• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Lucid Party @ Gravity Reveal-LA AutoShow November, 2023?

At 80 mph?
If you get smaller wheel package from Gravity and if you have aero covers, I definitely think it'll do better than 3.0 at 80 mph

Also according to @hmp10 , I don't know that much about battery chemistry, but the samsung cells are better than the LG cells, keep in mind that the Dream Edition vehicles have all hit 500+ in real world range tests which is higher than the AGT LG chemistry. So if the Gravity has the better chemistry, that's another reason to get higher efficiency and higher numbers

Another note, another member posted a picture of a phone with the battery percentage and estimated range left on the Gravity, based on their 440 estimation, the numbers don't add up. I think the Gravity may have been done at a more accurate EPA measurement instead of how they did it with the AIR, I think the range estimation will show closer to 480-490 whereas real world will be 440, another reason to believe it can do very well

However, this thread will not be complete without @MoniputerLM s opinion... what do you think? Is it a real SUV?
I do like it and I think that it will compete with the Lincoln Aviator and seems much better than the Mercedes EV SUVs. However, it's not a full-size SUV like the Rivian R1S, EV Escalade or the future EV Navigator. Now that's not a bad thing because full size SUVs are in a smaller market, I think.

It might be too small for my taste BUT I want to see one. I won't be ordering another Dream Edition, sight unseen!

IF Lucid can execute on quantity, quality and especially software then I think the Gravity should do well.

As always, JMHO. 😇

With a 120 kWh pack, they're expecting 3.67 mi/kWh to get to 440 miles EPA (when that test is actually done). In the real world, guessing ~70% of that or closer to 2.6 mil/kWh, and about 300 miles of real range.

Expecting that it will still be the best real world range available in an SUV that size, but they have to play the stupid range marketing game or risk looking unfairly worse.

If you get smaller wheel package from Gravity and if you have aero covers, I definitely think it'll do better than 3.0 at 80 mph

Also according to @hmp10 , I don't know that much about battery chemistry, but the samsung cells are better than the LG cells, keep in mind that the Dream Edition vehicles have all hit 500+ in real world range tests which is higher than the AGT LG chemistry. So if the Gravity has the better chemistry, that's another reason to get higher efficiency and higher numbers

Another note, another member posted a picture of a phone with the battery percentage and estimated range left on the Gravity, based on their 440 estimation, the numbers don't add up. I think the Gravity may have been done at a more accurate EPA measurement instead of how they did it with the AIR, I think the range estimation will show closer to 480-490 whereas real world will be 440, another reason to believe it can do very well

I am definitely skeptical that a vehicle that large can achieve that level of efficiency. What do you get at 80 mph?

With a 120 kWh pack, they're expecting 3.67 mi/kWh to get to 440 miles EPA (when that test is actually done). In the real world, guessing ~70% of that or closer to 2.6 mil/kWh, and about 300 miles of real range.

Expecting that it will still be the best real world range available in an SUV that size, but they have to play the stupid range marketing game or risk looking unfairly worse.
I agree. 2.6.seems much more likely.

That is probably with the smallest 20 inch wheels, aero covers, and optional air suspension set to lowest setting.

It seems Samsung is really on the move with larger form factor batteries for EVs. As the Gravity will use Samsung batteries, this might explain why Lucid is talking about a 120-kWh pack that weighs less:

I can’t do a sustained 80mph around the NY area without getting a ticket.
I lived in NY for 30 years (& had the dents to prove it). Maybe you could do 80mph from 3:01am to 3:02 am on the FDR ? No other time, & NEVER, EVER on the Cross Bronx 😂 😂😂

My biggest worry is they are showing the same roof racks as the Air, which are a disaster. We need the roof racks for carrying skis. They better have a good solution by launch.
I talked to them about it today. They will.

