My Lucid Air parties all night with no one it in.

So the faraday pouch helped for my key fobs, but was still waking from my phone. Realistically i drive with a key fob, do you know if just unlinking the key will stop the waking or does bluetooth need to be disabled for the app?
Unlinking the mobile key should stop phone from waking the car

So I was leaving a meeting tonight and happened to have a goodbye conversation with a guy right next to my car, both key and phone in my pocket. The car was going nuts, turning on, flashing lights, folding mirrors, locking doors, lather, rinse, repeat. I felt like an idiot. Is there any way to stop this?
Fifteen months after releasing cars before they were ready …this just should not be happening…and yes I know how bad Tesla was 10 years ago and find it irrelevant.

So I was leaving a meeting tonight and happened to have a goodbye conversation with a guy right next to my car, both key and phone in my pocket. The car was going nuts, turning on, flashing lights, folding mirrors, locking doors, lather, rinse, repeat. I felt like an idiot. Is there any way to stop this?
Unless something is broken, it seems like you were walking in and out of the proximity unlock and lock routine. If you are going to hang near the car without entering have you tried locking the car explicitly?

Unless something is broken, it seems like you were walking in and out of the proximity unlock and lock routine. If you are going to hang near the car without entering have you tried locking the car explicitly?
Also, if you just hit lock it won't activate the proximity for a set amount of time (maybe 10 min?). That's what I do when I need to stay near my car and don't want it spazzing out.

Also, if you just hit lock it won't activate the proximity for a set amount of time (maybe 10 min?). That's what I do when I need to stay near my car and don't want it spazzing out.
This is the way. For the first time the other day, in spite of being a Fob devotee, the mobile key saved me, as I accidentally left the fob in my jacket and had already driven to go get takeout, didn’t realize I didn’t have the fob. The car behaved like normal, the only difference being that when the phone was the mobile key the car auto-opened from much further away.

Unlinking the mobile key should stop phone from waking the car
I didn’t not unlink the mobile key. I still use the mobile key but I turn off Bluetooth in the lucid app and turn it on when I need to use the mobile key. It’s few extra steps but don’t mind since I don’t lose my battery with the car constantly turning on and off

Faraday pouch should come in standard with the keys
Some people who have their devices in close proximity to the car need to consider getting a large Faraday bag for the car, not their phone and fob. I'll search Amazon for Faraday cages. ;)

The tl;dr - My gripe is that this parlor trick of proximity unlocking should have been back-burner'd for a fob solution that works 99.9% of the time or better (that's once a year for someone getting in and out of their car 3-4 times a day), without workarounds. Or it should've been designed from the beginning with standards and designs that are intended for proximity detection, and not tried to shoehorn that ability onto Bluetooth. I just want to get into the car, sometimes with guests, without any drama, and I want to drive this fantastic machine.

<rant>

Needing a Faraday pouch or box, or turning the Bluetooth on and off for the Lucid app, to keep the car's mileage up overnight is a band-aid to a design problem. Having to change the batteries every month or three is a bad design, especially since there are fob solutions that last years between changes. Using the Bluetooth equivalent of RSSI is unlikely to be consistent over all of the use cases a car sees, not to mention 2.4GHz radio congestion, handshake failures, etc. Bluetooth as a standard was never intended for something mission critical like a key. In my case, I've resorted to using both the mobile key and the fob because neither one is fully reliable or consistent in all cases, and I haven't even had to deal with a second profile yet. The fob will let me get in the car and drive off (usually expediently, but not always), but once I'm parked, I get the dreaded "key not detected" error, in spite of brand new batteries. I'll fish it out of my pocket and hold it in the clear air at the center of the car, and it will take 10-15 seconds for it to be recognized. Using the mobile key (iPhone 13 Pro), it's reliable once the vehicle is unlocked, but I consistently have to unlock the phone to unlock the car. This may be an Apple problem, but that makes it a real issue for a big chunk of the customer base. Using the correct key to operate a device should not require thought about whether it's going to work or not. This has been more than a year on now and we're still having this conversation. I don't have faith that a software solution for the current hardware will solve the key problems.

