Need honest feedback from current owners

Z-Squad

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
DE Number
I don't mean to provoke the haters, but I am in analysis paralysis and need some honest feedback. I just got my VIN assigned for my AGT Gray/Mojave/20 in wheels, and have been trolling the blogs and reading all the current issues on the forum regarding both minor and major issues with the Lucid GT, some requiring service for weeks/months in some cases. I have no desire to deal with service issues and the hassle of it. Of those of you who took delivery in the last few months, has anyone had no (or almost no) issues whatsoever? I would expect that issues in this car would be in the minority, however, not the impression I am getting from all of the posts.

I also posted a question about DDP Highway Assist - I currently have a 2014 Tesla S and I if I have to go backwards on the Autopilot functionality, it is a non-starter. Any input from anyone who has already done the 2.0 upgrade and tested this out?

Also concerned about the heat and glare in Arizona through the glass roof -- has that been improved yet or is it even an issue in the Arizona summer sun? I also have a second Touring reservation, so contemplating letting go of my AGT and forfeiting the $1000 and letting Lucid get more of the kinks out in the next several months before going with the Touring and potentially the hard roof.

I would appreciate any thoughts or insights from anyone who has been contemplating any of the same issues (remember kindness always is the better road).

Thanks in advance.

Also concerned about the heat and glare in Arizona through the glass roof -- has that been improved yet or is it even an issue in the Arizona summer sun? I also have a second Touring reservation, so contemplating letting go of my AGT and forfeiting the $1000 and letting Lucid get more of the kinks out in the next several months before going with the Touring and potentially the hard roof.
Heat and glare are very subjective. I would say most people, including me, did not have any issue with the heat or glare from the glass roof during the summer. I did tint the side and rear windows but not the windshield or ceiling. I have been happy with the glass cieling and the AC in the car. There are few people on the forum that find the heat gain uncomfortable and the AC inadequate to keep up.

I don't mean to provoke the haters, but I am in analysis paralysis and need some honest feedback. I just got my VIN assigned for my AGT Gray/Mojave/20 in wheels, and have been trolling the blogs and reading all the current issues on the forum regarding both minor and major issues with the Lucid GT, some requiring service for weeks/months in some cases. I have no desire to deal with service issues and the hassle of it. Of those of you who took delivery in the last few months, has anyone had no (or almost no) issues whatsoever? I would expect that issues in this car would be in the minority, however, not the impression I am getting from all of the posts.

I also posted a question about DDP Highway Assist - I currently have a 2014 Tesla S and I if I have to go backwards on the Autopilot functionality, it is a non-starter. Any input from anyone who has already done the 2.0 upgrade and tested this out?

I would appreciate any thoughts or insights from anyone who has been contemplating any of the same issues (remember kindness always is the better road).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
You've been on this board for 7 months and searching blogs and other posts in search of assurance to push the button. You got enough information early on to confirm your reservation, and now have received you VIN number -- delivery is nearing!

I suspect there is not a single comment to be offered here that will give you the ironclad assurance you might be most comfortable receiving. All you will get is more of what you already have seen, with one exception -- it's getting better.

You are an experienced car owner and are not seeking perfection (well, maybe close to it) in your AGT. We all know that's not happening, and has not happened with any EV product.

So, you might be left in a heart/head dilemma. Your heart wants the car, but your head doesn't want you played for a fool.

Here's my 'two cents':

Your head has helped you navigate successfully to this point in your life, with all kinds of ups, downs, challenges, surprises, and no doubt failures along the way. It has proven itself in the face of uncertainty.

Your heart has been tempered and nurtured (for good reasons and with good outcomes) along the way.

Now, the heart seeks expression beyond the Tesla S. It is drawn to the AGT for an aesthetic and driving experience the head acknowledges, but wants more certainty -- if at all possible.

You asked for feedback, not counsel, but I'll offer both.
1. The car is the most demonstrably incredible performing vehicle I have every driven in 56 years; period, full stop.
2. The software issues are being addressed; slow at the beginning, faster now, but very likely a lifetime product improvement dynamic.
3. Trust your heart and just let your head drive. If it works for you, satisfaction will be your reward. If it doesn't, you'll deal with it anyway.

