Lucid teases EPA Range Test for Lucid Air

If the EPA rating really is 442 miles (or better?), this means that the Lucid Air total system efficiency (powertrain and aerodynamics) is approximately 15% greater than the Tesla Model S.

It was only the "Long Range" version of the Model S that attained the 402-mile rating recently. However, assuming the Lucid the EPA tested was the twin-motor version, its performance is more in line with the "Performance" version of the Model S, which still has an EPA rating of 348 miles.

At the same time, the Tesla has a 100-kWh battery pack, and I'm assuming the Lucid has the 110-kWh pack that was reportedly used in the highway range tests earlier this year. So, given the different battery capacities, the better comparison of the Tesla to the Lucid is not actual range, but the efficiency metric of miles/kWh. Using that metric, the Lucid is yielding just over 4 miles/kWh in EPA testing, while the Tesla Performance Model S is yielding 3.48 miles/kWh . . . i. e., 15% better efficiency.

If so, this is a significant accomplishment for Lucid and, on top of the recent Cd test results, further support for the proposition that Lucid actually fulfills its claims about the car. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the Tuesday announcement to see if they clarify the configuration of the car tested, such as battery pack size, number of motors, tire and wheel combos, etc.

If the EPA rating really is 442 miles (or better?), this means that the Lucid Air total system efficiency (powertrain and aerodynamics) is approximately 15% greater than the Tesla Model S.

It was only the "Long Range" version of the Model S that attained the 402-mile rating recently. However, assuming the Lucid the EPA tested was the twin-motor version, its performance is more in line with the "Performance" version of the Model S, which still has an EPA rating of 348 miles.

At the same time, the Tesla has a 100-kWh battery pack, and I'm assuming the Lucid has the 110-kWh pack that was reportedly used in the highway range tests earlier this year. So, given the different battery capacities, the better comparison of the Tesla to the Lucid is not actual range, but the efficiency metric of miles/kWh. Using that metric, the Lucid is yielding just over 4 miles/kWh in EPA testing, while the Tesla Performance Model S is yielding 3.48 miles/kWh . . . i. e., 15% better efficiency.

If so, this is a significant accomplishment for Lucid and, on top of the recent Cd test results, further support for the proposition that Lucid actually fulfills its claims about the car. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the Tuesday announcement to see if they clarify the configuration of the car tested, such as battery pack size, number of motors, tire and wheel combos, etc.

If I am not mistaken, wasn't 4 miles/kWh Rawlinson's stated goal? With the expectation of achieving 5 miles/kWh in the future?

Exactly so. This is one of the key differences that is emerging between Tesla and Lucid. Lucid's claims might not be dosed with hype.

Despite my earlier skepticism, I'm actually beginning to believe Lucid's claims that it will deliver 400 miles of range in "real world highway driving", i.e., running at the speed limit on an interstate -- which it apparently did running up the I-5 from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

What remains to be seen is whether Lucid's claim that the battery pack will accept a fast charge to 100% capacity with less serious degradation than current battery chemistries holds up. That would make the range claims truly meaningful for long road trips.

Exactly so. This is one of the key differences that is emerging between Tesla and Lucid. Lucid's claims might not be dosed with hype.

That is exactly what my salesperson has told me repeatedly and why I put down my deposit on the Dream Edition. Rawlinson set the expectations and I am expecting that they will be met.

Rawlinson is an interesting character. He's less a visionary than Musk but a far better engineer . . . and with a lot of Lotus DNA still in his blood.

When watching a company, one of the sources I use is GlassDoor, a site where employees (current and ex) post about their employers. Such sites tend to be outlets for the disgruntled, but viable insight can be gleaned from the trends of the posts, if not from some of the individual posts.

Seen through the GlassDoor lens, Rawlinson appears as a driven task master, putting in and expecting long hours and unstinting dedication to mission from everyone. He sets high engineering goals and is relentless in pursuing them, sometimes being openly abusive to subordinates in public settings.

The overall tenor of the posts, including from those who departed hating Rawlinson and/or the company, is that:

- Rawlinson, though he can be an unpleasant human being, is a brilliant engineer

- the heads of the technical divisions are top drawer in their fields, even if other functional heads might not be

- the competence and dedication of the workforce in general is very high

- the car itself is an amazing product.

