Lucid vs Mercedes/BMW not Tesla

Are you sure about the sizes?
Are you comparing outside dimensions, or the inside ones.
The inside dimensions are MBs (S class) comparable.
You are correct. I am comparing outside dimensions. When determining whether a car is mid sized or large or compact outside dimensions are used.

I do agree that the inside dimensions are larger but that is a feature, IMO, rather than a size determinant.

From a European point of view, I would say that size does‘t matter. ;) The question is, how it is positioned. The Lucid is a drivers car, not a chauffeur car for the Chinese market. The i7 is different. The focus is the second row, make it 10% longer and sell 50% in CN, 20% UAE, SA, …, US < 20%, 8% Europe. I would compare the Lucid with my EQS. But Lucid was able to make the car more compact with the same interior size.

The reason why I have reserved a Lucid AGT as a successor for my EQS are the quality problems and the poor materials in the Mercedes. And since I don‘t want to sit on the right backseat, the i7 is not for me.

From a European point of view, I would say that size does‘t matter. ;) The question is, how it is positioned. The Lucid is a drivers car, not a chauffeur car for the Chinese market. The i7 is different. The focus is the second row, make it 10% longer and sell 50% in CN, 20% UAE, SA, …, US < 20%, 8% Europe. I would compare the Lucid with my EQS. But Lucid was able to make the car more compact with the same interior size.

The reason why I have reserved a Lucid AGT as a successor for my EQS are the quality problems and the poor materials in the Mercedes. And since I don‘t want to sit on the right backseat, the i7 is not for me.
quite surprising to hear that.
I know someone who has a Plaid S, Mercedes EQS, and Lucid AGT, and he said the Mercedes was more luxurious, but the Lucid was the best all-rounder.

I personally think the EQS is a bit too tacky, like future vibes all over it for the purpose of being futuristic, so just not a fan of all of the blatant 'in your face luxury' like it's being forced.

Its of course my personal opinion but there is a difference between bling bling and luxury. Active ambient lights, hyperscreen and other features are nice. But its not luxury when everything below the dashboard is plastics, if the piano lacquer is plastics, .. I have owned a Range Rover Autobiography before. Leather was leather, metal was metal. In the EQS and in the i7 there is a lot of posing without substance.

I bought a EQS a year ago because it was the best EV you could by at that time. Don’t get me wrong. I like driving it. It is quiet and smooth, 500+ HP is more than I need. But it has a lot of quality problems. 5 unplanned workshop stays of one week within a year.

I’m really looking forward to get the Lucid.

You are correct. I am comparing outside dimensions. When determining whether a car is mid sized or large or compact outside dimensions are used.

I do agree that the inside dimensions are larger but that is a feature, IMO, rather than a size determinant.
It makes sense from a consumer perspective to think of vehicles by exterior dimensions - the EU groups by exterior size/function and similarity to other vehicles. But the USA uses interior dimensions, total cubic feet of passenger space to determine mid-size, compact, etc.. The EPA sets these standards.
Vehicle size classes by U.S. Fuel Economy Guide for sedans[5]
ClassInterior combined passenger and cargo volume index
Minicompact< 85 cubic feet (2,405 L)
Subcompact85–99.9 cubic feet (2,405–2,830 L)
Compact100–109.9 cubic feet (2,830–3,110 L)
Mid-size110–119.9 cubic feet (3,115–3,395 L)
Large≥ 120 cubic feet (3,400 L)
So a Camry at 115 cf is a mid-size
Lucid Air is 135 cf
EQS 138 cf

It makes sense from a consumer perspective to think of vehicles by exterior dimensions - the EU groups by exterior size/function and similarity to other vehicles. But the USA uses interior dimensions, total cubic feet of passenger space to determine mid-size, compact, etc.. The EPA sets these standards.
Vehicle size classes by U.S. Fuel Economy Guide for sedans[5]
ClassInterior combined passenger and cargo volume index
Minicompact< 85 cubic feet (2,405 L)
Subcompact85–99.9 cubic feet (2,405–2,830 L)
Compact100–109.9 cubic feet (2,830–3,110 L)
Mid-size110–119.9 cubic feet (3,115–3,395 L)
Large≥ 120 cubic feet (3,400 L)
So a Camry at 115 cf is a mid-size
Lucid Air is 135 cf
EQS 138 cf
One of the many ludicrous things that EPA does. By that standard, and according to the EPA, my 177 inch long Genesis GV60 is a "large" vehicle (126 cf combined). And that would put the 105inch MB EQS in the same class although one could almost fit two of my cars inside the EQS.

One of the many ludicrous things that EPA does. By that standard, and according to the EPA, my 177 inch long Genesis GV60 is a "large" vehicle (126 cf combined). And that would put the 105inch MB EQS in the same class although one could almost fit two of my cars inside the EQS.
This standard is for sedan only.

Isn’t it a mistake to have all these comparisons against the Tesla model S. The specs, features and target would seem to be closer to the MB S class and 7 series BMW.
In 2021, MB sold 14k S class in the US, and BMW sold nearly 8k 7 series cars. Both are well established brands. Lucid is brand new and in 2022 will sell about 7000 vehicles into what seems to me to be the same market. Why isn’t anyone saying that this is unprecedented success?
You raise an interesting point. Comparing Lucid Motors to Tesla's Model S might not entirely capture the essence of their market positioning. In terms of specifications, features, and target audience, Lucid seems to align more closely with the likes of the Mercedes-Benz S Class and the BMW 7 Series.

It's worth noting that established brands like Mercedes-Benz and BMW have a robust history in the luxury car market, reflected in their sales figures. However, considering Lucid's status as a newcomer, achieving around 7000 vehicle sales in 2022 within a similar market context is indeed a notable accomplishment.

I've always tried to compare the Air to Benz and BMW. The EQS and i7 are much better comparisons given the luxury class of how the car is made along with the price of the car. Some will argue the Model S belongs in that category too but personally I don't think it does given how it's priced. the Lucid Air Pure is the same price and that's the lowest tier of the Lucid.

I've always tried to compare the Air to Benz and BMW. The EQS and i7 are much better comparisons given the luxury class of how the car is made along with the price of the car. Some will argue the Model S belongs in that category too but personally I don't think it does given how it's priced. the Lucid Air Pure is the same price and that's the lowest tier of the Lucid.
One shouldn't compare cars based on price unless one wants to be able to say he has the highest priced car.

I just configured an I5 in the US as similarly to a Lucid as I could (it has some features that Lucid doesn't such as HUD but also misses some Lucid features) and it came out to $93,300. I still think the I5 is the best comparison.

One shouldn't compare cars based on price unless one wants to be able to say he has the highest priced car.

I just configured an I5 in the US as similarly to a Lucid as I could (it has some features that Lucid doesn't such as HUD but also misses some Lucid features) and it came out to $93,300. I still think the I5 is the best comparison.
I think i7 compares better when you factor in the space. i5 isn’t a bad comparison by any means either though.

Back