My Faith In Lucid Has Just Been Restored!

These last couple of months I have seen a real and dramatic increase of negativity regarding Lucid crop into this forum. I can certainly understand it, since more and more cars are being delivered resulting in more opportunities for issues with the cars being reported. Coupled with that a near total silence from the management of Lucid responding to these issues and, wrapped over all of that, a growing frustration amongst the forum’s members because we are not seeing any significant increase in the issuance of VINs over the last month or so being added to the forum’s tracker. This negativity started infecting me as I watched, day after day, my confidence in Lucid Motors and its car wane. I am still at a loss as to why Lucid management is not trying to reach out to this group of customers and offer words of comfort and confidence and patience. The information void they have created has resulted in negative rumors and grumblings growing each day.
However, after today, my confidence level has been restored. Today was the day I took my test drive down at the Seattle Lucid Studio. Wow! While I had seen and sat in a Lucid Air GT before, this was the first time I was able to drive it. I am 72 years old, have driven and owned scores of car (some being high end proformance machines) during my tenure on this planet and I can honestly say, this is absolutely the very best driving machine I have ever driven.
In addition, I was pleasantly surprised how functional and responsive the software, (yes, even including the navigation system) was. The car had 19-inch wheels which I have also ordered for my vehicle. With that understanding, the ride was remarkably smooth, even over potholes and rough pavement. The car was also very quiet with just a subtle whir in the background which I soon forgot about. The pedal locations and their responsiveness were just fine. One pedal driving was easy and predicable using the high regen setting. The turn signals and their respective cameras were very responsive and easy to see. I hardly noticed the sun visors and they certainly were not a visual issue. The same can be said for the A beam, which some people have complained about. The Hold symbol was visible whenever it was on and you could feel a very subtle vibration when it snapped on. I mentioned to Avery, the SA with me, about the issue a few forum members reported regarding the Hold being grayed out and the car moving which could cause a collision. He had not heard of that problem before.
The power and torque of the car is something that can not readily be described. You just have to experience it. It is mind-blowing. The car is so quiet and smooth driving that it was hard to keep it down to just 5 mph over the city speed limit. The car just wants to go, go and go some more.
The steering wheel was very adjustable and gripping it was very comfortable. I was able to drive while resting my elbow on the door sill, which is how I like to drive. The number of Dream Dive modes available were very impressive and their adjustment options were great. Quite frankly, during my 25-minute drive, I could not find a single fault with the car. I am in love again despite this forum’s recent turn to the dark side.
Now, I know many of the issues that have been reported here are real and the owners do have cause for their respective concerns and complaints. I am not discounted them at all. Also, I too feel the frustration of having to wait for my car without any updates or explanations as to why the 2-to-5-month timeline may not be met. I am approaching three months now and no VIN (let alone a real car) in sight. I watch Bears Workshop drone flyovers and see firsthand the dramatic increase in cars being produced but not seeing that reflected much in the forum’s tracker (Grrrrrrr).
With all of that said, I will dream tonight of the amazing car I have ordered and each day I will wonder if today is the day I get my VIN…
Very happy to hear that you have a great first driving impression. Most likely you have not driven a Tesla model S or X before. Nonetheless the car is driving very nicely although the whine of the motor is quite audible.
But the software is a near disaster. You will experience yourself once you’ll own the car unless they will upgrade the software in a big way which seems unlikely. The navigation is poor and has some strange issues, which you will experience. Good luck! Too bad the management lets the Owners in limbo allowing negativity to build up

Very happy to hear that you have a great first driving impression. Most likely you have not driven a Tesla model S or X before. Nonetheless the car is driving very nicely although the whine of the motor is quite audible.
But the software is a near disaster. You will experience yourself once you’ll own the car unless they will upgrade the software in a big way which seems unlikely. The navigation is poor and has some strange issues, which you will experience. Good luck! Too bad the management lets the Owners in limbo allowing negativity to build up
I think the UX 2.0 update pretty much solves All the major complaints about the software. It’s a huge leap over the previous version and is already rolling out to owners.

