New HOV sticker (CA)

JoshG

Verified Owner
Cars
AirT,M3LR,R8,NSX,718 GT4
Finally got my CA HOV Access sticker… in past years it’s typically been an obnoxious color like lime green or neon orange you’re expected to put on your pretty new car.

But how lucky that the new ‘24 one is a nice looking burgundy color. A near perfect match for Zenith Red!

IMG_2592.jpeg

Nice! It might be time to get one. Does it still expire next year?
Worse. All stickers expire November THIS year. And it took 4 months to arrive from date I sent it in. Hardly worth it.

Oh and yes I did mount mine on PPF for easy removal when program ends.

Worse. All stickers expire November THIS year. And it took 4 months to arrive from date I sent it in. Hardly worth it.

So it's even less worth it now. By the time I'd get it, I'd only have four months to use it. When I applied for them in 2018, it only took a few weeks to receive them.

So it's even less worth it now. By the time I'd get it, I'd only have four months to use it. When I applied for them in 2018, it only took a few weeks to receive them.
I think the recent ones expire 9/30/2025.

Last edited:
How long did it take to get yours? I've been waiting 2 months now. I use the Pay lanes in the Bay Area and can't get the new fast track till i get my stickers!

How long did it take to get yours? I've been waiting 2 months now. I use the Pay lanes in the Bay Area and can't get the new fast track till i get my stickers!
@JoshG said four months. I have no idea why it should take four months to pick a sticker out of a box and put it in the mail.

@JoshG said four months. I have no idea why it should take four months to pick a sticker out of a box and put it in the mail.
Because government. Try getting a permit to build an ADU!

Oops, @Genghis is correct... and a clarification on your post: ALL stickers, from any year and of any color, not just the "recent ones", expire on that date.
(source: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/current-clean-air-vehicle-decal)

I thought in an earlier post in this thread that they expired later this year, but since it's actually September of next year, yes, it's still worth applying.
I have very much enjoyed the use of the carpool lanes. I will miss it when it is gone.

Does anyone know if the decals actually remove easily from PPF film?

I know they sell die cut PPF specifically to put under the stickers since the PPF can be removed from paint ... but I didn't think the decal was easy to remove from PPF film.

I know they sell die cut PPF specifically to put under the stickers since the PPF can be removed from paint ... but I didn't think the decal was easy to remove from PPF film.
Haven't tried to remove it from the PPF. I used the die-cut ones from TWraps.

Are you asking about if you had put your HOV sticker right onto your full car's PPF directly? I'm sure it's doable... and preferable to having put it right onto the paint.

Ask me in Oct, 2025 🤣

Yeah, it's crazy. I raced to get the application and my check in the day I got my permanent metal plates (requirement before you apply). Figured it would take 10-14 days, like my past CA EV's. They must be so backed up, or have already starting cutting headcount in this group since the program is officially ending soon, so it took nearly 4 months for mine to come.

Oddly, my metal plates from the CA DMV came SUPER fast, like under a week from delivery day of my car. But the HOV stickers seems completely different.

But, YMMV... maybe mine got dropped behind a desk and lost for several months.

On the Tesla forums they say that it takes three to four months if you mail in your application. However, those who apply on the website are getting approved in about a week.

When I looked, I did not see a website application ... can someone point me to it?

On the Tesla forums they say that it takes three to four months if you mail in your application. However, those who apply on the website are getting approved in about a week.
Approval in a week. How long until you get stickers mailed to you?
When I looked, I did not see a website application ... can someone point me to it?
I've found that it's better to do a google search for what you need from DMV rather than try to find it on their web site. It is the worst site I have ever tried to navigate.

All stickers expire in 2025. I bought ioniq 5 for my wife leased Dec 8th and bought out and received title but still not CAV certificate 2.5 months after sending 2 checks. 1 with the temp registration and 1 with the permanent one and did not cash either and no response. Orange stickers expire January 1, 2024; blue stickers expire January 1, 2025; and yellow and green stickers expire September 30, 2025.Burgundy decals expire September 30, 2025.

Back