Lucid start to drive time

Interesting. I believe Tesla uses T-Mobile. Which tends to have weaker signal than I'd like where I live. Then again, pretty much all the carriers suck in the Boulder area.

I am beginning to wonder if the issue is not all software but a hardware issue as well. Processor speed and memory. Its bad if your friends give you grief.
Based off what all the other software devs on herehave said, it's all software because it's running on a vm. So, we ask patiently wait to see how it is when the os is native.

I am beginning to wonder if the issue is not all software but a hardware issue as well. Processor speed and memory. Its bad if your friends give you grief.
The hardware is fine. Great, even.

Based off what all the other software devs on herehave said, it's all software because it's running on a vm. So, we ask patiently wait to see how it is when the os is native.
Modern hypervisors are very fast so I don't think using VMs is the issue.

Modern hypervisors are very fast so I don't think using VMs is the issue.
I am no expert but if the base hardware is lacking then the VM may not run properly . From the web 'There are a few drawbacks with virtual machines. Since hardware resources are indirect, they are not as efficient as a physical computer. Also, when many virtual machines are running at the same time on a single computer, performance can become unstable.' hence the need for reboots?
I am a car guy. I wanted the Lucid for all its tech. Didn't want a high performance car where I paid to be a beta tester. We all have things we are willing to be frivolous about. For me a car is a toy that I want to use. For me the shortcomings of the autonomous features make it a no go. I would never buy a Tesla I wanted the Lucid. I think I am going to get a RS6.

I am no expert but if the base hardware is lacking then the VM may not run properly . From the web 'There are a few drawbacks with virtual machines. Since hardware resources are indirect, they are not as efficient as a physical computer. Also, when many virtual machines are running at the same time on a single computer, performance can become unstable.' hence the need for reboots?
I am a car guy. I wanted the Lucid for all its tech. Didn't want a high performance car where I paid to be a beta tester. We all have things we are willing to be frivolous about. For me a car is a toy that I want to use. For me the shortcomings of the autonomous features make it a no go. I would never buy a Tesla I wanted the Lucid. I think I am going to get a RS6.
I use VMs all the time without issue. You can run multiple instances of Linux on a very old x86 computer so I doubt that it is a hardware issue. It is actually easy to write very bad and slow object oriented code! My guess is a bad design/platform to start with that is being fixed, but will take time. Just my opinion.

I use VMs all the time without issue. You can run multiple instances of Linux on a very old x86 computer so I doubt that it is a hardware issue. It is actually easy to write very bad and slow object oriented code! My guess is a bad design/platform to start with that is being fixed, but will take time. Just my opinion.
My hope is that they avoided object oriented programming, but I suspect I would have a greater chance of winning the lottery. I have rarely seen a real need for inheritance where generic programming or type punning could not substitute. One day we may escape the atrocities of object oriented design in the modern and commonly perceived/confused sense that it means to Frankenstein code and have inheritance everywhere... There is no such thing as a zero cost abstraction after all.

Hopefully, the new guy from Apple whips the team and software into shape.

Are you a software engineer by trade?

Last edited:
The hardware is fine. Great, even.
I agree that the hardware seems to be exceptional. However....

Here is a YouTube review of the Lucid Air GT, and in my opinion it is spot on. This is the review I would do if I had a YouTube channel.

I agree that the hardware seems to be exceptional. However....

Here is a YouTube review of the Lucid Air GT, and in my opinion it is spot on. This is the review I would do if I had a YouTube channel.

I don’t disagree with most of the review. However, I think it is disingenuous for him to infer that this is the software that will remain and that Lucid’s promises of software updates, which include DDP are akin to Elon’s FSD “coming soon” empty promises.

I don’t disagree with most of the review. However, I think it is disingenuous for him to infer that this is the software that will remain and that Lucid’s promises of software updates, which include DDP are akin to Elon’s FSD “coming soon” empty promises.
Agreed. The software needs a lot of work, but he makes some mistakes (like the confusion of android automotive against android auto) and the implication that it will never get better is disingenuous.

My wife has a 2021 Range Rover Sport Autobiography and it TAKES FOREVER for the software to respond to touch screen. While the engine does start and we can take off right away (fast and loud albeit!) - the nav system doesn't boot up for use until maybe 2 full minutes into the drive; super annoying as you can't turn off the stupid auto-stop/start or change the radio, load carplay, or load nav instructions until it FINALLY boots up. At least the air conditioner does come on right away though - so at least we have that. I find myself going to start the car before she is 'all the way ready to leave the house' so I can get the car booted up and ready to go.
The display screen on your wife's Range Rover looks the same as on the one on my 2021 Jag which makes sense for JLR to use hardware/software across their brands, with that I will say that your wife has a somewhat defective unit as the hardware/software all boots fast with no noticeable lag in the Jag. I would warranty the issue.

I believe Lucid continues to work on a remedy for the delay so that the Air is comparable to Tesla boot times. I have had a technician at my house working on my DE twice (once for tire bulge, once for slow wake times) and he noted that the engineers are aware of owner dissatisfaction with wake and boot times and claims they are working on it. 1.2.1 has improved things somewhat, but still not comparable to Tesla, which is more instantaneous.

This is why @hydbob and I have been saying: the Air causes you to slow down and calm yourself for 10-30 seconds before driving off into the chaos of the world….
Just as a note, my 2013 model s significantly degraded over time in its boot time as Tesla left older cars in the dust. My AGT hasn’t remotely been bad, especially compared to the embarrassments I had with my Model S 2013 back in the day.

My wife's new IX-50 uses a start stop button to wake up the car, which acts as built in delay, but it is noticeably faster than the Lucid. Lucid delay is not a problem for me as our gate needs at least 15-20 seconds to open due to the long distance it has to travel.

Just as a note, my 2013 model s significantly degraded over time in its boot time as Tesla left older cars in the dust. My AGT hasn’t remotely been bad, especially compared to the embarrassments I had with my Model S 2013 back in the day.
The big one is coming, I can feel it. Cheers to hopefully instantaneous boot times soon.

The big one is coming, I can feel it. Cheers to hopefully instantaneous boot times soon.
You better get to the hospital if "the big one is coming". Tell Fred Sanford we said "hello".;)

Back