Motortrend - Debuting Gravity

They need to BEAT tesla since right now most people are apprehensive about lucid because they believe that lucid wont make it.

I'm not sure what you mean about "beating" Tesla. Tesla beats Lucid on price right now, but the industry consensus is that Lucid's powertrain technology, handling, and space utilization beats Tesla's. (And, owning both a Model S Plaid and a Lucid Air Dream P, I can say that Lucid also beats Tesla in features, comfort, structural solidity, and build quality.)

Whether or not Lucid will make it long-term is a different question. If that is a serious worry for a buyer, I doubt that Lucid's product superiority will matter to most.

I'm not sure what you mean about "beating" Tesla. Tesla beats Lucid on price right now, but the industry consensus is that Lucid's powertrain technology, handling, and space utilization beats Tesla's. (And, owning both a Model S Plaid and a Lucid Air Dream P, I can say that Lucid also beats Tesla in features, comfort, structural solidity, and build quality.)

Whether or not Lucid will make it long-term is a different question. If that is a serious worry for a buyer, I doubt that Lucid's product superiority will matter to most.
You point out a key issue for Lucid. The industry consensus is that Lucid……. beats Tesla. But the public perception is that Tesla is so dominant and very few people know Lucid. How can Lucid gain better public perception? How can Lucid alleviate consumers fears that they will not make it? Not bringing out an $80k SUV until sometime in 2025 doesn’t help. I realize they can’t go any faster. 2024 will be a year Lucid needs to stay in the news. I can’t imagine that they will sell, in2024, more than 10,000 Cars. So surviving until 2025 is important. Hopefully their sales don’t drop again in q4. I’m very excited for Gravity and hope it’s just not too late in 2025. As I think u said on an earlier thread 2024 will see just a few expensive Gravity’s delivered.

I’m very excited for Gravity and hope it’s just not too late in 2025.

Same here. The main source of my calmness with this time frame is that much of the competition -- especially the Germans -- still haven't cracked the space or efficiency equations the way Lucid has, and catching up will take some time once (and if) they do.

I swung by a local Mercedes dealer a few weeks ago to look over an EQS SUV I saw sitting outside their showroom. I got even calmer.

I am cross-shopping it with a TX550h+. If it gets over 400mi of range it would be worth it too go electric else it wont.
I sat in the 550h and compared to the Gravity space is sorely lacking for such a large vehicle.

I'm not quite sure how you can cross-shop a vehicle the final specs of which have not even been determined. But with a shorter wheelbase and a V6 engine on top of two electric motors -- and the miracles Lucid seems work with the space concept -- my guess is that the Lexus will not be as roomy as the Lucid.
I saw the Lexus and it’s pathetic. Just get a telluride for cheaper, the tx had worse materials and legroom in all three rows.

I saw the Lexus and it’s pathetic. Just get a telluride for cheaper, the tx had worse materials and legroom in all three rows.
The Lexus has better efficiency and reliability. Your legroom statement is false. Third-row legroom is 31.6 in the Kia vs over 33 in the Lexus. I am fine with either the gravity or the Lexus since both are plenty spacious for us.

The Lexus has better efficiency and reliability. Your legroom statement is false. Third-row legroom is 31.6 in the Kia vs over 33 in the Lexus. I am fine with either the gravity or the Lexus since both are plenty spacious for us.
The Kia has far more second row legroom that can slide forward, giving the third row more space. The Kia is also cheaper, has better exterior design(opinion) and in my opinion uses better interior design/materials.

Not to go off topic though, we can continue in DMS.

Your legroom statement is false. Third-row legroom is 31.6 in the Kia vs over 33 in the Lexus.

There is no standard method for measuring legroom, with each brand choosing its own way. It can even vary within brand and, interestingly, even between different versions of the same model. For instance, when Lucid issued the original specs for rear legroom in the Air, it gave the rear legroom with the smaller battery pack as 1.6" greater than with the larger battery pack (37.4" vs 35.8"). However, the difference in floor height was 3.15" between the two packs and, sitting in both versions, the rear seat with the smaller pack felt much more comfortable than a 1.6" difference would explain. I asked Zak Edson, VP of Sales and Service, about this, and he said that they used a different measurement method for each version.

After years of reading car reviews that extolled or lambasted headroom and legroom in cars, I learned that there is no substitute for checking the vehicle out in person if at all possible. This really hit home after I ordered the "executive rear seating" option in our 2015 Tesla Model S based on car reviews . . . only to find it even more cramped than the bench seat in the same model, which many reviewers had described as roomy, almost approaching vast. Neither roomy nor vast are words I would use in describing any rear seating in a Model S, including in our somewhat improved 2021 Model S Plaid.

We've already seen this with the early Gravity reviews. The "Kelly's Blue Book" reviewer, who is 5'4", got into the third row of the Gravity and pronounced it suitable only for kids on a long haul. A 6'6" "Throttle House" staffer got into the same seat and pronounced it plenty roomy for him, and Lucid even fit a 6'10" fellow into the third row. He didn't exactly look relaxed, but at least he wasn't noticeably contorted.

