Lucid software issues

Grnr92663

Cars
Touring + R1S
Lots of bugs - Seems like they are losing control of the software development & QA. Worst of all, every time we complained to SA (and even to Lucid personnel on this forum), we all hear "yes, but it is still the best EV in the world...."

Complained to my cousin & his friends who work in engineering won't do much, since they're in the HW groups. There are still too many silos within Lucid's engineering.

And they need to fix that 12v battery issue before it becomes a big disaster for the company.

No idea why you say it went from decent to horrible! I 100% disagree with you! The software started with lots of issues and was not good but functional and has gotten better and better over time. Of course, it does still have its bugs but functional at 95%+.

What are your issues with the software?

I suggest a list of bugs and a survey of the owners to identify which are most common, which are the most serious and which are just plain annoying. In my case, the latest update has introduced new errors to my vehicle, most are described in the 2.0.50 thread. It seems that this update has awakened dormant issues and added new concerns for myself and other owners. For example, sometimes my trunk opens about 1 inch then closes. It could also be that any update can cause these issues if the car does not reboot properly after the update routine completes . I would like the little birdies, often cited in CarPlay threads, to tell us when the software will be stable.

It’s certainly not horrible. If I had to explain it in one word it would be “frustrating”. When things work I think it’s a solid system with lots more potential. Unfortunately, It’s just so hit and miss at the moment on whether you’re going to get a big free experience or a buggy one.

I would have to say at the moment 90% of my issues are with the cameras. The other 10% is just a mixed bag.

My car's software needs further improvement, but is certainly not horrible. It is a wonderful car to be in and drive even with its current quirks.

I don’t think that many who started with software version 1.0 would agree with you. People buying now are getting a much more stable platform with some bugs, but far from horrible. Horrible puts you into Porsche Taycan territory.

I"m sorry to read that some are / have had software problems. To keep the perspective from time to time I am going to post that I have never had a software problem. Took delivery end of Sept, 22. Both of my issues were faulty control modules. I'm going to guess that this has happened across the industry during the supply-chain troubles. Does anyone check the other vehicle forums to see if they are having chip issues with latest productions, or does my theory not hold water ?

My issues tend to either be related to SiriusXM/Tidal or camera issues (knock on wood). I tend to just ignore them no move on. The issues are not consistent, but I can back up without using a camera and I can listen to music across a broad spectrum. Something usually plays, eventually, but I still have times where I have to press a few buttons to get it to play. It never remembers my favorites in SiriusXM, so I tend to listen to just one channel. I am really getting tired of my own Tidal playlist.

None of the other vehicles in my household are this erratic/frustrating. I enjoy driving the car though and just “settle” for its’ quirks, hoping that they fix things, or at least make them better.

In almost 2 months of ownership, I have had one incidence of the cameras not being available. There has been the occasional slow response to waking up. The audio drops occasionally. But really...just minor annoyances. My trust in the car builds daily. The sky is not falling and Im having a ball driving this car.

In the three months of ownership, we encountered the following problems:

- Door lock (simply won't work & unpredictable - worst feature !!! )
- Car won't recognize key (mobile & fob)
- Requires too many reboots
- Dead pilot panel
- Mute radio & sound
- Can't recognize the profile
- ADAS not working reliably
- Charging (could be EA, but other cars charged fine).
- Backup & 360 camera
- Garage opener
- Spotify
- Alexa
- And some more ... Lost track ...

For a while, the car worked fine, almost perfectly. With the latest software, it went from 9/10 to 3/10. The good thing to me is that the car & HW seem solid, but again, for $100K, I shouldn't have to put up with a buggy car like this. It makes my neighbor Taycan looks robust (and we all used to think of the Taycan as having garbage software).

From an engineering perspective, I think Lucid has one of the best drive-train & hardware engineering team, possibly even better than Tesla and Porsche, but its software team makes the one from VW look golden ... They should seek help ....

Last edited:

How do you have this set up? Fob/mobile key/etc. What are the symptoms?
The car "reboots" every time it is asleep for more than a few minutes. Are you needing extra? Under what circumstances?
- Dead pilot panel
Dead? Like no display? Have you contacted service?
- Mute radio & sound
If you mean that all sound goes quiet... AGREE! This needs to be fixed ASAP!
Do you have multiple profiles? Using face/key? I agree that this system is weird... we need clarity on how it works and how to be sure it succeeds.
What happens?
- Charging (could be EA, but other cars charged fine).\
I guess I've been lucky on this with very few EA problems. This does need to be made more reliable if possible.
- Backup & 360 camera
What's wrong here? I find if you give the car a few seconds to wake up after tapping the brake pedal and before selecting reverse, it works better.
- Garage opener
Do you mean that you have to close the camera or that it doesn't work. The former is an issue that needs to be fixed! The latter I haven't experienced.
- Spotify
What is the issue here?
Sucks.