On the last point there was near unanimity.

Last edited:
I often refer to Glass Door as well. No question he is a brilliant engineer. Question is can he run a Company with a business perspective as well?

That's an interesting question. Rawlinson certainly talks a good game in terms of market positioning, P&L issues, building brand identity, etc. We won't really know what his business chops are for a while, I suspect. In any case, his retaining the CTO title when picking up CEO duties suggests to me that his heart and ultimately his mind may really stay turned more in that direction.

That could be a good thing. American car makers hit their apogee as businesses when they were run by engineers who put engineering first. They began to fail as businesses when MBA's and people from the finance ranks took over the C-suite. Cadillac produced one of the longest lists of technology breakthroughs in automotive history and earned its claim to be the standard of the world. No engineer running that company would have ever let its brand get sullied by the likes of a Cadillac Cimarron.

On a related note, I hope Lucid does not try to go public any time soon. They need to get a robust product and a strong brand built before having to deal with the pressures the stock market puts on management. With 53% Saudi ownership of the company, they may not have to resort to public markets for capital for a while yet.

I'm gobsmacked . . . and it may get even more amazing. Rawlinson thinks the official EPA rating could hit 550 miles:

I was hoping for a little more detail, though. The only information on the battery pack is that it is smaller than the original 130-kWh pack. (There were reports the February road tests were run with 110-kWh packs.) They also haven't revealed the motor configuration of the test car.

Just emailed my sales associate to see if he can provide any info on the battery pack.

This was also included at the very end of the announcement - "We’re only weeks away from September 9, when we will launch the Lucid brand and reveal the production Lucid Air. Please be sure to personalize your Lucid Dream Ahead launch experience."
Does this mean that the configurator will be up soon???

Please let us know what you hear back from your sales rep. I'm pretty sure it was a deliberate decision not to disclose the battery pack size. I just emailed my sales rep to see if she could tell me how closely the test car was configured to the Dream Edition in terms of motor configuration, tire/wheel sizes, etc. My guess is that will kept under wraps, too, for the time being, but I'll post anything she can tell me. (It's not yet 7:00 a.m. out there yet.)

Earlier my sales rep did tell me that there would be no changes to the company website until the reveal on September 9, so I'm guessing the configurator will come then or shortly thereafter.

Geez, I'm doing a lot of guessing here. I need to calm down a bit.

I was also told, some time ago, that they were doing one major rewrite of their site to coincide with the Sept 9th launch and that the configurator would be made available at the same time. My sales associate did tell me recently that the "special invitation" going out to Dream Edition reservation holders would contain special content. Maybe that is what they are referring to? I'll let you know when I receive a response.

Here is the response I just received regarding the battery pack. Sounds like we will nedd to wait until Sept 9th to learn more. - "While you will see full specifications shared on pack size in a few weeks, we have stated publicly in the past that the Lucid Air’s largest available battery pack would be 130kWh, and due to the efficiency gains we have been able to achieve with careful engineering, the battery pack is now considerably smaller."

The reference to, "Please be sure to personalize your Lucid Dream Ahead launch experience," refers to the fact that Dream Edition reservation holders will receive a personalized VIP experience to the launch event.

Thanks. I'm sure they've started tightening the screws on what their sales people can communicate so as to keep tension building until September 9.

It's working, by the way . . . .

Thanks. I'm sure they've started tightening the screws on what their sales people can communicate so as to keep tension building until September 9.

It's working, by the way . . . .
Just got this message from my Sales Associate after my note about pricing. “We are going to be announcing pricing and options at the global reveal on September 9th and I anticipate that we will give early reservation holders access to the configurator shortly afterwards“.

Just heard from my sales rep. She was as tight-lipped with further information about the configuration of the test car as your guy.

All the recent announcements about key aspects of the car -- aerodynamic numbers, ADAS, and range rating -- have come on a Tuesday. There are four Tuesdays left. I suspect this is the last piece of really significant information we're going to hear before the reveal, unless the EPA confirms before then that they will apply the Tesla reduction factor to the Lucid Air to give it a 550+ mile rating.

Back