a real contender.

Another interesting Lucid review popped up on YouTube late last week. It was by "Tailosive EV", who occasionally borders on being a Tesla fanboy. He and his wife did their first ever test drive of a Lucid (a Pure RWD) and were very impressed. In fact, his wife caught him off guard by saying she thought their next EV should be a Lucid. He ended up concluding that Lucid's problem was being at a price point with relatively few EV buyers, not the car itself.

I've said it before, and I continue to think that Lucid's biggest problem right now is getting eyes on the car and butts in the seats. The car does a very good job of selling itself, and at its new price point the Pure seems on the way to becoming a real contender.

Everyone who has seen my car and asks about it doesn't know what it is or even who Lucid is. Most times they think it's the model name belonging to another car company. Everyone who sits in it, looks inside it or comes along for a ride LOVES the car. I agree, Lucid's problem isn't with the car itself but the brand recognition & price. The price now is where it should have been from day 1 but the economy is now screwing them over. I was driving around LA last Friday and saw 5 Lucid's on my travels which was the most i've seen in a single day ever so the marketing & price reductions is clearly starting to take effect.

I fear the same is going to happen with Gravity on price and moving units under the current economic conditions. We all know the $80K version won't be the one that comes out day 1 and I hope that Lucid doesn't drag its feet getting to the lower priced variants like it did with the Pure. Time will tell.

@hmp10 - That is another great, pretty fair video review. I think I speak for many of us on the forum when I say that I always enjoying reading your posts. I couldn't agree more with your thoughts in this thread and how you have articulated them.

To your point, my story that got me into a Lucid is precisely that the car sold itself. When I began my search for a new car early last year, I never thought I would be in an EV nor did I think I would be in a sedan, having only ever driven SUVs. I ordered my Air the moment I returned to the Lucid studio after my test drive.

While it may have gotten old for some on the forum, I still relish those moments when a passerby comments "What kind of car is that?", "Who makes that car?", or my favorite from a young, future-Lucid owner, "Is that a spaceship?"

While it may have gotten old for some on the forum, I still relish those moments when a passerby comments "What kind of car is that?", "Who makes that car?", or my favorite from a young, future-Lucid owner, "Is that a spaceship?"
Lol, while the Lucid is an "older" person car for some due to the price, kids absolutely LOVE the design of it (ask me how I know..)! It does look futuristic without trying too hard (read: EV9), probably due to those clean lines.

my story that got me into a Lucid is precisely that the car sold itself
This 💯!
What got me interested at first was the range. Second thing was the drive, look, luxury, on and on and on and on… but If Luci did not drive the amazing way she does, or just drives like any other EV, I’d have gotten something more affordable.
This is why I try thinking of any kind of way I can help getting Luci seen. If she’s seen more, she’ll be test driven more and that’s it! 𝓢𝓸𝓵𝓭

my favorite from a young, future-Lucid owner, "Is that a spaceship?"
I heard the same thing from passing kids, and then to top it off the parents casually went along with it saying something like “yes, now let the spaceship go by before we cross.” Times like that I wish the Air had some light show / extra spaceship noise gimmick to make the kid’s day.

Everyone who has seen my car and asks about it doesn't know what it is or even who Lucid is. Most times they think it's the model name belonging to another car company. Everyone who sits in it, looks inside it or comes along for a ride LOVES the car. I agree, Lucid's problem isn't with the car itself but the brand recognition & price. The price now is where it should have been from day 1 but the economy is now screwing them over. I was driving around LA last Friday and saw 5 Lucid's on my travels which was the most i've seen in a single day ever so the marketing & price reductions is clearly starting to take effect.

I fear the same is going to happen with Gravity on price and moving units under the current economic conditions. We all know the $80K version won't be the one that comes out day 1 and I hope that Lucid doesn't drag its feet getting to the lower priced variants like it did with the Pure. Time will tell.
I think people looking for Premium/Luxury SUVs are more tolerant of $80-$100K prices. For example, the iX (which I think looks ugly), depending on trim and options, ranges from $87K → $130K, sold 4,827 units in 2022, and 17,301 units in 2023.
But, of course, I agree that Lucid should bring their Pure version of the Gravity quicker to market than they did with the Air Pure.

Back