Maybe we'll see some changes at EA?

Just saw this article - perhaps it's been posted already but couldn't find it.

Electrify America’s CEO-elect tested its EV chargers on a cross-country road trip – here’s how it went​

The article doesn't say much about his experience, just that some of the trip was good and some was bad.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/02/electrify-america-road-trip/
I am getting ready to do my first road trip in my AGT. Does anyone have a good gauge on the time needed to add 150 to 200 miles with a 150 or 350KW charger? I have used Plug Share to route me and am planning on stopping about every 3 hours. I will start with a full charge about 515 miles.

Thanks

I am getting ready to do my first road trip in my AGT. Does anyone have a good gauge on the time needed to add 150 to 200 miles with a 150 or 350KW charger? I have used Plug Share to route me and am planning on stopping about every 3 hours. I will start with a full charge about 515 miles.

Thanks
I'd be really surprised if anyone gives you a specific answer because in my experience it's all over the board. I can tell you that you *should* be able to get 200 miles worth of charge in 20 minutes of less on either a 150 or 350 IF everything is working properly and your car is at a low enough state of charge to accept the higher speeds from the charging station. You'll probably also want to precondition. Having said that, you could also see ridiculously slow speeds and it could take well over an hour. Sadly, it's kind of a crap shoot. 🤷‍♂️

I'd be really surprised if anyone gives you a specific answer because in my experience it's all over the board. I can tell you that you *should* be able to get 200 miles worth of charge in 20 minutes of less on either a 150 or 350 IF everything is working properly and your car is at a low enough state of charge to accept the higher speeds from the charging station. You'll probably also want to precondition. Having said that, you could also see ridiculously slow speeds and it could take well over an hour. Sadly, it's kind of a crap shoot. 🤷‍♂️
I'd second that opinion. It's a total crapshoot. Two additional wildcards are "How many chargers will be working when you get there? Will anyone be ahead of you waiting for the remaining working charger(s) ??? ""
Give yourself extra time &, as someone said on one of these threads, give yourself a fudge factor when planning on where you're going to charge. You may have to go somewhere else & find other chargers..
Good luck.

Were you at the one on the far right? I didn't make note of the numbers on those stations but I'm guessing that would be 6. I tried it Saturday and got a very slow rate of like 64. And the woman who tried it after me said it was slow too. But I got 150+ on a different one there. Yesterday morning, when I was there alone it was very slow but that's because I was topping off before heading back to Buffalo. So, I fully expected it to be slow and that was understandable.
It is always a good idea to try another Station if one is slower than expected.

So maybe stopping more frequently than absolutely required is standard when you don't know if your next charge stop is guaranteed to be available
Not only that but I believe "hyper-milers" subscribe to the theory that lots of short charge stops are better than fewer long ones. But, his motive was probably to test as many chargers as he could.

Interesting you should mention those numbers. Just last night, without bothering to precondition ( I never precondition, because I just don’t DC fast charge all that often), I got pretty much those numbers - 200 miles in 19 minutes, starting at 22%.

This was in a loaner GT that our local service centre gave me.

Attachments

• IMG_6831.jpeg
    IMG_6831.jpeg
    940.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6830.jpeg
    IMG_6830.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
Back