Mileage on first road trip

Cars
2022 Lucid Air Dream
Just returned from a 600-mile road trip. Average mileage was approx 3.2 miles/KwH. First EA charging station I pulled up to in Yakima, WA was not communicating with the Lucid. I called the number on the charging station, and someone came right on the phone. She couldn’t get it to work either, so she told me to move to the charging station next to it, and it communicated just fine. It was a 350 KwH charger, and I got around 250 miles in 25 minutes. I was very impressed.

However, when I shoved off in the morning, it said I had 156 miles remaining, which was sufficient for a 108 mile trip to the EA charging station. When I arrived, I had just 5 miles remaining, and I was careful not to gun it the entire trip. So, instead of 156 miles remaining, I apparently had only 113 miles remaining. Therefore, on my next road trip, I am going to multiple miles remaining by 0.7, as I never want to run out of power. Yikes!

What configuration do you have? Sounds like a Dream P with 21" tires...

That is disappointing. At 3.2 miles /kw, it is not that much better than my Nissan Leaf - which isn’t at all confused with cutting edge technology. That means that the advertised 500 mile range might in reality only be 350. If that is the case, I may not want the car. Does anyone else have real life numbers on range?

I mean, the Dream P with 21" is advertised as 451 mile range. The problem is that the pack thinks it can do 520, except it drops off quick. Though 3.2 on the highway seems low? I've been averaging 3.1 and I do about 50% highway and 50% city streets...

Just returned from a 600-mile road trip. Average mileage was approx 3.2 miles/KwH. First EA charging station I pulled up to in Yakima, WA was not communicating with the Lucid. I called the number on the charging station, and someone came right on the phone. She couldn’t get it to work either, so she told me to move to the charging station next to it, and it communicated just fine. It was a 350 KwH charger, and I got around 250 miles in 25 minutes. I was very impressed.

However, when I shoved off in the morning, it said I had 156 miles remaining, which was sufficient for a 108 mile trip to the EA charging station. When I arrived, I had just 5 miles remaining, and I was careful not to gun it the entire trip. So, instead of 156 miles remaining, I apparently had only 113 miles remaining. Therefore, on my next road trip, I am going to multiple miles remaining by 0.7, as I never want to run out of power. Yikes!

19” wheels

That’s really disappointing. My electron guzzling e-Tron has a lifetime cumulative figure of 2.8 miles/KwH. I would have expected far better. I can’t see how you’d get anything close to the rated range with that consumption.

Hydbob’s numbers don’t seem to be significantly different either. Actually a mix of highway and local driving should typically yield a higher number than straight highway driving. Yet hydbob’s numbers aren’t really showing that.

Last edited:
Were you driving over the Cascades mountains or was this mostly the same altitude?

This is a bit alarming. Our plan is to cross the deserts in Nevada and Arizona in June. 371 miles without a DC fast charge location anywhere in-between. Looks like I will be renting the satellite phone. Grand Canyon Railway to Moab looks pretty level. I wonder how much cooling will consume of the battery. Will be stopping in Flagstaff for a full DC fast charge and then the 371 leg.

This doesn't make things any easier for me also having a deposit down on a BMW I4. The Lucid's clear advantage for me was the increased range over the I4. However with the Pure starting out at a claimed range of about 400 miles and seeing what's happening to the Dream, with a claimed range of 500+ miles, I now begin to wonder how much of a real range advantage the Pure will have over the I4. Couple that with the fact that the Germans are often conservative in their ratings claims, I now really have to scratch my head.

I eluded to this in another thread. Smooth to me isn't a mode specifically to maximize range like "Eco" on some other vehicles. On my wife's Lexus Eco mode drives me nuts since the car just won't go! Smooth implies a "comfort setting not a range setting. I could be wrong, I cannot find an official explanation.

Car and Driver said this: "We tried out all three driving modes: Smooth, Swift, and Sprint. Each offers differing levels of motor response, damper calibration, steering effort, and regenerative braking." Which says nothing about increasing range or hypermiling.

This doesn't make things any easier for me also having a deposit down on a BMW I4. The Lucid's clear advantage for me was the increased range over the I4. However with the Pure starting out at a claimed range of about 400 miles and seeing what's happening to the Dream, with a claimed range of 500+ miles, I now begin to wonder how much of a real range advantage the Pure will have over the I4. Couple that with the fact that the Germans are often conservative in their ratings claims, I now really have to scratch my head.
It could be something I’m doing, that I need to correct. Lucid’s service people are amazingly responsive. I do love driving this car.

From my experience driving, between smooth and swift there is only available power once your moving but it doesn't make a difference. Smooth will just limit how quickly you accelerate. No eco mode unfortunately. But I'd like to know Michael's route during his trip. Given Motortrends LA to SF trip in one drive, it was as much as a concern for mileage.

Do you have a dream performance or dream range?

Therefore, on my next road trip, I am going to multiple miles remaining by 0.7, as I never want to run out of power. Yikes!

That's exactly the number at which we arrived after doing to real-world range testing in our Tesla Model S Plaid.

As I've posted elsewhere, until experience proves me wrong, here's the way we will be calculating mileage for road trips in our Dream P with 21" wheels:

Charge up to 90% / deplete to 20% = 70% of rated range = 315 miles, then

315 miles x 80% (to account for real-world driving at average interstate speeds of 78 mph) = 252 miles

That's well over 3 hours of driving, which is considerably further than my diet-soda swizzling bladder can make it without a stop, anyway.

Although we use a 0.7 multiplier in the Tesla, since the EPA ratings on the Air show more highway efficiency than city efficiency, I figured we can assume a 0.8 multiplier in the Air.

I was on the fence about charging the Air up to only 90% for road trips, but since information has subsequently emerged that Lucid does not have any buffers in the battery pack, I'm sticking with my original plan and will never charge the pack up to 100%.

From my experience driving, between smooth and swift there is only available power once your moving but it doesn't make a difference. Smooth will just limit how quickly you accelerate. No eco mode unfortunately. But I'd like to know Michael's route during his trip. Given Motortrends LA to SF trip in one drive, it was as much as a concern for mileage.

Back