You point out a key issue for Lucid. The industry consensus is that Lucid……. beats Tesla. But the public perception is that Tesla is so dominant and very few people know Lucid. How can Lucid gain better public perception? How can Lucid alleviate consumers fears that they will not make it? Not bringing out an $80k SUV until sometime in 2025 doesn’t help. I realize they can’t go any faster. 2024 will be a year Lucid needs to stay in the news. I can’t imagine that they will sell, in2024, more than 10,000 Cars. So surviving until 2025 is important. Hopefully their sales don’t drop again in q4. I’m very excited for Gravity and hope it’s just not too late in 2025. As I think u said on an earlier thread 2024 will see just a few expensive Gravity’s delivered.
You seem too negative. Go take a chill pill. Lucid Air is one of the best EV's out there. Even tesla fanboys aknowledge that. Only reason not selling as expected is the interest rates, FUD spead by Tesla fanboys, lack of knowledge about the product and existence of Lucid, macroeconomic conditions and being a Sedan. These will gradually improve. The product speaks for itself. Lucid just needs to chug along and ignore the doubters and haters.

I have owned my Lucid Air for a year now. I usually dont allow food/drink in my car. But today, my daughter was drinking a smoothie. I said, to hell with it, we are taking the Lucid and not my ICE SUV and going to get rid of the rule no drink in the car. That is how bad I wanted to drive it, at the risk of getting a spill in my 100k car.

Its a phenomenal product, Gravity will be a big hit. Do you know number of Lucid Air sold is almost the same as more established Merc/Porsche EV's. Thats shows you the tough climate for all luxury EV's. Not just Lucid. Close your eyes and ears to all the hate and naysayers saying Lucid going bankrupt or not existing soon. Do you really think a company with such engineering expertise and ground breaking products would go bankrupt? Especially with backing from one of the richest countries in the world? A whole oil rich country is backing Lucid.

EV's are the future. Not hybrids and definetly not ICE cars. Once interest rates start coming down, you will see EV sales pick up. Also, battery prices will fall 10% a year going forwards. The big 3 in detroit have stopped investing in EV's- they need to save money to pay unions. Of course they would put out spin that EV's wont have much demand. The big oil companies support that narrative as well. About the 4000 dealers who complained to the Gov about EV push, there are 12000 dealers in USA- only 30% complained. They hate that their service/repair money is going away. So they push for ICE engines.

Just hold tight for the next few years and see Lucid DOMINATE the luxury EV market. That is a given. Peter and his team are geniuses at building EV's.

The Kia has far more second row legroom that can slide forward, giving the third row more space. The Kia is also cheaper, has better exterior design(opinion) and in my opinion uses better interior design/materials.

Not to go off topic though, we can continue in DMS.
Every reviewer has tested and found that the Lexus TX has more space than a Kia Telluride. And my point of reliability goes completely unresponded. The reliability of Kia/Hyundai products are horrible.

Every reviewer has tested and found that the Lexus TX has more space than a Kia Telluride. And my point of reliability goes completely unresponded. The reliability of Kia/Hyundai products are horrible.
DMs

I'm guessing you're spitting personal opinions and anecdotes as facts? I've had 2 Hyundais which have been excellent.
Their 6 cylinder engines are very reliable. 4 cylinder ones have more problems.
But they are holding up to competitors if well taken care of and maintained.

I'm guessing you're spitting personal opinions and anecdotes as facts? I've had 2 Hyundais which have been excellent.
Their 6 cylinder engines are very reliable. 4 cylinder ones have more problems.
But they are holding up to competitors if well taken care of and maintained.
I concur. I've owned 2 Korean 4-cylinder cars, with no issues at all. And I did the oil changes myself.
2010 Kia Forte (totaled at ~40K miles), and 2013 Hyundai Veloster (sold at ~155K miles for $6,000).
Enough about the Koreans; Back to Lucid.

Once upon a time, Kia and Hyundai were well known for having terrible reliability. They did.

They realized this, and made significant efforts to fix this. This is also when they added their insanely good 10 year / 100k mile warranties, because they realized people were uncomfortable.

Since then, those warranties haven’t cost them very much, because they have spent tons of time focusing on reliability.

Now, Kia and Hyundai are among the highest reliability manufacturers out there.

Once upon a time, Kia and Hyundai were well known for having terrible reliability. They did.

They realized this, and made significant efforts to fix this. This is also when they added their insanely good 10 year / 100k mile warranties, because they realized people were uncomfortable.

Since then, those warranties haven’t cost them very much, because they have spent tons of time focusing on reliability.

Now, Kia and Hyundai are among the highest reliability manufacturers out there.

My Kia Sorento 2014 marked the start of this transition with the UVO infotainment system and the lambda v6 has been bulletproof. Our Honda Accord has had considerably more problems and the BZ4X got recalled for the wheels literally just falling off. Aren't toyota and honda supposed to be "more reliable" than a Kia?

Don't judge brands as a whole. Even BMW is one of the most reliable now... look at the present, not the past!

Seriously though to be on topic, this interview was amazing.

And honestly everytime I watch Peter talk or do an interview, my respect for him goes up because he truly loves what he does, has a passion for it and even has the knowledge to keep rambling on and on without it ever getting boring.

But most of all, he's a respectful CEO
1) didn't call out Mercedes when speaking about drag coefficient
2) admitted the Tesla Model 3 is a good car
3) Explained objectively why Franz and him butted heads over design and engineering and didn't make anyone look bad but looks definitely like he's being honest and sincere about his past
4) speaks positively about Elon despite Elon wishing for his failure
5) even admitted NACS is more elegant, he doesn't have a sour taste in his mouth at all, he went with CCS simply because it was the more appropriate tech for the higher voltage architecture of Lucid. But knows reliability is key. And his team had a hand in the NACS port

Back