Push the button! 😀

I received the car at the beginning of September and have recently updated to v2.0.20. Has this been glitch-free? No, this is a start-up. The software has come a long way from the original which came with the car. Mobile Service has been timely and excellent: came out to fix one window seal and a frozen Navigation system shortly after delivery and a second time for a major camera issue, fob replacement, and the Navigation again, which occurred early in the update process but has apparently been fixed by the latest update. There are still a few glitches, but the infotainment and camera speeds and functions are much improved. The EA charging system needs some work, but I charge 95% of the time at home and have found a couple reliable EA chargers and have accounts with some other networks for backups in an emergency.

All that being said, the drive performance of the car and interior comfort are excellent, not to mention the range and the really expansive camera systems. The audio isn't too shabby either. The latest updates added improved ACC and Highway Assist (lane-centering). I had a Tesla Model Y for a year (never rode in a Model S, so the Y was pretty basic) with just Autopilot and rented the FSD for one month to test it out, and sold my car shortly thereafter. The ride of the Model Y was pretty rough, I pretty much stopped using Autopilot because of Phantom Breaking, and I never got comfortable with the FSD or trusted the Autopilot, and I grew to actively dislike the single screen display. The Highway Assist seems much more graceful than Autopilot. Once it is on, it is on. It takes minimal effort to move the car into another lane - the system automatically disengages, and then easily re-engages itself once you are in the new lane (or are passing). Signal and then move back to the old/another lane in the same manner. Right now it is limited to major highways, which is fine with me until it matures, but it centers pretty well. I've only had one incident where I almost took over with a particularly sharp curve on a highway at speed. With Autopilot, it was a struggle to move out of the lane and it shut off and had to be manually turned back on. The new headlights' operation in rural areas and windy roads are amazing at night, and the auto high beams also work incredibly well. The only thing I miss about the Model Y was the height of the seats getting in and out and sometimes the hatchback, as well as the SuperCharger network, but I do infrequent long trips and believe the EA network will improve over time.

I'm not in a hot spot in the country (New England), and the heat/glare from the sun has not been an issue - will probably feel pretty good come winter.

Good luck making your decision. Hope this feedback helped.

As for my 2 cents, car does drive great, acceleration and ride. But you really have to accept this is not a typical luxury car in many, many ways. I am still waiting for the 2.0 software update, my navigation has not ever worked since delivery (and apparently nothing to do except hope for a future software fix, and a few other concerns (double lights in windshield at night, little or no bass sound, and only adaptive cruise working to date).

So I think you are aware of both the love a lot of folks have for this car and a lot of the current eccentricities and hope for future software fixes that are not present yet and have no set roll out dates.

I received the car at the beginning of September and have recently updated to v2.0.20. Has this been glitch-free? No, this is a start-up. The software has come a long way from the original which came with the car. Mobile Service has been timely and excellent: came out to fix one window seal and a frozen Navigation system shortly after delivery and a second time for a major camera issue, fob replacement, and the Navigation again, which occurred early in the update process but has apparently been fixed by the latest update. There are still a few glitches, but the infotainment and camera speeds and functions are much improved. The EA charging system needs some work, but I charge 95% of the time at home and have found a couple reliable EA chargers and have accounts with some other networks for backups in an emergency.

