Lucid Production Video

Perhaps vitriol is too strong a word, but I meant towards the rest of the forum via the “fanboys” comment repetition, not necessarily toward Lucid.

I think the final point I’ll make is that I’m not saying Lucid doesn’t have factory issues. I’m not saying it’s all supply chain cascading. I’m also not saying it’s not that. My whole point is that none of us know, and we are all just speculating, and where we fall on the side of supply chain vs factory negligence/idiocy has solely to do with our attitude and/or optimism. None of us know for certain, and pretending otherwise is asinine. It’s all guesses. That’s all.
CilitiesIt’s incredibly easy to criticize. I personally built two 250k sqft manufacturing facilities and what looks terrific on paper is much different in real life. This not a defense but a point to be considered. Certainly Lucid has had its hiccups but, which startup hasn’t. In addition their is room for improvement

Unreal, in Miami the showroom has silver. What did they do, use a spray can? Should not sell the customer something they can’t deliver. I reserved my silver March 2021.
"What did they do, use a spray can? " 😂

Yes, I am back, had to exercise the 24 hour rule on my part, and also wanted to get my update call yesterday. The grey paint issue has NOTHING to do with supply chain if anything that Lucid has recently told me is true. They stated that fact outright, "the grey paint issue has NOTHING to do with supply chain". It all has to do with the Harmonization Process. It is complicated and I am not taking anything away from that. They obviously think they are close to resolving the issue as I continue to get an estimate of "mid to late April for a VIN, maybe first week of May".

You can say that is speculation if you want, but you are also assuming you know more than multiple people at Lucid who have stated the above. I am only passing on what has been told to me, no speculation on my part whatsoever. I am not guessing at all. If Lucid wanted to tell me something different, they have had every opportunity to do so.

We need to stop making excuses for Lucid. They are big boys. If they wanted to blame the issue on supply chain, they have had every opportunity to do so. It certainly would have been easy to do.

Yes, I am back, had to exercise the 24 hour rule on my part, and also wanted to get my update call yesterday. The grey paint issue has NOTHING to do with supply chain if anything that Lucid has recently told me is true. They stated that fact outright, "the grey paint issue has NOTHING to do with supply chain". It all has to do with the Harmonization Process. It is complicated and I am not taking anything away from that. They obviously think they are close to resolving the issue as I continue to get an estimate of "mid to late March for a VIN, maybe first week of May".

You can say that is speculation if you want, but you are also assuming you know more than multiple people at Lucid who have stated the above. I am only passing on what has been told to me, no speculation on my part whatsoever. I am not guessing at all. If Lucid wanted to tell me something different, they have had every opportunity to do so.

We need to stop making excuses for Lucid. They are big boys. If they wanted to blame the issue on supply chain, they have had every opportunity to do so. It certainly would have been easy to do.
OK, I'll acknowledge my ignorance -- what does "harmonization" mean in this context, please?

OK, I'll acknowledge my ignorance -- what does "harmonization" mean in this context, please?
I'm guessing getting the paint on the bumper to match the paint on the fender.

I actually had to look it up myself after they told me this a couple weeks ago. Evidently, there are many variables to getting the paint to look the same across the entire car. The Harmonization Process (you can actually google it) is impacted by any number of things, what the surface being painted is (metal, plastic, etc), environmental conditions, curing process, timing of application of different paint components, etc. The paint surface is electronically scanned to make sure that each surface is within a certain tolerance. In its' simplest form, it is paint matching.

I actually had to look it up myself after they told me this a couple weeks ago. Evidently, there are many variables to getting the paint to look the same across the entire car. The Harmonization Process (you can actually google it) is impacted by any number of things, what the surface being painted is (metal, plastic, etc), environmental conditions, curing process, timing of application of different paint components, etc. The paint surface is electronically scanned to make sure that each surface is within a certain tolerance. In its' simplest form, it is paint matching.
Got it! That probably explains why the color of the charging plate cover of my Zenith Red looks more cherry red than the black cherry of the rest of the car. I think that cover is plastic, which is different from the body. Pretty evident in direct sunlight.

Yes, I am back, had to exercise the 24 hour rule on my part, and also wanted to get my update call yesterday. The grey paint issue has NOTHING to do with supply chain if anything that Lucid has recently told me is true. They stated that fact outright, "the grey paint issue has NOTHING to do with supply chain". It all has to do with the Harmonization Process. It is complicated and I am not taking anything away from that. They obviously think they are close to resolving the issue as I continue to get an estimate of "mid to late April for a VIN, maybe first week of May".

How about you using the 72 hour rule?

Fine, 72+ hour rule it is.

We are all fine with making excuses for Lucid and putting words into their mouths that directly contradict what they are actually saying.