</rant>

Or it should've been designed from the beginning with standards and designs that are intended for proximity detection, and not tried to shoehorn that ability onto Bluetooth.
I get it and agree, but long ago figured out that my BMW key fob and BMW would chat into the wee hours, draining battery for both, so I keep them separated. Simple solution and I moved on.

Ive never linked my phone. Am I missing out on anything by not doing this? I have the app installed though. Or is that the same thing?

I had this happen with my Teslas, they had an option to stay unlocked at home which helped tremendously so the car just stays asleep until a door is opened.

Ive never linked my phone. Am I missing out on anything by not doing this? I have the app installed though. Or is that the same thing?
I believe that linking your phone makes your phone behave like a key fob. When you approach the car, it will unlock and the side mirrors will extend. When you walk away far enough (15 feet or so?), the car will lock. You'll also be able to put your car in gear without entering your security pin. I've only had my car 5 days but I don't use my key fob at all anymore.

I believe that linking your phone makes your phone behave like a key fob. When you approach the car, it will unlock and the side mirrors will extend. When you walk away far enough (15 feet or so?), the car will lock. You'll also be able to put your car in gear without entering your security pin. I've only had my car 5 days but I don't use my key fob at all anymore.
Interesting. Will be problematic for me though because my Air is within 10-15 feet where I mostly walk around in the house but I wonder if the phone will be more or less or equally prone to its signal being stolen like key fobs.

The tl;dr - My gripe is that this parlor trick of proximity unlocking should have been back-burner'd for a fob solution that works 99.9% of the time or better (that's once a year for someone getting in and out of their car 3-4 times a day), without workarounds. Or it should've been designed from the beginning with standards and designs that are intended for proximity detection, and not tried to shoehorn that ability onto Bluetooth. I just want to get into the car, sometimes with guests, without any drama, and I want to drive this fantastic machine.

<rant>

Needing a Faraday pouch or box, or turning the Bluetooth on and off for the Lucid app, to keep the car's mileage up overnight is a band-aid to a design problem. Having to change the batteries every month or three is a bad design, especially since there are fob solutions that last years between changes. Using the Bluetooth equivalent of RSSI is unlikely to be consistent over all of the use cases a car sees, not to mention 2.4GHz radio congestion, handshake failures, etc. Bluetooth as a standard was never intended for something mission critical like a key. In my case, I've resorted to using both the mobile key and the fob because neither one is fully reliable or consistent in all cases, and I haven't even had to deal with a second profile yet. The fob will let me get in the car and drive off (usually expediently, but not always), but once I'm parked, I get the dreaded "key not detected" error, in spite of brand new batteries. I'll fish it out of my pocket and hold it in the clear air at the center of the car, and it will take 10-15 seconds for it to be recognized. Using the mobile key (iPhone 13 Pro), it's reliable once the vehicle is unlocked, but I consistently have to unlock the phone to unlock the car. This may be an Apple problem, but that makes it a real issue for a big chunk of the customer base. Using the correct key to operate a device should not require thought about whether it's going to work or not. This has been more than a year on now and we're still having this conversation. I don't have faith that a software solution for the current hardware will solve the key problems.

</rant>
I’ve had zero problems with either. 90% of the time the mobile key works with no issues, 10% I’ll have to unlock the phone for the car to unlock.

The fob has worked perfectly 100% of the time 🤷‍♂️ but the mobile key is so consistent I haven’t carried the fob in months.

I think the mobile key is great, it's just my WFH office is next to the garage so guarantee battery drain and faraday bagging my phone is not an option. Turning off app bluetooth is a good idea though to preserve key functionality "just in case". I will give that a shot.

Battery drain minimal after the car stopped waking from the keys / phone. It was losing like 7-9 miles a day before, which is like 1kWh a day. Something like 40w draw, pretty expected if you are running a computer all day. Now it's like 1-2 miles a day.

Back