For a while, the car worked fine, almost perfectly. With the latest software, it went from 9/10 to 3/10. The good thing to me is that the car & HW seem solid, but again, for $100K, I shouldn't have to put up with a buggy car like this. It makes my neighbor Taycan looks robust (and we all used to think of the Taycan as having garbage software).

From an engineering perspective, I think Lucid has one of the best drive-train & hardware engineering team, possibly even better than Tesla and Porsche, but its software team makes the one from VW look golden ... They should seek help ....

- Dead pilot panel
- Mute radio & sound
- Charging (could be EA, but other cars charged fine).
- Backup & 360 camera
- Garage opener
- Spotify
- Alexa

You said you received your Touring 3 months ago but I haven't found any of your posts about delivery or anything about your problems before this post?

To really build great software you need great engineers. To get great engineers you need to get to the fang level. Facebook amazon Netflix google where their bread and butter is software. To get to fang level you have to recruit, retain and pay the cream of crop of software engineers. So until you see those type things evolve you really won’t have software leadership gets to next level. That said I really hope Lucid is able to leverage tech layoffs to add to their software engineering bench strength. They need to bring in some big guns in software space big talent to see big change. They should clean software up exactly how they cleaned up logistics. This coming from someone that does software their entire career(15+years) and works for fang.

Last edited:
Lots of bugs - Seems like they are losing control of the software development & QA. Worst of all, every time we complained to SA (and even to Lucid personnel on this forum), we all hear "yes, but it is still the best EV in the world...."

Complained to my cousin & his friends who work in engineering won't do much, since they're in the HW groups. There are still too many silos within Lucid's engineering.

And they need to fix that 12v battery issue before it becomes a big disaster for the company.
When was the last time you heard about the 12v issue? I do not even remember. I had the car only since Dec 30th but I don't have any show stopper bugs to complain about. It helps everyone a lot and perhaps there are people here who can help if you have a specific question or problem with 2.0.50 that we do not know of.

To really build great software you need great engineers. To get great engineers you need to get to the fang level. Facebook amazon Netflix google where their bread and butter is software. To get to fang level you have to recruit, retain and pay the cream of crop of software engineers. So until you see those type things evolve you really won’t have software leadership gets to next level. That said I really hope Lucid is able to leverage tech layoffs to add to their software engineering bench strength. They need to bring in some big guns in software space big talent to see big change. They should clean software up exactly how they cleaned up logistics. This coming from someone that does software their entire career(15+years) and works for fang.
Which lucid do you own and how long? Can you be specific about the problems? I worked in hardware for 30 years and I can tell you that Microsoft stated the trend to ship good enough software. Remember that the first stable version of windows was 3.1? You know how bad fangs were in year 1 compared to lucid after just 1 year and 2.0 release with such a small number of cars. By that measure lucid is leaps and bounds ahead.

I suggest a list of bugs and a survey of the owners to identify which are most common, which are the most serious and which are just plain annoying. In my case, the latest update has introduced new errors to my vehicle, most are described in the 2.0.50 thread. It seems that this update has awakened dormant issues and added new concerns for myself and other owners. For example, sometimes my trunk opens about 1 inch then closes. It could also be that any update can cause these issues if the car does not reboot properly after the update routine completes . I would like the little birdies, often cited in CarPlay threads, to tell us when the software will be stable.
Did you not see the poll conducted by owners and posted here? If you look at it none of them really hurt the performance of the cars. You are welcome to consider other cars.

Thanks for posting. I'm a big fan of my car. Best driving car I have owned, and I've had quite a few (my list is somewhere on this forum). That said, it needs work in the software department.

