Nema 14–50 outlet

Ovfitbob

Cars
2016 Honda accord EXL
I want to install a Nema 14-50 outlet with a 50 amp breaker in my garage. My electrician said it’s OK to use eight gauge wire because it would be within code, but I’m thinking six gauge might be better. There’s only going be about a 6 foot run of wire from the circuit breaker to the outlet.
Is it better to use the six gauge wire instead of the eight?

Thanks.

It depends on the EVSE you are going to be using and how many Amps you are going to pull with it. Most of the EVSE units out there pull 32 amps and the 8 guage would be fine. I have a ChargePoint Flex EVSE which can pull up to 50 if hardwired and I put in 6 gauge with a NEMA 14-50 outlet My ChargePoint is set to 40 amps which is the most a 14-50 outlet can handle. If you want to hardwire the Chargepoint flex to pull 50 amps, you will want a 70 amp circuit with 3 gauge wire. If you are drawing 40 amps, the Lucid is getting 9.6 kW per hour which would add about 58 kWh to the battery in a 6h super-off peak (CA) overnight run. It comes down to how long you are able to charge and calculating the speed you Need for the kWh you want.

Of course the Lucid Air can pull 80 amps (19.2 kW) if the EVSE can handle it. I would almost have the electrician pull wire for a a 100 amp circuit as the Lucid home charger will be at 80 amps for bidirectional charging if you want it. If you have two electric Cars, you might want that capability.

It depends on the EVSE you are going to be using and how many Amps you are going to pull with it. Most of the EVSE units out there pull 32 amps and the 8 guage would be fine. I have a ChargePoint Flex EVSE which can pull up to 50 if hardwired and I put in 6 gauge with a NEMA 14-50 outlet My ChargePoint is set to 40 amps which is the most a 14-50 outlet can handle. If you want to hardwire the Chargepoint flex to pull 50 amps, you will want a 70 amp circuit with 3 gauge wire. If you are drawing 40 amps, the Lucid is getting 9.6 kW per hour which would add about 58 kWh to the battery in a 6h super-off peak (CA) overnight run. It comes down to how long you are able to charge and calculating the speed you Need for the kWh you want.

Of course the Lucid Air can pull 80 amps (19.2 kW) if the EVSE can handle it. I would almost have the electrician pull wire for a a 100 amp circuit as the Lucid home charger will be at 80 amps for bidirectional charging if you want it. If you have two electric Cars, you might want that capability.
Thanks. I have time to decide as the Lucid Touring won’t be coming for a while. I just wanted to get everything in place.

I want to install a Nema 14-50 outlet with a 50 amp breaker in my garage. My electrician said it’s OK to use eight gauge wire because it would be within code, but I’m thinking six gauge might be better. There’s only going be about a 6 foot run of wire from the circuit breaker to the outlet.

Thanks.
Your electrician is partially correct, if he uses THW, THWN, THWN-2, THHN COPPER wire. If he uses NM-B or UF-B or ALUMINUM wire, he would be in violation of the National Electrical Code. If your run is 6', using #6 is a no-brainer. Extra cost is miniscule. And use copper wiring.

Thanks.
definitely use #6 ... the extra expensive over 8 is pocket change

Recommendation from Lucid is to run the wire for 100amp since their EVSE will be bi-directional and supply 80 amps. If its a short run go with the largest gauge.

Recommendation from Lucid is to run the wire for 100amp since their EVSE will be bi-directional and supply 80 amps. If its a short run go with the largest gauge.
To be clear, if you want to install Lucid's bi-directional charger at the full 80-amp capacity, you will need #3 THWN or THHN COPPER wire. If you want a 14-50 outlet, then #6.

Back