Need honest feedback from current owners

Z-Squad

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
DE Number
I don't mean to provoke the haters, but I am in analysis paralysis and need some honest feedback. I just got my VIN assigned for my AGT Gray/Mojave/20 in wheels, and have been trolling the blogs and reading all the current issues on the forum regarding both minor and major issues with the Lucid GT, some requiring service for weeks/months in some cases. I have no desire to deal with service issues and the hassle of it. Of those of you who took delivery in the last few months, has anyone had no (or almost no) issues whatsoever? I would expect that issues in this car would be in the minority, however, not the impression I am getting from all of the posts.

I also posted a question about DDP Highway Assist - I currently have a 2014 Tesla S and I if I have to go backwards on the Autopilot functionality, it is a non-starter. Any input from anyone who has already done the 2.0 upgrade and tested this out?

Also concerned about the heat and glare in Arizona through the glass roof -- has that been improved yet or is it even an issue in the Arizona summer sun? I also have a second Touring reservation, so contemplating letting go of my AGT and forfeiting the $1000 and letting Lucid get more of the kinks out in the next several months before going with the Touring and potentially the hard roof.

I would appreciate any thoughts or insights from anyone who has been contemplating any of the same issues (remember kindness always is the better road).

Thanks in advance.

I agree with many of the issues you have raised. The HomeLink issue is very annoying. The cell phone charger is useless, especially with my iPhone Pro Max, and the autopilot still needs a lot of improvement. The Sirius XM receiver is hit and
miss, and I really wish they would get Apple Car Play. I also wish you could send an address to the navigation system through the app, making trip planning easier.
Try the Bobby MagSafe puck or the jonnyc magsafe puck solution elsewhere in this forum. It’s honestly fantastic.

You can send an address to nave through the app (this was available even in 1.0.4 when I first got my DE), and now you can even share an address to the app with any other mapping application or anytime you select an address.

Since you are in NewEngland, curious to hear what range are you getting in mi/kWh. I am in Boston and coming close to a delivery date. I do drive fast, 80+ in highways, so wondering what your experience has been this winter. Thanks!
Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. My car was hit back in early November and it is still in the shop for repairs. My speeds are more like 70-75 on the highway tops, so if/when I ever get my car back and drive it in the cold, I'll let you know. My efficiency back then was 3.2-3.7+ overall. VictoryRoad is also a New Englander and has posted some information on his effficiency in the cold, if you want to search that out. I DO love the car, though... and miss it.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. My car was hit back in early November and it is still in the shop for repairs. My speeds are more like 70-75 on the highway tops, so if/when I ever get my car back and drive it in the cold, I'll let you know. My efficiency back then was 3.2-3.7+ overall. VictoryRoad is also a New Englander and has posted some information on his effficiency in the cold, if you want to search that out. I DO love the car, though... and miss it.
Really sorry to hear about your car. Hope you get it back soon and can enjoy the ride. Great to hear you loved it. Thanks for the tip on VictoryRoad.

