Maximum charge rate from 350kW station

MoniputerLM

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cars
Dream Edition Performance
DE Number
What is the maximum charge rate that you have seen?

InsideEV’s showed 301/302 but only lasted a few minutes before tapering down. Highest I’ve gotten is 275 which is still good.

Something to keep in mind particularly with EA is that they’ve been cutting the power delivery down to the chargers so whilst it may say 350Kw it may actually not have enough amps to deliver anywhere near that speed. It’s sounds like 350Kw chargers are DOA, they cost double the amount of a 150Kw and need a significant amount of power to run. When charging companies are needing to expand the network rapidly with charger numbers the 350’s just aren’t cost effective.

The 350 doesn’t give Lucid a significant advantage anyway. I think the full 0 to 100 charge on a 350 vs a 150 only showed a 7 min difference which makes it hardly worth it. Marketing hype / bragging rights basically

Just posted on another thread, I’ve gotten 310 from one for all of 3 min or so before the rapid descent.
Yeah…… give me 300+ for 10+ mins then brag about how fast our cars charge but for a few mins only it just seems to me Lucid wanted the bragging rights of highest epa / fastest charging marketing.

Yeah…… give me 300+ for 10+ mins then brag about how fast our cars charge but for a few mins only it just seems to me Lucid wanted the bragging rights of highest epa / fastest charging marketing.
I agree! I grab it because it can deliver over 200 kW for a while and the 150 kW stations can deliver “only” 175 kW. I’m definitely not upset at the charging speed on the 150 kW. 45 min today to go from ~14% to 90% with a max charge speed of 207 kW.

I agree! I grab it because it can deliver over 200 kW for a while and the 150 kW stations can deliver “only” 175 kW. I’m definitely not upset at the charging speed on the 150 kW. 45 min today to go from ~14% to 90% with a max charge speed of 207 kW.
Maybe 200\250Kw chargers are the sweet spot. If that becomes the norm it would be nice to see Lucid adjust its charging curve to charge at faster speeds for longer.

Something to keep in mind particularly with EA is that they’ve been cutting the power delivery down to the chargers so whilst it may say 350Kw it may actually not have enough amps to deliver anywhere near that speed...
Is there some place I can read about this? I believe I saw that EA does not intentionally power limit. Their newer high-power installations include local batteries to reduce demand charges.

My max has been 307 kWh. I’ve never been able to get greater than 180 kWh on a 150 charger.

In my experience, a good 350 charger can stay above 180 kWh for quite a long time (maybe 10 min or so) if the starting SOC is around 10-15%. So that makes it potentially worthwhile on road trips where you want to dart in and out of a charging station as quickly as you can achieve sufficient range to get to the next station.

I haven’t seen a working EA 350 charger in Texas. I think they are just statues of unicorn.

Only been once on a 150 kW but only got 96 (Battery was preconditioned before arriving). Of course, not surprising since I was at almost 70% When starting. Was just checking to make sure EA worked ok.

5,000 miles in and have not seen anything in the 300s off a 350kW. Even at very low SoC starts with preconditiong. My wife and I don’t even try them anymore with 150s getting near 180 pretty even.

Of note… a Rivian charged ahead of me today and he said he was right around 240-250 off the 350 (only one left available). We plugged in and capped at 200 for a few mins and dropped to 120s with a 35-45% SoC start. No idea how loads work at the stations with more cars plugged in so not sure if that played a role. But it made us wonder.

5,000 miles in and have not seen anything in the 300s off a 350kW. Even at very low SoC starts with preconditiong. My wife and I don’t even try them anymore with 150s getting near 180 pretty even.

Of note… a Rivian charged ahead of me today and he said he was right around 240-250 off the 350 (only one left available). We plugged in and capped at 200 for a few mins and dropped to 120s with a 35-45% SoC start. No idea how loads work at the stations with more cars plugged in so not sure if that played a role. But it made us wonder.
120’s at 35-45% SOC on a 350 charger seems low. Maybe it is the sharing, since the Revian managed to get up to 250 🤔

I haven’t used a ton of 350’s, maybe just 4-5 times. My experiences have been variable. One was broken and wouldn’t charge. Two gave me 260-310 for maybe 5 min and then decline to about 150 over the next 10 min. But the highest charge rates were giving me 20 miles per minute so even 5 minutes added 100 miles. And the fourth one I remember using topped out around 150 and declined to 120s pretty rapidly from there.

So basically, a good 350 is great but it’s hit or miss.

20220710_223738.webp

Except my experience with 150’s suggests that they’re not all going to perform so perfectly even between 0-40% SOC. The range seems like somewhere between 100-180 🤔

I just charged at an EA site that had two 350’s. Base state of charge was 36%. Plugged into the first 350 and got 89 kWh. So I unplugged and tried the other one and got 190 kWh. Huge variation between two charging towers that are right beside each other.

EA has stated that their towers do not share power. If one tower is furnishing less power than another, one of them has a problem. It's quite common on EA charging stations. I have the feeling that when Tesla opens its superchargers to CCS, most people will prefer to try their luck there, unless it's overpriced or too crowded. There will be big growing pains over the next few years.

True, I think that was under "ideal" charging conditions. We already know EA charging stations have different hardware, I think they are on 4 different suppliers now with 4 different designs...

Has anyone had the issue of plugging in to EA charger (150kw) while partially pre-conditioned, and have the car say it's "waiting" and actually never start the charge????

Has anyone had the issue of plugging in to EA charger (150kw) while partially pre-conditioned, and have the car say it's "waiting" and actually never start the charge????
Yes that happened to me once. I also had a charging session stop inexplicably 20 minutes in and I had to go out, unplug then plug the car back in

Back