1. The moderators are always compiling a list of KNOWN BUGS (which is different that SOFTWARE REQUESTS that are included in the MEGA-POLL). I truly hope Lucid is paying attention and is working on these. If you would like to contribute, please message me directly and I'll include the item. Please be specific. So far we have:
• camera unavailable/lag
• EA handshake inconsistent
• Corner radar errors/faults around metal buildings
• Poor handoff between WiFi and cellular interrupts music stream
• Repeated speed limit updates when speed limit is not changing
• HA steering not pausing to allow lane change with turn signal until after 3 blinks
• Navigation not selecting fastest route
• Occasional long delay for pilot panel to come on
• Unlocking/locking unreliable and inconsistent
• Key antenna does not work from back of car.,. approaching the car from the back requires user to walk around to the side to wake car before using truck button.
• Doors locking while standing next to the car after loading something in the back seat before I can get into the driver's seat. Unsafe when loading a baby
• Occasional error in efficiency calculation since last charge, readings of 0 or 6.2 are examples
• Alexa "Something went wrong" for no apparent reason
• Profile system unclear in its use and often completely fails
2. There's no accurate "little birdies." The one in the thread you reference predicted CarPlay by the end of January, but was wrong (I'm writing this in February).
3. I haven't seen the trunk issue you mention. Have you contacted service regarding it? Since you are the first, I suspect it is mechanical as opposed to software. Please let me know the outcome.
4. I always recommend doing a reboot after any update. I usually use the keycard variant and walk away for at least 20 minutes.

I’m glad you were never on the 1.0 version of the software!

That said, I have found very few issues with the software. Occasionally I will have an issue with the camera on one of the two panels turning on, but that is more of me being impatient and trying to drive away before things finish loading. I have found very few anctual bugs with the current version of the software. Any bugs seen by users are amplified nicely on this board. Most of us, though, find that the car is working very well. Are there things I would like to have them program differently? Yes. But those are not bugs.

Thanks for posting. I'm a big fan of my car. Best driving car I have owned, and I've had quite a few (my list is somewhere on this forum). That said, it needs work in the software department.

1. The moderators are always compiling a list of KNOWN BUGS (which is different that SOFTWARE REQUESTS that are included in the MEGA-POLL). I truly hope Lucid is paying attention and is working on these. If you would like to contribute, please message me directly and I'll include the item. Please be specific. So far we have:
• camera unavailable/lag
• EA handshake inconsistent
• Corner radar errors/faults around metal buildings
• Poor handoff between WiFi and cellular interrupts music stream
• Repeated speed limit updates when speed limit is not changing
• HA steering not pausing to allow lane change with turn signal until after 3 blinks
• Navigation not selecting fastest route
• Occasional long delay for pilot panel to come on
• Unlocking/locking unreliable and inconsistent
• Key antenna does not work from back of car.,. approaching the car from the back requires user to walk around to the side to wake car before using truck button.
• Doors locking while standing next to the car after loading something in the back seat before I can get into the driver's seat. Unsafe when loading a baby
• Occasional error in efficiency calculation since last charge, readings of 0 or 6.2 are examples
• Alexa "Something went wrong" for no apparent reason
• Profile system unclear in its use and often completely fails
2. There's no accurate "little birdies." The one in the thread you reference predicted CarPlay by the end of January, but was wrong (I'm writing this in February).
3. I haven't seen the trunk issue you mention. Have you contacted service regarding it? Since you are the first, I suspect it is mechanical as opposed to software. Please let me know the outcome.
4. I always recommend doing a reboot after any update. I usually use the keycard variant and walk away for at least 20 minutes.

I can add:
Mirrors failing to tuck in when car locks
Rear sun screen failing to automatically return to upright position after car changes from reverse to drive or only rising half way and stopping
No internet/vehicle offline even when it should be on my home WiFi---I am back to carrying the key fob to make sure I can unlock the car.
Pilot panel and top right console panel going blank while driving
Pilot panel frozen, unresponsive to touch
No sounds in vehicle. ( After 2 soft reset attempts and 1 valet card reset attempt I used the forbidden reset to cure this issue.) Has happened 3 times since 2.0.50.
The last 3 issues required immediate attention and forced me to pull off the road. The first time that I had no sounds, I thought it was just that the entertainment console sounds were not working, which happens from time to time. It wasn't until I used my now silent turn signal that I realized it was a bigger problem. These software bugs range from slightly annoying to comfort and safety issues.

Trunk issue was part of my December service visit, but remains an open repair ticket, as they did not have parts available and I did not want to be in a rental for weeks waiting for the parts to arrive. It happened again 3 days ago. When I need to have service on the vehicle, I will have the trunk repair completed.
Also, I have an issue with the driver side door locking with the handle extended. The door will not unlock via the app or a reset. I found this can only be remedied by using the mechanical door opener inside the vehicle. Probably a sensor issue.

I completely agree with your first paragraph.

Back