Maybe we'll see some changes at EA?

skywaterbanjo

Verified Owner
Just saw this article - perhaps it's been posted already but couldn't find it.

Electrify America’s CEO-elect tested its EV chargers on a cross-country road trip – here’s how it went​

The article doesn't say much about his experience, just that some of the trip was good and some was bad.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/02/electrify-america-road-trip/

Interesting that he went to downtown Chicago instead of just bypassing the city via I-80, nonetheless it was a forthright video.

Interesting that they promoted their top technology guy to CEO. The guy who ran the technology unit in a company that is floundering on that front seems an odd choice for CEO if the aim is to address their technology failures.

This would only make sense if his predecessor was holding back the technology unit for bean-counting or other reasons . . . which might have been the case.

Here’s the YouTube video of the CEO’s trip.

I can't trust an EV charging CEO when he pronounces Illinois with an "s".

Also, there is no Rivian RTS. 😂

Side note: Please expand in Minnesota to make my 3 years of free charging actually useful.

I can't trust an EV charging CEO when he pronounces Illinois with an "s".

Also, there is no Rivian RTS. 😂

Side note: Please expand in Minnesota to make my 3 years of free charging actually useful.
Seeing a few EA chargers in Delaware would be nice too.
Maybe even one ??????????????????????????????????????????????/

Seeing a few EA chargers in Delaware would be nice too.
Maybe even one ??????????????????????????????????????????????/
You want one, you got one! :p

WAWA Store 840 - New Castle, DEstation details​

4000 N. DuPont Hwy, New Castle, Delaware 19720

Trying not to read too much into these numbers. But, 2700 miles and 30 stations is less than 100 miles between charges. Seems odd, right? Why would he have visited so many stations? Conspiracy theories welcome...

Trying not to read too much into these numbers. But, 2700 miles and 30 stations is less than 100 miles between charges. Seems odd, right? Why would he have visited so many stations? Conspiracy theories welcome...
The ioniq 5 is not made for highways. If your lucky you ca get 200 miles between charges. Add into that elevation changes, wind, etc. Didn't look like he charged overnight at any stops either.

I understand. I wouldn't have commented on it except he made a point of saying that EV's today are more than capable of going over 200 miles. Just seemed odd to me. Now I haven't tried a cross country trip. So maybe stopping more frequently than absolutely required is standard when you don't know if your next charge stop is guaranteed to be available. That's also plausible in my mind

I understand. I wouldn't have commented on it except he made a point of saying that EV's today are more than capable of going over 200 miles. Just seemed odd to me. Now I haven't tried a cross country trip. So maybe stopping more frequently than absolutely required is standard when you don't know if your next charge stop is guaranteed to be available. That's also plausible in my mind
I thought the same thing. That must have added 30% on to the trip time.

At one point early on, Electrify America said its eventual goal was to have no point in the U.S. more than 170 miles from an EA charger. I wonder how that's going . . . and whether they include the chargers that routinely present issues.

I was at my local EA today. Plugged into 350 Hyper=Fast charger....got 12.72 kWh in 25 minutes. This was 29kW charging speed....AWFUL!

I called them to alert them to this problem.

How would they NOT have these stats. At a minimum, they have your car type, the amount of time you were plugged in, and the number of kWh transmitted. If that average goes down to a stupid number, they HAVE to know the thing is broken. There's no way they don't know.

You want one, you got one! :p

WAWA Store 840 - New Castle, DEstation details​

4000 N. DuPont Hwy, New Castle, Delaware 19720
Thanks for the heads up. It's a bit of a stretch for me (I'm in Milton) but it's good to know about this site as I travel north.

I was at my local EA today. Plugged into 350 Hyper=Fast charger....got 12.72 kWh in 25 minutes. This was 29kW charging speed....AWFUL!

I called them to alert them to this problem.
This can happen if you charge from 50% to 80% without pre conditioning. Next time try 15% to 65% with Pre con at the same location. You may get close to 40kWhr in 20min. You are welcome to bookmark this data I am collecting for use as a guidance.

How would they NOT have these stats. At a minimum, they have your car type, the amount of time you were plugged in, and the number of kWh transmitted. If that average goes down to a stupid number, they HAVE to know the thing is broken. There's no way they don't know.
They know. I met the exec responsible for it. The problem is mostly EA and they are working with EA. Also, Lucid is likely to adjust their charging curves. Let us be optimistic,

This can happen if you charge from 50% to 80% without pre conditioning. Next time try 15% to 65% with Pre con at the same location. You may get close to 40kWhr in 20min. You are welcome to bookmark this data I am collecting for use as a guidance.
I was at 19% when started to charge.

I was at 19% when started to charge.
Were you at the one on the far right? I didn't make note of the numbers on those stations but I'm guessing that would be 6. I tried it Saturday and got a very slow rate of like 64. And the woman who tried it after me said it was slow too. But I got 150+ on a different one there. Yesterday morning, when I was there alone it was very slow but that's because I was topping off before heading back to Buffalo. So, I fully expected it to be slow and that was understandable.

Back