I respectfully disagree. I’m willing to bet my car that the domino effect of supply chain issues has reached the paint house. It’s not hard to connect the dots from those dominos. Postmortem, more of the facts will come out and somewhere in the middle will lay the truth. To say there isn’t a domino effect with the supply crunch is irrational! I’m sure there is engineering negligence as well but the blame is not all in one camp or the other
And I’ll respectively disagree that the lack of Grey car deliveries is due to supply chain problems. Again, I’ll state that those of you with cars are out of the loop and have no concept of what is happening since you are no longer at that stage. Those of us with Grey cars on order are all being told that this is not a supply chain issue but a factory problem. Not sure why I am constantly told by Dream (or red, black, white GT) owners that this is supply chain driven. It is no longer glass and carpets which affected the Dreams and Santa Cruz interiors, but has now shifted to factory issues.

I'm guessing getting the paint on the bumper to match the paint on the fender.
Yup. Exactly. Doors, trunk, body, etc don’t match in color.

Got it! That probably explains why the color of the charging plate cover of my Zenith Red looks more cherry red than the black cherry of the rest of the car. I think that cover is plastic, which is different from the body. Pretty evident in direct sunlight.
Remember, they had issues with red Dreams and moved them all to the end, all while telling customers that paint would not affect delivery schedules (which is my biggest frustration). Presumably, they corrected the harmonization problems with red (perhaps not completely with your red. Maybe contact the service center to correct if it is an issue?) and are pumping them out. Grey is now the issue. Lucid should have known that every new color will go through this problem and have let customers know back in November when we confirmed (again, my frustration). They finally did with silver, which they have not even started yet because they have their hands full on the Grey.

OK, violating the 72+ hour rule @stevelitchfieldpark wants to me to play under. While the lack of grey cars is not a supply chain issue per se, we could see a delay in all cars due to supply chain issues, but as long as they are shipping GT's at all, there does not appear to be a supply chain issue. Those are two separate issues at this point.

What I have feared from the start of this grey/silver issue is that they solve their problems with respect to paint harmonization only to be further bogged down by supply chain/parts quality problems, in essence, they used up their available parts on red, black and white cars before they were able to start grey. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, no sense discussing a problem that isn't a problem...yet.

Lucid is a startup. Anything and everything can happen. If this isn't a good match for your situation and needs, there are other choices.

If this isn't a good match for your situation and needs, there are other choices
hmmm. Not really.
Due to this car replacing the ICE we use for trips, the first requirement has always been (for years) 500 miles to 1000 km range, which is why I ordered the GT. If you know of something that meets that first requirement, then shoot me a message. I’ll definitely consider it. Been looking, but nothing has shown up to date.

hmmm. Not really.
Due to this car replacing the ICE we use for trips, the first requirement has always been (for years) 500 miles to 1000 km range, which is why I ordered the GT. If you know of something that meets that first requirement, then shoot me a message. I’ll definitely consider it. Been looking, but nothing has shown up to date.
The Air's real usable range appears to be about 350 miles, so it'll need one charging stop on a 500 mile trip. For two charging stops, you could drive a Taycan, or look ahead to the 2023 e-tron, which will be revised for greater range. Another possibility is a plug-in hybrid luxury car with a decent electric range for in-town use and good gas mileage for long trips. I considered a 2023 Volvo XC60 plug-in hybrid, which has 500 miles combined range and 35 on battery, 400+hp and 4.5 seconds 0-60, as a reasonable and comfortable road-trip alternative to a $140K sedan. It would remove all charging anxiety but still be an EV for most in-town use.

Last edited:
The Air's real usable range appears to be about 350 miles, so it'll need one charging stop on a 500 mile trip. For two charging stops, you could drive a Taycan, or look ahead to the 2023 e-tron, which will be revised for greater range. Another possibility is a plug-in hybrid luxury car with a decent electric range for in-town use and good gas mileage for long trips. I considered a 2023 Volvo XC60 plug-in hybrid, which has 500 miles combined range and 35 on battery, 400+hp and 4.5 seconds 0-60, as a reasonable and comfortable road-trip alternative to a $140K sedan. It would remove all charging anxiety but still be an EV for most in-town use.
Thanks. Again, none reaches the 500 mile/1000 km. (because as you say, the useable range is less and will be for all). And I don't want a hybrid or plug-in hybrid. Don't want the gasoline engine any more with the maintenance of it. I am always keeping my eye open. Will the 2023 e-tron make it to 500 (edit: EPA) miles?

Last edited:
Real world 500 mile range is years away. 500 real world would need to be 600 plus EPA stated range

....Don't want the gasoline engine any more with the maintenance of it. I am always keeping my eye open. Will the 2023 e-tron make it to 500 miles?
I feel the same about gasoline and range and so am willing to make some accommodative compromises with the Air and with Lucid as a company. I doubt the 2023 e-tron will go much further than about 300 miles. My guess as a career electrical engineer is that getting to a usable 500 mile freeway range will require the next advance in battery chemistry, a step change, to see production. This has been years away from reality for a decade or so. Here it is again - coming just six years from now: https://www.engadget.com/nissan-solid-state-battery-ev-release-date-182025167.html

Last edited:
Back