Navigation software

ralsagoff

Cars
Tesla Model S
Does anyone know if Lucid is going to have Goggle navigation software that is in the Tesla Model S as an alternative option to what they have now? I drove a GT at the Torrance showroom recently and the navigation system is awful.

Does anyone know if Lucid is going to have Goggle navigation software that is in the Tesla Model S as an alternative option to what they have now? I drove a GT at the Torrance showroom recently and the navigation system is awful.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are coming which will give you that option.

I find the Nav system just fine, for the most part, but those are coming. :)

Tesla cars use map data from Google, but the navigation engine is Tesla's own. Elon wrote navigation software in his early days. AAOS cars like Lucid, Polestar, Volvo can choose to use Google's own nav engine if they wish.

I've been using Waze happily for several years now. Will soldier through till Carplay arrives. Luxury Problem!

The built in navigation will get you to your destination. However, it is very poor at picking the fastest route. That may be an Phoenix thing because I think others have had better luck with it finding the fastest route.

The built in navigation will get you to your destination. However, it is very poor at picking the fastest route. That may be an Phoenix thing because I think others have had better luck with it finding the fastest route.

Yeah, out here in the Bay Area it has always matched Google for picking the fastest route for me, based on traffic. 🤷‍♂️

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are coming which will give you that option.

I find the Nav system just fine, for the most part, but those are coming. :)
All I want for Nav is for it to show live local traffic that is easy to read at a glance. Does it? The Tesla's traffic maps are great. My husband's BMW's are almost impossible to decipher. I take 85 to 280 every morning, so knowing if I need to reroute on the way is key. Getting stuck in the 17/85 or 85/280 merges can add 10+ minutes some mornings and my daughter hates getting to school late.

All I want for Nav is for it to show live local traffic that is easy to read at a glance. Does it? The Tesla's traffic maps are great. My husband's BMW's are almost impossible to decipher. I take 85 to 280 every morning, so knowing if I need to reroute on the way is key. Getting stuck in the 17/85 or 85/280 merges can add 10+ minutes some mornings and my daughter hates getting to school late.
The nav shows red/yellow/green like any other mapping platform. Is that what you are referring to?

It definitely works great! Unfortunately coming back from Cambria to Saratoga this last Sunday, it continually showed red stretches and sure enough, it was heavy traffic. You can scroll up and see where it turns back to green and that also works well.

It definitely works great! Unfortunately coming back from Cambria to Saratoga this last Sunday, it continually showed red stretches and sure enough, it was heavy traffic. You can scroll up and see where it turns back to green and that also works well.
Perfect.

Honestly, I only have two complaints with it:

1. Why can’t I make the god damn lady shut the hell up!!?!?!?! I can do this on every other nav I have ever used
2. The bottom screen always defaults to super zoomed out.

Otherwise I think it works quite well, significantly better than my taycan.

Honestly, I only have two complaints with it:

1. Why can’t I make the god damn lady shut the hell up!!?!?!?! I can do this on every other nav I have ever used
2. The bottom screen always defaults to super zoomed out.

Otherwise I think it works quite well, significantly better than my taycan.
Can you at least lower her voice to a whisper. Like you, I always have nav sound off

Can you at least lower her voice to a whisper. Like you, I always have nav sound off
You can lower her voice, but you need to use the system volume and that will also lower the volume of your music.

You can lower her voice, but you need to use the system volume and that will also lower the volume of your music.
Yep, but they should be separately controlled. Perhaps a software solution? A very inconvenient decision to make currently. :-(

While I prefer that the system show the fastest route, I am spatially challenged (e.g., I always get turned around inside the Desert Mountain community) so what is really important to me is that it gets me there.

I have a navigation system question. According to the manual (yeah I’m a nerd, I read it) you can’t search for locations unless the car is parked. So what if you want to add a stop while you’re driving? Is that not possible? Why can’t the passenger type in a new destination or pick a different route while in motion? This will make road tripping very frustrating, as we tend to spontaneously add stops when my wife googles a restaurant or park or whatever. Can you have Alexa add a stop while not ditching your final destination?

I have a navigation system question. According to the manual (yeah I’m a nerd, I read it) you can’t search for locations unless the car is parked. So what if you want to add a stop while you’re driving? Is that not possible? Why can’t the passenger type in a new destination or pick a different route while in motion? This will make road tripping very frustrating, as we tend to spontaneously add stops when my wife googles a restaurant or park or whatever. Can you have Alexa add a stop while not ditching your final destination?
Don't all built in navigation systems require the vehicle to be under a certain speed to operate? I can remember this safety "feature" being on cars for years now.

Don't know about adding a waypoint on Alexa, will have to try it.

MBUX let’s you type in or speak a waypoint while driving, or my wife can do it while I’m driving. If it’s me I just put the car in adaptive cruise/lane keep assist while doing it to make it safer. Or you can say “hey Mercedes navigate to blah blah” and it will ask if you want to start a new route or add it to your current route. I hope Lucid does something similar, I use that feature a LOT.

Currently if you’re already using the car’s navigation and you say “Alexa, take me to a gas station” or whatever, she will ask if you want to cancel and start a new route. Just like Hey Mercedes.

Back