Motion Sickness + Software

ShadowYU

I am on the fence as to whether to buy a Lucid, for two reasons: motion sickness and reported software problems.

Motion sickness: I rode in the back of a Tesla 3 a few times. That has been my only experience with EVs to date. Each time, I felt some mild motion sickness. I never get motion sick in ICE cars.

Software: I dont care about self-driving, parking assistance, different cameras, ability to use Spotify through car software, etc. I only care that I can see accurate driving speed, that the car turns on and off, that it drives smooth, and that I can listen to music (through bluetooth off the phone is perfect).

Based on the above, should I buy a Lucid? Have you guys experienced motion sickness at all? If my software requirements are kind of "low", should I be worried about all the different comments from users?

Thanks a ton!

I am not sure why you would experience motion sickness in an EV unless someone was showing off the 0-60, which in my DE-P will make me puke!

EV power is very smooth, unlike most ICE cars, so I would think that should keep you from getting sick?

The software should get better by the end of the year or QTR 1 2023.

EV power is very smooth, unlike most ICE cars, so I would think that should keep you from getting sick?
It's not just smooth, it's also incredibly immediate. That combined with regen, can lead to a uncomfortable ride for the passengers if the driver is not very good at driving EVs.

EVs are superior in pretty much every single way from a drivability standpoint but the person in control needs to know how to be smooth when needed.

Motion sickness: I rode in the back of a Tesla 3 a few times.
How often do you ride in the back of non-EV cars? Are you going to be riding in the back of your Lucid Air?

Any driver with a little bit of time can learn to be smooth with the right pedal.

One final thing to add, from what I remember from my test drive, Lucid has calibrated the throttle really well. Most reviewers commented similarly.

It's not just smooth, it's also incredibly immediate. That combined with regen, can lead to a uncomfortable ride for the passengers if the driver is not very good at driving EVs.

EVs are superior in pretty much every single way from a drivability standpoint but the person in control needs to know how to be smooth when needed.

How often do you ride in the back of non-EV cars? Are you going to be riding in the back of your Lucid Air?

Any driver with a little bit of time can learn to be smooth with the right pedal.

One final thing to add, from what I remember from my test drive, Lucid has calibrated the throttle really well. Most reviewers commented similarly.
I could not have put it better. If you have the car in sprint mode it can made to feel like a rollercoaster if your accelerator inputs are not smooth. In smooth mode not only is the accelerator damped but the suspension is as well making an extremely comfortable ride

I am on the fence as to whether to buy a Lucid, for two reasons: motion sickness and reported software problems.

Motion sickness: I rode in the back of a Tesla 3 a few times. That has been my only experience with EVs to date. Each time, I felt some mild motion sickness. I never get motion sick in ICE cars.

Software: I dont care about self-driving, parking assistance, different cameras, ability to use Spotify through car software, etc. I only care that I can see accurate driving speed, that the car turns on and off, that it drives smooth, and that I can listen to music (through bluetooth off the phone is perfect).

Based on the above, should I buy a Lucid? Have you guys experienced motion sickness at all? If my software requirements are kind of "low", should I be worried about all the different comments from users?

Thanks a ton!
My wife is more prone to motion sickness than anyone I’ve ever met. When we flew to Japan she was sick for two entire days after just from motion sickness, and in my Mercedes if she looked at her phone for 30 seconds she’d be nauseated for hours. When I got the lucid however, I practiced with the strong regen for a day so I could get used to doing it perfectly before I drove her in the car, then we went on a road trip and she was in the back seat with the baby on not just highways but also back roads and didn’t get even slightly nauseated. Also I don’t want my 16 month old puking in my car! She’s puked in my wife’s car 3 times now and once in the Mercedes but never in the Lucid, so there’s your answer!

Thanks a ton!
My guess is that the motion sickness is a result of two things: instant torque in the Tesla (and in the Lucid as well) and lack of sound. The other day I was in a golf cart (as a passenger) and closed my eyes as we drove away from one green toward the next tee box and it was disconcerting to say the least. We are used to certain views and sounds and removing one will change our perceptions. But I think that will pass fairly quickly as one gets accustomed to driving or being driven in a BEV.

Two more data points: My Model 3 performance often makes my passenger wife motion sick, and she has a strong stomach. Same driver - me - in our Volvo EV, and no motion sickness at all. Both have strong regeneration, but the Volvo has a gradual, slightly lagging initial throttle response, between that of the Tesla and an ICE car. I'm very careful with power application both on and off the power pedal in the Tesla when passengers are in the car. Less care is needed in the Volvo though it can do 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds. Lucid's operation in smooth mode is very, very similar to our Volvo. I expect no complaints.

My wife is more prone to motion sickness than anyone I’ve ever met. When we flew to Japan she was sick for two entire days after just from motion sickness, and in my Mercedes if she looked at her phone for 30 seconds she’d be nauseated for hours. When I got the lucid however, I practiced with the strong regen for a day so I could get used to doing it perfectly before I drove her in the car, then we went on a road trip and she was in the back seat with the baby on not just highways but also back roads and didn’t get even slightly nauseated. Also I don’t want my 16 month old puking in my car! She’s puked in my wife’s car 3 times now and once in the Mercedes but never in the Lucid, so there’s your answer!
This is actually very convincing!

To the OP's other question, if you have modest software expectations/demands, then I believe that you will be very pleased with the Lucid. However, if you have a chance to test drive one, you should really experience first hand the "turn on and off" functionality. Prior to starting your test drive, ask that the car be left in a state of deep sleep. That way you'll get a sense of how long the boot time is to make sure you're comfortable with that, or at least know what to expect (allegedly the dozens of industry reviews last week claim that these prolonged boot times are being improved in a "coming-soon" OTA, but who knows). After your test drive, try walking away from the vehicle and note how far you have to walk before it "turns off". And then maybe wait around for a few minutes and then try to approach the vehicle and "turn it back on".

The glass roof/extended windshield contributes to the motion sickness. My brother gets motion sick very easily and riding in my Model X is always difficult for him.

In comparison, I got motion sickness when riding someone else’s Model 3 performance and that driver decided to show off its power without giving me advance warning. Lucid Air is such smooth car, its suspension is vastly superior. My wife get nauseated easily bc her chronic migraine. I personally like Swift mode, but when she is riding with me, I will do Smooth mode. We both get motion sickness from our Jeep Wrangler when either one of us is driver while the other is in the backseat.

WOW, so many very useful and detailed observations. This community feels so good, I may by Lucid just to keep talking to you guys.

Back