Admin
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Dream P
DE Number
Referral Code
R0YBCKIJ
I finally figured out why lag time doesn't bother me at all. When I'm leaving from home I have to get situated and car is booted up by then. When I'm out, when I get in my car the first thing I do is put on sanitizer and wait until that dries before driving off. By the time hand sanitizer has dried everything has booted up.

Boot time is AT LEAST 100% faster than originally delivered. Barely an instances of any errors nowadays. So unless you are doing a F1 style pit stop, I would think that ACTUAL usage of load times is within reason. Some people here have knocked the car for slow boot times, but by the time I open my door, push the brake to get it loading and do all the other stuff in the car, it's usually good to go.

I finally figured out why lag time doesn't bother me at all. When I'm leaving from home I have to get situated and car is booted up by then. When I'm out, when I get in my car the first thing I do is put on sanitizer and wait until that dries before driving off. By the time hand sanitizer has dried everything has booted up.

Boot time is AT LEAST 100% faster than originally delivered. Barely an instances of any errors nowadays. So unless you are doing a F1 style pit stop, I would think that ACTUAL usage of load times is within reason. Some people here have knocked the car for slow boot times, but by the time I open my door, push the brake to get it loading and do all the other stuff in the car, it's usually good to go.

I agree. It’s only bothered me a handful of times, mostly when I’m running late and backing out of my garage.

I agree with Bob…you get used to it. With the caveat that some people want to run out and jump in the car and go. Tesla is good for that. Ironically, ICE cars are not, as you have to push a start button to fire up the engine and let the engine settle down, which probably takes about as long as the software to boot in the Air.

I agree with Bob…you get used to it. With the caveat that some people want to run out and jump in the car and go. Tesla is good for that. Ironically, ICE cars are not, as you have to push a start button to fire up the engine and let the engine settle down, which probably takes about as long as the software to boot in the Air.
Right?!? I mean, the only instant boot cars people are used to are Tesla...with any other ICE you SHOULD wait for the engine to settle down...that's why I'm having trouble understanding the impatience! Life is good if you are driving an Air...just slow down and enjoy =)

I’ve never once waited in a gas car, why would you do that?

I’ve never once waited in a gas car, why would you do that?
Because all of us EV owners are trying to save the planet and once you start a gas engine you are supposed to wait for the catalytic converter to heat up before driving off to reduce emissions. At least that's what I remember hearing about why you are supposed to wait 30 seconds before driving anywhere.

Because all of us EV owners are trying to save the planet and once you start a gas engine you are supposed to wait for the catalytic converter to heat up before driving off to reduce emissions. At least that's what I remember hearing about why you are supposed to wait 30 seconds before driving anywhere.
If you're driving an ICE car, you don't care about emissions ;). Having said that, as a long time ICE car driver, I had never heard that before. To agree with Paladin, I have never waited either. But perhaps if I took more time to put sanitizer on my hands that would help save the planet more. Then again, I do live in AZ :).

If you're driving an ICE car, you don't care about emissions ;). Having said that, as a long time ICE car driver, I had never heard that before. To agree with Paladin, I have never waited either. But perhaps if I took more time to put sanitizer on my hands that would help save the planet more. Then again, I do live in AZ :).

From https://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/ho...ng starts can be,problem will clear itself up.

Is It Bad To Drive Your Car Right After Starting It?
You will actually prolong your engine’s life if you simply warm up your car right away during winter, as recommended by Popular Mechanics. Once your engine has warmed up, that will actually make things safer for the driver, not only do they drive longer but also their engine will last longer.

This ensures that lubricating oil gets to all parts of the engine, which is why you should start the engine after fastening your seat belt as early as possible.

30 seconds should be enough time for the engine to run. The only thing it takes for a 30 year old or newer car to need maintenance is its mileage. For very cold cars that have been covered with snow and ice, give it an extra couple of minutes to warm up.

From https://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/ho...ng starts can be,problem will clear itself up.

You will actually prolong your engine’s life if you simply warm up your car right away during winter, as recommended by Popular Mechanics. Once your engine has warmed up, that will actually make things safer for the driver, not only do they drive longer but also their engine will last longer.

This ensures that lubricating oil gets to all parts of the engine, which is why you should start the engine after fastening your seat belt as early as possible.

30 seconds should be enough time for the engine to run. The only thing it takes for a 30 year old or newer car to need maintenance is its mileage. For very cold cars that have been covered with snow and ice, give it an extra couple of minutes to warm up.