All that being said, the drive performance of the car and interior comfort are excellent, not to mention the range and the really expansive camera systems. The audio isn't too shabby either. The latest updates added improved ACC and Highway Assist (lane-centering). I had a Tesla Model Y for a year (never rode in a Model S, so the Y was pretty basic) with just Autopilot and rented the FSD for one month to test it out, and sold my car shortly thereafter. The ride of the Model Y was pretty rough, I pretty much stopped using Autopilot because of Phantom Breaking, and I never got comfortable with the FSD or trusted the Autopilot, and I grew to actively dislike the single screen display. The Highway Assist seems much more graceful than Autopilot. Once it is on, it is on. It takes minimal effort to move the car into another lane - the system automatically disengages, and then easily re-engages itself once you are in the new lane (or are passing). Signal and then move back to the old/another lane in the same manner. Right now it is limited to major highways, which is fine with me until it matures, but it centers pretty well. I've only had one incident where I almost took over with a particularly sharp curve on a highway at speed. With Autopilot, it was a struggle to move out of the lane and it shut off and had to be manually turned back on. The new headlights' operation in rural areas and windy roads are amazing at night, and the auto high beams also work incredibly well. The only thing I miss about the Model Y was the height of the seats getting in and out and sometimes the hatchback, as well as the SuperCharger network, but I do infrequent long trips and believe the EA network will improve over time.

I'm not in a hot spot in the country (New England), and the heat/glare from the sun has not been an issue - will probably feel pretty good come winter.

Good luck making your decision. Hope this feedback helped.
There you go, nzoneraich!

Thanks in advance.
Heat and glare are very subjective. I would say most people, including me, did not have any issue with the heat or glare from the glass roof during the summer. I did tint the side and rear windows but not the windshield or ceiling. I have been happy with the glass cieling and the AC in the car. There are few people on the forum that find the heat gain uncomfortable and the AC inadequate to keep up.

I went through identical mental gymnastics prior to receiving my car.
I live 800 miles from the nearest service center in a remote part of the country and always have a nagging what if in the back of my brain. I have had the car for 2 months and it has been trouble free. Do I think it will be always be trouble free ? Unlikely , given Lucid is a brand new manufacturer. Do I want to deal with the inconvenience of trying to get service in the middle of nowhere? Not really.
Considering all the negatives, worrying about everything I read on the forums prior to receiving my vehicle, etc, am I glad I went forward? That’s an emphatic yes. The car is so much fun to drive and I look forward to driving it to work every day. When I’ve had a bad day at work I just drive a few extra miles and listen to music to help me improve my outlook.
If you have other vehicles you can fall back on in the event of a malfunction that’s even better for one’s peace of mind, but many have the car as their only vehicle and are just fine.
Major failures are actually quite infrequent , but they certainly happen, as you are well aware.
The software hassles are real but are being addressed. I have occasionally been frustrated with software hiccups , but not enough to make me regret my purchase and I know they are working tirelessly to improve.
As far as the glass roof, I received my car during a heatwave when it was near 100 degrees here and I didn’t find it uncomfortable . That being said, I am applying a slight tint to the glass, because I thought the glare was just a tad strong.

I’ve never been a car aficionado, but now that I own the AGT , I am almost obsessed with it. I am so very grateful I stuck to my initial decision to get the vehicle, and part of that fun had been interacting with all the fantastic people here on this forum, who I have learned so much from.

You’ll get so much support here if you have questions or concerns and yes, if you have a malfunction too!!

I hope too see a picture of your new ride soon.

I’ve posted before that my car is as close to perfect as Lucid can make a car at this point. Picked it up at the end of Sept. I’m on 2.0.20 and I haven’t experienced the issues others have reported other than one instance where I couldn’t charge at an EA site but all other EA sites have worked for me. The only short fall is the very low end bass frequencies with the sound system. From mid-bass up, it’s a strong performer. OK, there are a couple of minor issues - on the latest release, highway assist isn’t as smooth as ACC was in earlier releases in maintaining speed and adjusting to cars entering or leaving your lane. With HA, the steering wheel is finicky about how you hold it - can be a bit frustrating. I’m aware that at any time something serious might bite me but I’m also assured that the vast majority have not suffered a major failure.

I was pretty skeptical about the value of massage seats. I’ll say that I’m happy to have massage seats after going through a day and night with a migraine where my usual remedies didn’t work, I got out of bed this morning feeling terrible and sat in the car for 35 minutes getting a massage and listening to music. Came out feeling better.

