Miles remaining on dash

jpcornett

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I read the article as well, but still don't understand that Peter can preach 500+ miles while even when I charge my GT to 453 miles (most I can get with prewarming) all I can get on road just like the article said is 60-65% of that. I smell a class action here.........

I read the article as well, but still don't understand that Peter can preach 500+ miles while even when I charge my GT to 453 miles (most I can get with prewarming) all I can get on road just like the article said is 60-65% of that. I smell a class action here.........
You'll be lawyering up against the EPA, not Lucid. In good weather, at steady freeway speeds, both Tesla and Lucid's cars will achieve about 75% of their EPA rated range. Both follow EPA rules for calculating range using the 5-cycle protocol. Most other EV makers use the 2-cycle protocol which gives results somewhat closer to actual freeway range.

EPA testing is done at a low average speed and in the equivalent of good weather. Range drops significantly with speed and in inclement weather.

Regardless, your GT has the highest real-world range of any current production EV.

65% of 453 is 294. The attached picture shows my car achieving much more than that with an average speed of 70 mph. If I drove the EPA average of about 50mph, I no doubt would’ve achieved the full EPA range. Much info about this can be found at www.lucidupdates.com.
View attachment IMG_6079.jpeg

65% of 453 is 294. The attached picture shows my car achieving much more than that with an average speed of 70 mph. If I drove the EPA average of about 50mph, I no doubt would’ve achieved the full EPA range. Much info about this can be found at www.lucidupdates.com.
View attachment 17428
Thanks, for the note, I understand, when planning longer trips, and planning charging stops, this becomes the issue. 331, and you are down to 8% which is getting sketchy, puts you at 73%, still a long way from 500 they boast and publish on a regular basis.

They're stating EPA range as does every automaker. EPA range measurement is not the same as a practical freeway range.

You'll be lawyering up against the EPA, not Lucid. In good weather, at steady freeway speeds, both Tesla and Lucid's cars will achieve about 75% of their EPA rated range. Both follow EPA rules for calculating range using the 5-cycle protocol. Most other EV makers use the 2-cycle protocol which gives results somewhat closer to actual freeway range.

EPA testing is done at a low average speed and in the equivalent of good weather. Range drops significantly with speed and in inclement weather.

Regardless, your GT has the highest real-world range of any current production EV.
I love the car, just living in the rural part of country, I learn to plan and adapt accordingly. Only problem I every had was an Electrify America in eastern PA Sheetz, was closed for remodeling and their website at EE had it as active, had to tow............wife not happy. We move on

I love the car, just living in the rural part of country, I learn to plan and adapt accordingly. Only problem I every had was an Electrify America in eastern PA Sheetz, was closed for remodeling and their website at EE had it as active, had to tow............wife not happy. We move on
Rural areas are very rough in terms of charging networks, hope one of the upcoming networks expands to your area! I do have to ask though, what speed are you going at? 65-70 mph yields about 400 miles on a GT, which is why I am shocked about your low range! Obviously you don't want to get close to the limits of the car, but even then about 350 should be possible..

In addition, what did you mean by 453 miles? Genuinely curious, do you have 21/20 inch rims(as no GT has 453 miles of range)?

I think EPA testing would be more useful if it resulted in two "range" figures: one for city driving at a simulated 35mph stop and go, and another at s constant 70mph freeway speed.

Rural areas are very rough in terms of charging networks, hope one of the upcoming networks expands to your area! I do have to ask though, what speed are you going at? 65-70 mph yields about 400 miles on a GT, which is why I am shocked about your low range! Obviously you don't want to get close to the limits of the car, but even then about 350 should be possible..

In addition, what did you mean by 453 miles? Genuinely curious, do you have 21/20 inch rims(as no GT has 453 miles of range)?
yes I have 21's and I can charge up to 453 miles on the dash. I'm driving speed limit +/- 5 mph on highways/interstates WV to MD and back over the holiday. I always try to go about 300 or so and charge, leaving about 120 remaining for unexpected. Been thinking about going with 19s, but I generally don't go outside of the mid Atlantic region driving. WV, NC, SC, MD, PA, VA

Typo, we generally went 200-230 miles to a full recharge place (EE/Sheetz) and then on from there, trying not to go below 100 remaining miles.

