Lucids and general public perception.

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
I have noted in posts the last few days that I had my car at the CF charity show in Philly as well at the westchester NY CNC Peekskill and the Bear mountain car show ( one of the biggest on the east coast, 4-6 hundred cars every weds 5-9pm) and I get general positive response and interest. Very few people except rabid car guys seem to know about Lucid even with all the press over the last year. This is one area Lucid does not need to follow Teslas lead of very little initial public relations. I was happy to see the booth at Greenwich concours but why bring a black car? Not the best color to wow the public plus the finger print issue. Funny story driving back from the Greenwich concours and a red convertible Ferrari pulls along side me on rt 84. The guy motions me to roll down my window and yells. “ when did you get it? I’ve been waiting for mine for 5 months “ so more than a few Ferrari owners I’ve heard of have a Lucid on order it seems. We need to expand the pool of informed potential customers beyond the well read and car nuts.

I have noted in posts the last few days that I had my car at the CF charity show in Philly as well at the westchester NY CNC Peekskill and the Bear mountain car show ( one of the biggest on the east coast, 4-6 hundred cars every weds 5-9pm) and I get general positive response and interest. Very few people except rabid car guys seem to know about Lucid even with all the press over the last year. This is one area Lucid does not need to follow Teslas lead of very little initial public relations. I was happy to see the booth at Greenwich concours but why bring a black car? Not the best color to wow the public plus the finger print issue. Funny story driving back from the Greenwich concours and a red convertible Ferrari pulls along side me on rt 84. The guy motions me to roll down my window and yells. “ when did you get it? I’ve been waiting for mine for 5 months “ so more than a few Ferrari owners I’ve heard of have a Lucid on order it seems. We need to expand the pool of informed potential customers beyond the well read and car nuts.
Completely agree. I read a lot of EV news, and Lucid is rarely mentioned. Tesla dominates, of course, despite having no PR. Helps when you have a megalomaniac running the company. But Lucid doesn’t have that, so they need to get the word out the old fashioned way.

I see much more mentioning of the major manufacturers, too, of course. Which makes sense. But Lucid needs more news cycles. I love this stuff, and even I didn’t discover the company until late last year.

The problem with a strong PR program right now is that you have to respond to the "reality" you are trying to create. With the production problems Lucid has been having, I would be concerned that people would be disappointed if they tried ordering and than having to wait for months....just like us. While I am very anxious and excited about my order, it is hell waiting so long and it is frustrating at times learning about the various reasons for the delays.

I think as more get on the roads public awareness will build. Advertising is fine but for non-car people at the moment an ad for a Lucid is probably not going to look much different from an ad for a Faraday or some other “new and exotic” EV that they have never actually seen in the wild. I am in NY and yet to see one. At the moment getting their production / QC issues sorted so they can get deliveries happening at a decent rate is the best PR they could possibly do.

I also think awareness will build considerably once the Gravity comes out because that’s what people are into these days. Sedans are about 20% of the market in the US versus 50% for SUVs.

Tesla had free PR early because they essentially created the EV market from scratch and that was newsworthy. Of course you have to take the negative stories along with the good ones…but you know what they say about news. When do you ever see a news article about a Ford crash or a Toyota crash? (they are just “car accidents” and car brands are generally not identified). When a Tesla has an accident it’s suddenly very important to identify the brand. Similar with car fire- 190,000 a year but the only ones that make national news are when an EV is involved. I imagine we will find the same trend for Lucids and other new EV companies.

I was sitting in a coffee shop putting the world to rights on Sunday - I’d been there an hour or so, when this bloke walked in … looked around … walked towards our table and asked “is the Lucid outside yours? Do you mind if I ask some questions?” 15mins later my my friend was still deep in his phone, and this gentleman and his wife were still asking questions :)

to my knowledge I do not have a neon sign above my head and to have the cap / jacket / shirt. The other customers were as far as I could tell “normal”

Some members of the forum can’t even get lucid to communicate with them, much less having a sophisticated PR machine…

In retrospect, I think Lucid’s low key approach (whether by design or oversight) may be temporarily playing in their favor given the difficulties that they’ve been experiencing. Imagine them having even 2-3X the exposure that they do, how much magnified would their problems be.

What got me interested in Lucid was when I first saw a Lucid Air on Goliath Season 4 on Amazon Prime. Thought that is one great looking car and totally different, especially at night. Researched it and became very interested. Plus, love that it comes in a real silver color like Tesla used to offer.

Back