This is also why many cars have a “cold engine” light. My Mazda is a little blue thermometer on the dash.

Modern cars don’t need a warm up period. If they did the ICE manufacturers could easily build in a delay. They don’t and many have 100k drive train warranties.

When I got my car, I didn't know the secondary backup camera was broken, so it was really annoying not being able to get in the car and hit reverse and drive with the center console not booted up yet. With the secondary camera now fixed, its not a big deal. I'd estimate that I can get in the car and go in 10 seconds or so.

I'm still thinking there should be engine noise or I should press something, so I probably sit there for 10 seconds or so before I realize a can go. Still can't get my brain wrapped around that piece.

The startup lag time has me a little concerned. I hope it is a software issue they can address over time. I have been driving a Tesla Model S for the last 8 years and the delay the getting in to drive is almost non-existent. There are times where it can take a few seconds, but its nothing really significant. Early on Teslas took a little while to fully boot up as well, but the software improved over time.

I cant help but picture Apollo 13 when thinking about Lucid engineers trying to improve the car the boot up. LOL.

From https://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/how-long-should-you-wait-after-starting-engine/#:~:text=All following starts can be,problem will clear itself up.

Has anyone else read that article all the way through? It is quite hilarious in its non-sensicality (if that is a word) and surely has to be generated by bad AI.

I agree, I no of no one that has ever waited in a gas car either, myself included.
Please next time you use your ICE, just pay attention to the time from opening the door until putting the car in reverse. I’m not talking about intentionally sitting there for some specified time, I’m talking about the natural “delays” - get in, sit down, close door, put on seat belt, hit start button (or insert and turn key!?), engine starter turns for a sec and then engine fires up to 3000 rpm’s, then settles down. Then you put car in reverse and start backing up.

That has to be your sequence. Unless you are slamming the car into reverse immediately after hitting the “Engine Start” button, the entire process is about 10-20 seconds, right? It’s longer than you think. We’re just busy doing something so we don’t perceive the seconds of waiting. That’s what I’m talking about.

In the Lucid, we can perceive the wait because there’s nothing happening. So it feels like a long time: Get in, foot on brake, wait for systems to power up so you can put the car in reverse. Probably 10-20 seconds. Another 15 seconds and the surround view camera and radio come on.

I see two camps forming on this. Group A complaining how long it takes to get going ... and Group B that that does not disagree with Group A but feels obligated to explain how it is possible to tolerate the delay by finding things to do while waiting for the car to boot. I think both Groups are correct !!! it takes way too long to boot up by modern EV standards.

Please next time you use your ICE, just pay attention to the time from opening the door until putting the car in reverse. I’m not talking about intentionally sitting there for some specified time, I’m talking about the natural “delays” - get in, sit down, close door, put on seat belt, hit start button (or insert and turn key!?), engine starter turns for a sec and then engine fires up to 3000 rpm’s, then settles down. Then you put car in reverse and start backing up.

That has to be your sequence. Unless you are slamming the car into reverse immediately after hitting the “Engine Start” button, the entire process is about 10-20 seconds, right? It’s longer than you think. We’re just busy doing something so we don’t perceive the seconds of waiting. That’s what I’m talking about.

In the Lucid, we can perceive the wait because there’s nothing happening. So it feels like a long time: Get in, foot on brake, wait for systems to power up so you can put the car in reverse. Probably 10-20 seconds. Another 15 seconds and the surround view camera and radio come on.
So is the point that it's going to be like that forever? Like to know--not everyone enjoys, or is aggravated by, the same things

This thread alleviates the minor concern i had before about the Lucid startup process. A) it’s getting better and B) it’s a minor adjustment from prior cars at most. Won’t be as quick as my MS yet but half the time I start driving and then think about the little things I meant to do before driving (plug in phone, type in Nav, change music on phone, etc 😊). Knowing the rear camera works asap is key. Thanks all.

So is the point that it's going to be like that forever? Like to know--not everyone enjoys, or is aggravated by, the same things
I believe Lucid continues to work on a remedy for the delay so that the Air is comparable to Tesla boot times. I have had a technician at my house working on my DE twice (once for tire bulge, once for slow wake times) and he noted that the engineers are aware of owner dissatisfaction with wake and boot times and claims they are working on it. 1.2.1 has improved things somewhat, but still not comparable to Tesla, which is more instantaneous.

This is why @hydbob and I have been saying: the Air causes you to slow down and calm yourself for 10-30 seconds before driving off into the chaos of the world….

Back