My car has had only minor fitment issues which they resolved immediately, up until the recent battery failure, which they handled with grace and urgency. Get it back tomorrow, and could not miss it more.

It is, without question, the best car I've ever driven, and even beats my ICE favorite, the twinturbo Audi R8.

Just giving you one more data point of a very happy customer. My car was delivered in nearly perfect condition. I'm pretty particular but I don't expect perfection. Based on what I was reading on the forum, I was really expecting to have a long checklist of things for them to fix but there was nothing. I drove away with one thing on their to do list. A bluetooth connection issue with my phone which resolved itself 30 minute later.

Physically, the only thing I've found wrong with the car was a minor ceiling trim issue that honestly, may have been knocked loose by the tint installer. Mobile service came out and fixed it within a few days.

Software has not been perfect but (knock on wood), I have not had any major issues after a few thousand miles. Charging has been mostly fine for me also.

Oh, I'm mid-Atlantic and I'm one of the people that doesn't love the sun and heat gain. My wife hates it. I'm coming from a Model X so quite accustomed to it. I'd say out of the box, it's better than the Model X. I tinted my model X and tinted this one. I put 35%. It looks like it's 20% to begin with. If I were to do it again, I'd probably do 20% instead of 35%. I did 35% on the sides as well. To be clear, that's 35% light through so you can think of it as 65% tint. It's helped a lot and I love the car.

If you don't love the glass and you're worried about the software glitches and you don't need the 500 mi range, then save a few bucks and go with the later model. But as someone that's owned a Tesla, you're likely used to the minor software glitches so I think you'll be fine.

@nzoneraich I think you'll love the car like many of us do, but like other's here, it's all about expectations. They are a brand new car company and not everything will be perfect, and the infrastructure to deal with issues varies widely based on your location. I think AZ has a local service center so you're good. The service teams are taking the brunt of the company's growing pains so my advice (which I adhere to myself) is that you treat them with respect, thanks and be patient whenever you can. Everyone that I've interacted with has responded with care and urgency.

Oh, and first time you launch the car - YOU'LL BE ADDICTED.

Your mind led you to this juncture with series of good decisions in your life. Now you can follow your heart. I did, I never regret it. There are times of minor annoyance with this car but they were outweighed by the driving dynamic. This car just make you smile. It is THE best car I ever drove and may likely be for the next decade as it activates subsystems and improves with OTA updates. I thought only convertible sports cars make me smile, I was wrong. This AGT is literally the future of today. I’ll keep it simple here. You get my point.

It's funny - I didn't even particularly want the Air. I just wanted its range for road trips into remote locations that otherwise would be very difficult to reach in an EV. But after our first, relatively short 400-mile roundtrip, I found that I really, really like the car - far more than the ambivalent experience I had after two local pre-purchase test drives. My car was delivered a couple weeks ago without any issues save for software; I'm confident those will be resolved by OTA soon. My previous car ownership experience includes four other EVs of various brands including a Model 3; various SUVs, Lexuses, BMW, a couple Ferraris and a Maserati.

I have owned 4 Model Ss since 2013. I am selling my latest one (a 2021) now I have acquired the Air. I’ve been driving my ATG for a few weeks now, and taken several 300+ mile trips in it. Honestly there is absolutely no comparison when looking at all the aspects of the vehicle that are fixed: ride, comfort, sound system, HVAC, BSR, NVH, etc. Way way way ahead of Tesla. Are there a few minor things? Yes, but no more than with any other new car I have purchased over the years (I’m 63, so there’s been a lot of them!). None of my issues are debilitating, and I am saving up a short list to be taken care of during my first mobile service.

I’m still waiting for UX 2, and so the software has some room for improvement. But that can, and will change. As an early Tesla adopter I know that, and the rate of progress that I am seeing from the Lucid software team is a LOT faster than it was for Tesla. Of course Lucid is standing on Tesla’s shoulders to a certain extent, but nevertheless, I am confident that within a month or two, the software will be up to par with Tesla’s (excluding FSD which is pretty much a waste of money at this point).