Here is the second part of the post -- continued...
  • Homelink Garage Opener: LOVE the fact that there are 15 doors it can control. HATE the fact that the garage door can't be set to auto-open and auto-close upon arrival and departure. My 2014 Tesla can do this. Seems like an easier software fix to be done at Lucid. Just annoying. More annoying due to the Parking Camera issue above preventing access to the Homelink menu to close the garage upon exiting. When I reported this to Customer Service, I was surprised when the rep told me he had not yet fielded this concern or request, but was going to add it to the feature request queue.
  • Glass Roof and Tinting: In general, the window glass has a reasonably dark tint, however, it is winter in Arizona so can't really tell anything about how good the heat resistance really is -- Arizona's summer will really test it. I did end up getting the side and back windows tinted to 20% with XPEL XR+ and it looks great. Given the all glass windshield and roof, I did find that there was a glare from the sun, especially at certain times of day where the sun is not obscured by the visor and comes in through the glass around the visor. Therefore, I opted to have my tint shop install a 5% visor strip that starts about 1 inch above the A-line and goes to about the end of the visor, and I find that it works great and has no impact on my forward visibility. You can't really even notice it from outside the car, but does decrease that "Airy" feeling a little from the inside, but that isn't a big deal to me.
  • Mobile Key: In general it works well, however, I have not yet figured out how to consistently keep the App open in the background so it recognizes me approaching the vehicle without having to unlock my phone AND open the Lucid App and then waiting the 30 seconds for the car/App to wake up and recognize the mobile key and unlock the doors. I asked about this at the Lucid Service Center, and the Service tech said that it should work identical to Tesla's mobile App and stay open in the background (settings are correct to Allow Location Always) and they suggested I uninstall and reinstall the App, but this did not fix this issue. Hopefully this will be a software fix sometime soon.
  • Cup Holders: Really a huge miss on the part of Lucid. Placement next to the main lower screen blocks access and the size is way too small. Same with the rear cup holders in the arm rest. Luckily, after much trial and error, I did find cup holders that work well on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFW8TH42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 and this has solved the problem. Not sure what the designers were thinking on this one with layout of the whole center area.
  • Cell Phone charger: Very finicky and too tight (especially for phones with cases and those stick on credit card holder on the back). In reality, almost useless. The charging pad area is too small so the phone has to be at just the right placement for the charger to engage and no easy way to confirm that it is charging (would be nice to have a green light or something similar). Placement is also suboptimal and should have been placed where the cup holders are and vice versa.
Overall Impression: After some adjustment period from my Tesla S, and getting used to settings and button location, I really, really love the car. I think it fills the niche of the performance luxury electric car with all of the added features and amenities, like comfortable seats, and the 450+ mile range is critical for me. Do I really think it is worth the $150K ? Realistically, the value driven side of me says probably not, however, aside from the Mercedes EQE and EQS which fully loaded is around the same price point and is still slightly lagging on the mileage range, there is no other real contender out there that comes close. I do think that if Tesla opted to create a Tesla S sedan that catered to the more luxury minded consumer -- i.e. add an option for comfortable luxury seats like that of the Volvo, Mercedes, or BMW, and a more plush interior in conjunction with a range > 450 miles, then Lucid would have a much harder sell and have a real competitor. However, that doesn't exist at this point and all of the luxury makers right now can't seem to touch the efficiency and range of the Lucid. So, in conclusion, my answer for the present is YES -- it may be worth the $ 150 K in the current market ! However, my guess is that in the next 1-2 years, the other luxury automakers will catch up in technology and offerings and battery range, in which case, there is going to be stiff competition for Lucid and at that point, I would have to think twice unless the improvements and enhancements that I think will be forthcoming, keeps Lucid ahead of all its competitors.

Hope this helps anyone out there that is struggling with the decision, as I was a few months ago.
I'm a Tesla S driver, too. I still have it because of lifetime free supercharging. I've had the Lucid about 2-months with only 1200 miles on it. I agree with all of your issues that you listed. I just completed a visit with Lucid mobile service for one problem. Although I have most of the issues you listed, the one I called for service about is the motor whine. Overall, the Lucid is much quieter than the Tesla S, which has lots of wind, tire and other noises, but no motor whine, so I thought this nose, that I find annoying, was a specific problem with my car. Now based on the service call, I know that motor whine is common in all Lucid vehicles so I'm very disappointed. It's obvious that Lucid has done a lot to make this a luxurious and quiet driving vehicle, but it's hard to believe that they didn't do something to either eliminate the noise or block it from the passenger compartment.

I'm a Tesla S driver, too. I still have it because of lifetime free supercharging. I've had the Lucid about 2-months with only 1200 miles on it. I agree with all of your issues that you listed. I just completed a visit with Lucid mobile service for one problem. Although I have most of the issues you listed, the one I called for service about is the motor whine. Overall, the Lucid is much quieter than the Tesla S, which has lots of wind, tire and other noises, but no motor whine, so I thought this nose, that I find annoying, was a specific problem with my car. Now based on the service call, I know that motor whine is common in all Lucid vehicles so I'm very disappointed. It's obvious that Lucid has done a lot to make this a luxurious and quiet driving vehicle, but it's hard to believe that they didn't do something to either eliminate the noise or block it from the passenger compartment.
Did you notice it during your test drive?

It’s funny. My wife just said to me today she wasn’t crazy about the motor whine at first, but now she’s grown to like it. I could take it or leave it. Certainly doesn’t bother me. I’ll take that sound over my Model 3’s road noise any day. But it is a polarizing “feature.” All design choices are a compromise.

Personally, I hate the “artificial” noises a lot of other cars make. Porsche charges you extra for fake engine noises, spaceship noises, etc. I like that the Lucid’s motor noise is the actual motor, at least.

Back