Odd it says the frunk is 8ft^3 versus the Air's frunk is 10 ft^3.
With 3 rows, and 119.5" wheelbase, only 3" more than the Air, that extra 3rd row space had to come from somewhere. I'd bet that the extra 2ft of Frunk depth was used to push the Motor and/or other Drive Unit components to right below the Frunk. All I can say is that Lucid are masters of packaging. Other EV companies can learn a lot from them.

With 3 rows, and 119.5" wheelbase, only 3" more than the Air, that extra 3rd row space had to come from somewhere. I'd bet that the extra 2ft of Frunk depth was used to push the Motor and/or other Drive Unit components to right below the Frunk. All I can say is that Lucid are masters of packaging. Other EV companies can learn a lot from them.
Actually, based off of what they showed at the reveal(saw it at the video) and the cutaway, that's exactly right.

I agree. 2.6.seems much more likely.
1BC86C01-8AA8-4148-BEDC-A51991A27906.png

Lucid has challenge to beat R1S range. But at 120kW, it can do it to match R1S 150kW. I don’t like the “dumb range” (refer to GM or Rivian) or “Tesla Killer” reference. I think that kind of marketing can really backfire. If you are strong, people will know thru words of mouth. Those Throttle House’s “Tesla Killer” campaign basically incite Musketeers simp to do counterstrike Lucid bankruptcy FUD.

Stay humble, keep on trucking like RJ Scaringe. Rivian doesn’t attack others, yet, their growth rate trump Tesla first 8 quarter since each of flagship debut.

Just stay humble in this macro environment.

Actually, the Gravity wheelbase is 1.4" longer than the wheelbase of our Honda Odyssey which, even with its internal combustion engine, has plenty of room for three spacious rows. The trunk of the Air is extraordinarily long. By turning the rear cargo space into a more vertical orientation in the Gravity, a good bit of that trunk length was used to create space for the third row.

I notice that the Gravity has abandoned the dark/light split the Air uses between the front and back seats, one of my favorite interior features of the Air. The brown interior in the Gravity photos is the Tahoe, so I assume it has the same orange bias as in the Air. It's not clear if the Yosemite interior in the photos leans more gray or beige, but if it's close to the Santa Monica rear seats in our Air Dream, it will be gorgeous -- if a bit light for some SUV uses.

Yosemite is slightly lighter than Santa Monica, very beige. Tahoe is the same.

I understand that the Gravity will have a lot of carryover software from the Air with the teething pains already resolved. However, I'm sure there will be new features and new interfaces with hardware as well.

Actually, no - the software is rewritten from scratch, and the car was redesigned from a napkin. I was extremely impressed. I can’t say much more, but suffice it to say that the Airs all use a chipset from “when the car was designed” aka >5 years before the first delivery. The sapphire has an updated chip.

The gravity is brand new, and has way more capabilities thanks to a whole new hardware and software subsystem, but I can’t say anything else.

Here are a bunch of photos I took today: https://share.icloud.com/photos/002peO_BpP_PWlyMupZdWUIow

You’ll spy a few shots of @LucidDropkick sitting in the 2nd and 3rd rows

Doesn't this suggest 484 mi of range?
Maybe they did a different epa test to get more accurate results to not be so far off for consumers?

For the 440 usable miles number
Exactly what I was thinking. 100% extrapolates to ~484 miles.
Although, I won't be surprised if they make a variant with just above 500 miles, under the perfect test conditions (with a few more cells added). Lucid takes pride in numbers above "500".

Actually, no - the software is rewritten from scratch, and the car was redesigned from a napkin. I was extremely impressed. I can’t say much more, but suffice it to say that the Airs all use a chipset from “when the car was designed” aka >5 years before the first delivery. The sapphire has an updated chip.

The gravity is brand new, and has way more capabilities thanks to a whole new hardware and software subsystem, but I can’t say anything else.

Here are a bunch of photos I took today: https://share.icloud.com/photos/002peO_BpP_PWlyMupZdWUIow

Wait, give more detail about the napkin!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Back