They're stating EPA range as does every automaker. EPA range measurement is not the same as a practical freeway range.
I think the problem is that the EPA allows multiple methods of testing. The 5-cycle test that Lucid and Tesla use are the most optimistic. So you can't compare EVs by the EPA number and that makes it frustrating to compare. For example, i'm pretty sure a Taycan with the smallest aero wheels will do better at 70mph than an Air Touring. Even though by EPA, the Touring should have double the range.

yes I have 21's and I can charge up to 453 miles on the dash. I'm driving speed limit +/- 5 mph on highways/interstates WV to MD and back over the holiday. I always try to go about 300 or so and charge, leaving about 120 remaining for unexpected. Been thinking about going with 19s, but I generally don't go outside of the mid Atlantic region driving. WV, NC, SC, MD, PA, VA
Well, I'll first note that driving summer tires(21) is dangerous in the winter, I would recommend you swap them out and take the chance to get 19s!

Also, is 120 miles necessary? That means your real range would be 420, which indeed is normal! Unless you live in a ridiculously rural area(example: chargers 100 miles away), I don't believe that is necessary! Maybe 50 at most?

I don't understand the winter / summer thing. That is news to me. Can you explain?

I think the problem is that the EPA allows multiple methods of testing. The 5-cycle test that Lucid and Tesla use are the most optimistic. So you can't compare EVs by the EPA number and that makes it frustrating to compare. For example, i'm pretty sure a Taycan with the smallest aero wheels will do better at 70mph than an Air Touring. Even though by EPA, the Touring should have double the range.
I hightly doubt that. Unless you mean a Touring on the 21s.

But your point is correct. One standard testing method would at least clear this up when comparing one car to another. These things evolve. Maybe eventually they will settle on one standard?

I think the 5-cycle test is actually the original test. the 3-cycle was a compromise when automakers (who had little incentive to sell EVs) complained the 5-cycle was too expensive.

I don't understand the winter / summer thing. That is news to me. Can you explain?
Temerature effects range. The battery is going to be most efficient at a specific temperature. The colder it gets, the more energy you lose warming up the battery.

Well, summer tires like those on the 21s are optimized for warmer weathers. In lower temperatures, they develop small microcracks and are very vulnerable to damage which can cause a serious accident. In comparison, the 19s are all season and will perform fine in all weather.

What is the temperature in your area? Also mods, can we have a forum PSA on this?

Temerature effects range. The battery is going to be most efficient at a specific temperature. The colder it gets, the more energy you lose warming up the battery.
I think he meant regarding the tires, but this is also correct. Elevation and speed are very big factors, however.

I think he meant regarding the tires, but this is also correct. Elevation and speed are very big factors, however.
Ahh. Yes. They're called summer tires for a reason. Should never drive summer tires at temperatures below 40 degrees, or whatever the tire was rated for. Not only will they underperform, they could be permanently damaged.

I hightly doubt that. Unless you mean a Touring on the 21s.

But your point is correct. One standard testing method would at least clear this up when comparing one car to another. These things evolve. Maybe eventually they will settle on one standard?

I think the 5-cycle test is actually the original test. the 3-cycle was a compromise when automakers (who had little incentive to sell EVs) complained the 5-cycle was too expensive.
Inside EV tested a 2023 Taycan with the 19s (improved rear-disconnect software) at 305 miles at 70mph (they also claimed the conditions were poor and could've gone further)
2023 Porsche Taycan RWD: InsideEVs 70 MPH Range Test
Edmunds tested a 4S with 19s and got 323 miles at 70mph
Longest-Range Electric Cars | Edmunds

I have yet to see any range test of the touring getting more than 300 miles. Only one is MT which says 279. And they only put the GT at 330. Either way they are super close and you can argue they are probably both around 300 in the real world.

Point still being there is sooo much variation in the EPA test that even two cars with one an EPA rated of 200 and one at EPA range of 400 more or less get the same real-world range.

Well, summer tires like those on the 21s are optimized for warmer weathers. In lower temperatures, they develop small microcracks and are very vulnerable to damage which can cause a serious accident. In comparison, the 19s are all season and will perform fine in all weather.

What is the temperature in your area? Also mods, can we have a forum PSA on this?
We do...here

Back