Managing both Tesla and Lucid charging at home.

Todd

Verified Owner
Cars
23 Air Touring
We have a Tesla and a Lucid in the garage, and both are connected to the NEMA 14-50 with a splitter. Of course, we can only charge one car at a time, but it’s working well for us.
IMG_1579.jpeg

We have a Tesla and a Lucid in the garage, and both are connected to the NEMA 14-50 with a splitter. Of course, we can only charge one car at a time, but it’s working well for us.View attachment 14519
Why is this better than just moving the “car” end of the cable?

I’m under the impression that repeated plugging/unplugging of the NEMA 14-50 cables is not a best practice. With the splitter, I never have to mess with the plugs.

Couldn’t you just use the CCS to NACS adapter when you were charging Tesla?

Rather than change the adapter every time that I need to switch cars, either car can quickly be connected thanks to the splitter. For me, this is simpler and more efficient.

I’m under the impression that repeated plugging/unplugging of the NEMA 14-50 cables is not a best practice. With the splitter, I never have to mess with the plugs.
I’m not talking about plugging/unplugging it from the receptacle. You would just leave it plugged in and reuse the same cable by moving the J1772 end from one car to the other. The cables are not bound to the manufacturer of the vehicle in any way.

Rather than change the adapter every time that I need to switch cars, either car can quickly be connected thanks to the splitter. For me, this is simpler and more efficient.
Ohhhhhhhh I missed that one of them was a Tesla!!! Okay, now I sorta get it. Not sure I’d make the same choice, because I’d get confused, but at least I understand why it works for you now! :)

Very true. It's the receptacle contacts that loosen. Both from repeated insertions and from excessive heat.

I also have a lucid and a Tesla, I use the adaptor that came with the Tesla to charge the Tesla, works fine.

It's worth noting that Tesla now has a "Universal Wall Connector" that works with both Tesla and non Tesla vehicles.

It's worth noting that Tesla now has a "Universal Wall Connector" that works with both Tesla and non Tesla vehicles.
Clever design with the integral adapter. Nothing else out there like it. I am impressed.

Clever design with the integral adapter. Nothing else out there like it. I am impressed.
I'm not always a fan of their product definition, but their engineering is generally outstanding.

Can you have both car charged at same time but set to draw less amp like 24amp each and assuming your circuit breaker is at 60amp?

Can you have both car charged at same time but set to draw less amp like 24amp each and assuming your circuit breaker is at 60amp?
If you are asking about the Tesla UWC, no. One car. It has one cord, with a fixed Tesla nacs plug head and a J1772 built-in adapter. I think it does not ship until September.

If you are asking about the Tesla UWC, no. One car. It has one cord, with a fixed Tesla nacs plug head and a J1772 built-in adapter. I think it does not ship until September.

Oh! I mean the splitter cable shown by the Original Poster. Can you charge both Tesla and Lucid at same time by setting lower amperage?

We already had a Tesla charger installed but like keeping 2 cars plugged in, so we had a Lucid charger installed as well with a DCC so that we don’t draw too much current at a time.

It’s working really well.

This has been my solution since acquiring my Lucid a year ago. I’m glad to have saved the money by not installing a second (Lucid brand) charger, and now I’ll be heading over to the Tesla website shortly to look into this UWC adapter you’re all talking about. Sounds really slick.

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpeg
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2084.jpeg
    IMG_2084.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
This has been my solution since acquiring my Lucid a year ago. I’m glad to have saved the money by not installing a second (Lucid brand) charger, and now I’ll be heading over to the Tesla website shortly to look into this UWC adapter you’re all talking about. Sounds really slick.
I believe you can also connect a Universal Tesla WC to the same 240V circuit as your existing Tesla wall connector, and have them power share.

Back