Thanks for your response. Since I wrote that post, I have received my car. Plus, I am one of the 100+ beta testers and the UX 2.0.x is totally awesome. If you have your car you should be receiving the software upgrade shortly. You will not be disappointed. If you have not received your car, it should come with it loaded once you do. I have owned it with both the original software and now this upgrate. The car itself is the best driving high end car I have owned. Now, with the new software, it really is it another level.

Not sure why you chose to respond to an old post with out of date information about the software…recent updates have transformed the car, and been reported on quite thoroughly (& positively).

They really are all over the place. I reserved mine in July, paid the deposit in Mid August, got my VIN in early Sept and took delivery on 09/27. I wish it hadn't gone so quickly in hindsight as it would have given me more time to dig into forums like this and get a more rounded picture of what's actually going on. Mine is now in Va finally! They are starting all the needed repairs and adjustments today and with any luck will be back to my detailer in time next week that they can finish it up for Friday 11/4 pick up. To all the comments about willingness to take the car off your hands mine will be available hopefully next Friday. It will have gone thru 2 PDI's and PPF/ceramic coating is done. I"ve driven the car 500 ft...literally. From the trailer to the detail shop was about 500 ft so the car has the 11 miles on the odo it was delivered with.
As to DJL comments, I too felt the exact same way after my test drive of a GT in Denver in mid July...it's when the reality of maybe a little "cart before the horse" as goes to the very real issue of getting the numerous problems with a brand new freshly minted car addressed. The list is pretty long. Fitment issues, charging issues, communication issues, software issues. All I'd like to do is find one of the rah rah guys that have been commenting to actually put their money where there mouth is and take my brand new AGP off my hands. Unfortunately I don't have the option to cancel my order and all I'd like to do is not take a bath on it. I'm already eating the sales tax and I'll also be happy to pass on the $7500 rebate on the new owner as well.

• Sad
Reactions: DJL

We traded our 2015 Model S P90D for a Model S Plaid in August 2021. We took delivery of our Air Dream Performance in December 2021.

The Lucid bested the Tesla in every respect except software and quickness off the line: build quality, ride compliance, handling, interior room, and structural solidity. (Though a tick slower off the line than the Tesla, the Lucid's front end stays much better planted, actually making its power more usable than the Tesla's in real-world driving.)

We have now had five downloads from the UX 2.0 software update, and I can assure you Lucid has largely closed the software gap with Tesla (the software of which has not been entirely glitch-free). Also, our Lucid has some very useful software-related features that the Tesla lacks: bird's-eye parking view, front camera distance-to-object measurement, dual satellite map displays that allow two different orientations to display simultaneously, Dolby Atmos with a significantly better soundstage, several common functions that are duplicated in buttons or switches that don't require drilling down into submenus to operate.

Even though we've had the Plaid four months longer than the Air, the Air already has a thousand more miles on its odometer . . . for the reasons that it's a more engaging car to drive and a more comfortable car for passengers. In fact, if there will be more than two people in the car, we don't even consider taking the Tesla.