Should you wait? Maybe. But honestly, from a hardware standpoint, you won’t see any improvements. You will only be waiting for the software, so why not begin enjoying the car now? When you get in and start driving, you will be blown away.

I'm happy with the car and have had very few problems. I think forums like this tend to amplify negative comments and positive ones are not heard.

I'm also someone who chose the car primarily because of range. I'm not a driving enthusiast and no amount of people telling me that it's the best driving car they have ever had is convincing to me if it is not comfortable with a core set of features that work. Navigation is fair, but not great. Charging has worked (we did a 6,500 mile cross country trip and only had one EA failure out of about 25 times we charged).

The only feature that is missing I consider a show-stopper is CarPlay. I had decided a while ago I would never own another car without it. The many promises that it is on its way are why I went ahead and bought the car. I'm waiting patiently so far, but don't like how often I have to pick up my phone while driving.

I just took delivery a week ago of my AGT - no fit or finish issues that I can see - the car came with 2.0.14 and has now updated to 2.0.18 so I have UX2.0, and it is a very dramatic improvement. I agree with other posters - driving the car is an amazing experience. Is the SW bug free? Nope, but neither has any modern car I've bought - and the answer from the legacy car makers is 'buy the new car to get better software'. This is my first EV and so far has been an amazingly positive experience! I live in Arizona and was somewhat concerned about the glass roof, but it is at least 25% tinted from the factory - I can't see it being much of an issue except for the very hottest days. Go for it!

I took delivery of my AGT in May and have almost 6,000 miles on it. Most of the miles are from local driving except with one trip from Seattle to Sacramento and back. I love driving my AGT and trip to CA with my son was a blast. The look on his face as he accelerated out of the rest stops was priceless. The acceleration in SMOOTH mode is awesome. I haven't has the nerve to even try the other modes. This is my first EV and is the most car I have ever owned in my 61 years of driving. Mechanically the car is almost perfect. With each software update it keeps getting better. As a retired Aerospace engineer, I know that no Software is ever perfect and updates are notorious for having new bugs. No matter how careful software engineers are software bugs will occur. With the thousands of lines of code, it is impossible to catch all the corner conditions that user can create.

The only real issue I have right now is the Navigation system. Right now, it is totally INOP. Does it make the car less fun to drive, not in the least. Right now, my AGT is scheduled to be picked up by the Seattle Service Center to fix it plus a couple of nitpick issues. As long the car is safe to drive and the software provides the basic safety features like adaptive cruise control, I am willing to wait for the next OTA. I don't not expect a self-driving car or want one. That capability is years away, not matter what someone else says. I want a car that helps me be a safer driver

I read a lot about complaints about the sound system and related APPS. With my hearing, a regular radio would sound the same as the best audio system, so I am the last person to complain about it. Whether we ever get Apple Play or whatever, makes no difference to me as none of my other cars have it. As far as SiriusXM, I had a trial subscription and was not impressed. That was 8 years ago, so maybe it has gotten better.

No car will ever be perfect, there will always be something that could be better or be included. Everyone has different expectations in what a car should do. Buy the car and enjoy it and know that the software will just get better.

I would bet on at least 10 million lines of code! (Including the underlying OS)

It's funny - I didn't even particularly want the Air. I just wanted its range for road trips into remote locations that otherwise would be very difficult to reach in an EV. But after our first, relatively short 400-mile roundtrip, I found that I really, really like the car - far more than the ambivalent experience I had after two local pre-purchase test drives. My car was delivered a couple weeks ago without any issues save for software; I'm confident those will be resolved by OTA soon. My previous car ownership experience includes four other EVs of various brands including a Model 3; various SUVs, Lexuses, BMW, a couple Ferraris and a Maserati.
If you can tolerate Ferrari reliability, then Lucid is looking amazing!!!

If you can tolerate Ferrari reliability, then Lucid is looking amazing!!!
They were Enzo-era classics, so kind of in a different category. But the Maser was contemporary and actually very reliable. Much better than our Mercedes and Chevy SUVs

Back