These last couple of months I have seen a real and dramatic increase of negativity regarding Lucid crop into this forum. I can certainly understand it, since more and more cars are being delivered resulting in more opportunities for issues with the cars being reported. Coupled with that a near total silence from the management of Lucid responding to these issues and, wrapped over all of that, a growing frustration amongst the forum’s members because we are not seeing any significant increase in the issuance of VINs over the last month or so being added to the forum’s tracker. This negativity started infecting me as I watched, day after day, my confidence in Lucid Motors and its car wane. I am still at a loss as to why Lucid management is not trying to reach out to this group of customers and offer words of comfort and confidence and patience. The information void they have created has resulted in negative rumors and grumblings growing each day.
However, after today, my confidence level has been restored. Today was the day I took my test drive down at the Seattle Lucid Studio. Wow! While I had seen and sat in a Lucid Air GT before, this was the first time I was able to drive it. I am 72 years old, have driven and owned scores of car (some being high end proformance machines) during my tenure on this planet and I can honestly say, this is absolutely the very best driving machine I have ever driven.
In addition, I was pleasantly surprised how functional and responsive the software, (yes, even including the navigation system) was. The car had 19-inch wheels which I have also ordered for my vehicle. With that understanding, the ride was remarkably smooth, even over potholes and rough pavement. The car was also very quiet with just a subtle whir in the background which I soon forgot about. The pedal locations and their responsiveness were just fine. One pedal driving was easy and predicable using the high regen setting. The turn signals and their respective cameras were very responsive and easy to see. I hardly noticed the sun visors and they certainly were not a visual issue. The same can be said for the A beam, which some people have complained about. The Hold symbol was visible whenever it was on and you could feel a very subtle vibration when it snapped on. I mentioned to Avery, the SA with me, about the issue a few forum members reported regarding the Hold being grayed out and the car moving which could cause a collision. He had not heard of that problem before.
The power and torque of the car is something that can not readily be described. You just have to experience it. It is mind-blowing. The car is so quiet and smooth driving that it was hard to keep it down to just 5 mph over the city speed limit. The car just wants to go, go and go some more.
The steering wheel was very adjustable and gripping it was very comfortable. I was able to drive while resting my elbow on the door sill, which is how I like to drive. The number of Dream Dive modes available were very impressive and their adjustment options were great. Quite frankly, during my 25-minute drive, I could not find a single fault with the car. I am in love again despite this forum’s recent turn to the dark side.
Now, I know many of the issues that have been reported here are real and the owners do have cause for their respective concerns and complaints. I am not discounted them at all. Also, I too feel the frustration of having to wait for my car without any updates or explanations as to why the 2-to-5-month timeline may not be met. I am approaching three months now and no VIN (let alone a real car) in sight. I watch Bears Workshop drone flyovers and see firsthand the dramatic increase in cars being produced but not seeing that reflected much in the forum’s tracker (Grrrrrrr).
With all of that said, I will dream tonight of the amazing car I have ordered and each day I will wonder if today is the day I get my VIN…
While I share your enthusiasm for the brand and its car, I agree that Lucid management should be more responsive. I not only ordered a car, to be delivered soon, but bought stock in the company as well. The technology is chiefly why I bought in. I'm also assuming that having had experience with Tesla's launch of the Model S, the CEO would know how to avoid making Tesla's mistakes. Now I'm not so sure. A friend recently tried to take delivery of his new Air, but had to refuse the car because of scratches and dents. Lucid offered him a second car, but it to had dents. This is very disappointing to say the least. How can the company hope to thrive when it makes these sorts of obvious mistakes? I'm now dreading my own delivery for fear I'll face the same hassle when I had been looking forward to a great delivery experience.

While I share your enthusiasm for the brand and its car, I agree that Lucid management should be more responsive. I not only ordered a car, to be delivered soon, but bought stock in the company as well. The technology is chiefly why I bought in. I'm also assuming that having had experience with Tesla's launch of the Model S, the CEO would know how to avoid making Tesla's mistakes. Now I'm not so sure. A friend recently tried to take delivery of his new Air, but had to refuse the car because of scratches and dents. Lucid offered him a second car, but it to had dents. This is very disappointing to say the least. How can the company hope to thrive when it makes these sorts of obvious mistakes? I'm now dreading my own delivery for fear I'll face the same hassle when I had been looking forward to a great delivery experience.
Do you have any pics of your friend's Air you are willing to share with us?

I too have been watching and waiting and hoping that I would get it before I turned 89. Of course my family thinks I am nuts but I can always leave it to my kids if they decide to take away my keys. Now I will be 90 next year and am having second thoughts about the whole thing but so far I am still on track to be a new Lucid owner😀

That is really odd. I know some people have had trim issues , but actual dents?
I would suspect that to be a transport issue.
Where exactly were the dents located ? Inside or out? Similar place both times?

I own a GT with 21” wheels since April. The car is definitely nice. Mine has very few trim or body problems quite in line with what Tesla has these days. However the car has (still) annoying software issues. Until the recent version (2.X) the software was unacceptable. The v2 improved on many items but it is still a WIP. Some of the user interface (screens) are poorly designed: one example.
In navigation, you get the route on 3 screens. And the turn by turn is on two screen sections next to each other. But if you want to see which music is being played you have to press the music icon on the dashboard which …. Will remove the maps and the route on the screens leaving only the last turn by turn. If you go back to the maps you lose music info. I wonder which use case they had to design this UX ! Awful!
More on the new “highway assistance “ feature which is really primitive and has an inconsistent and rough performance

Back