Lucid Party @ Gravity Reveal-LA AutoShow November, 2023?

Oh, so THAT was why... although I doubt the people who can afford a gravity qualify for credits.
So true... Anything to helps sales. I'm all for. Case in point, people go nuts when there's a "sales tax free" sale and don't care much when there's a 15% off sale.

So it looks like if you're 6'3 or over, the back row isn't as comfortable for long road trips, but he did mention it's more spacious than anyone else including R1S.
So super tall people should probably get the passenger or 2nd row, and average height or less than 6'2 can probably be comfortable in the 3rd row.

I think starting at 80k means that the cheapest model will be less than 80k. From the ThrottleHouse video, I think the Dream Edition will be more
That will almost certainly be the case. Go in and try to price out any other vehicle, including Tesla, and there's always a starting price, but then the various options drive it up. Not dissimilar from the current Air lineup, where a Pure can be had for ~$75k but then there are trims all the way up to Sapphire trim.

Regardless, I really like the look of the Gravity and the specs they've put out there and will certainly be putting in reservation when they open it up. Can't wait to see and drive one in-person in the coming months at either Dallas or Houston!

So it looks like if you're 6'3 or over, the back row isn't as comfortable for long road trips, but he did mention it's more spacious than anyone else including R1S.
So super tall people should probably get the passenger or 2nd row, and average height or less than 6'2 can probably be comfortable in the 3rd row.
@hmp10 thoughts?

That is with 2nd row all the way back, and there is good 2nd row space that could be moved forward..

The Car and Driver review said it will delivered with UX 3.0. Hopefully they won't wait for the first gravities to release it

Okay, my head is spinning from trying to absorb details of the Gravity.

First, to compare it to my personal benchmark for carrying 6 passengers, our Honda Odyssey:

The Gravity is 4.4 inches lower, virtually the same width, 7 inches shorter . . . and with a 1.4 inch longer wheelbase. By all appearances, it's interior room in all three rows will at least match the Honda's and preserve the headroom despite the lower overall height.

As for power, I was hoping the Gravity Dream Edition would duplicate the figures of our Air Dream Performance. I will miss that extra 300+ of peak horsepower.

The Lucid website contains some ambiguities that I hope get cleared up soon:

Its press release says, "Lucid introduces Zero Gravity, an enhanced optional air suspension package . . . ." Does this means there will be a base coil spring suspension package similar to the excellent one in the Air, or will the base suspension be air with an enhanced air option?

Its press release also says, "The Gravity SUV is not just efficient; it sets new standards for SUVs with a smaller, lighter, more sustainable battery pack." Does that mean a lighter pack than in the Airs or a lighter pack than in other EV SUVs? We know the 120 kWh Gravity pack will be neither the 112- nor the 118-kWh pack in the Airs, we know Lucid is sourcing the Gravity batteries from Samsung, and we know Samsung is working on a 4680 form factor cell. Will the Gravity have these new Samsung cells a year from now, with increased energy density that will reduce pack weight?

The early mentions of 5, 6, and 7 passenger seating have disappeared, with mentions now only of 7 passengers. Are second-row captains chairs out of the picture or an option coming later?

I notice that the Gravity hood no longer has the air vents that help cool the headlights in the Air. Is the Gravity using a different kind of headlight?

The Gravity doors now have frameless glass. I wonder why, as framed glass such as in the Air usually provides better sound insulation.

Guessing with the <$80k starting price, they are targeting those cross shopping a base Cayenne, which also starts just under $80k, and for that price will assuredly be far worse equipped than the Gravity Pure.

Okay, my head is spinning from trying to absorb details of the Gravity.

First, to compare it to my personal benchmark for carrying 6 passengers, our Honda Odyssey:

The Gravity is 4.4 inches lower, virtually the same width, 7 inches shorter . . . and with a 1.4 inch longer wheelbase. By all appearances, it's interior room in all three rows will at least match the Honda's and preserve the headroom despite the lower overall height.

As for power, I was hoping the Gravity Dream Edition would duplicate the figures of our Air Dream Performance. I will miss that extra 300+ of peak horsepower.

The Lucid website contains some ambiguities that I hope get cleared up soon:

Its press release says, "Lucid introduces Zero Gravity, an enhanced optional air suspension package . . . ." Does this means there will be a base coil spring suspension package similar to the excellent one in the Air, or will the base suspension be air with an enhanced air option?

Its press release also says, "The Gravity SUV is not just efficient; it sets new standards for SUVs with a smaller, lighter, more sustainable battery pack." Does that mean a lighter pack than in the Airs or a lighter pack than in other EV SUVs? We know the 120 kWh Gravity pack will be neither the 112- nor the 118-kWh pack in the Airs, we know Lucid is sourcing the Gravity batteries from Samsung, and we know Samsung is working on a 4680 form factor cell. Will the Gravity have these new Samsung cells a year from now, with increased energy density that will reduce pack weight?

The early mentions of 5, 6, and 7 passenger seating have disappeared, with mentions now only of 7 passengers. Are second-row captains chairs out of the picture or an option coming later?

I notice that the Gravity hood no longer has the air vents that help cool the headlights in the Air. Is the Gravity using a different kind of headlight?

The Gravity doors now have frameless glass. I wonder why, as framed glass such as in the Air usually provides better sound insulation.
The only question of yours I can answer with a fact is the passenger rating. Some people state 5 passenger, but I feel they just said that because it was stated before. There has been no official confirmation of any of these questions.

I asked the same thing about frameless glass, but others questioned me and said you could make the a pillars thicker. I was also worried about this and still am.

Guessing with the <$80k starting price, they are targeting those cross shopping a base Cayenne, which also starts just under $80k, and for that price will assuredly be far worse equipped than the Gravity Pure.
The pure Air is actually comparably barebones, so I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Marques answered a few questions, smaller wheels will mean better range.
Also he did say that for him, being as tall as he is, the comfort in 3rd row is not super comfortable. But for an average adult, he said they would be comfortable. And as @xponents said, you can move the 2nd row forward quite a bit, and the captain chairs will be optionable.

I believe ThrottleHouse said the battery is similar, they also said that the air suspension feels in-line with the Air, so they dialed it in very well

Marques also said that the Trunk will be powered in the release

Also the HUD will be a great addition

Last edited:
120 kWh x 3.0 mi/kWh 360 miles of range on the highway. Assuming you can really get an efficency that high at highway speeds, and assuming you really can use all 120 kWh. Big assumptions.

The R1S Max Pack: 142 kWh x 2.4 = 341 miles of highway range.

I have a feeling the Gravity will have highway range that is very similar to the R1S.

120 kWh x 3.0 mi/kWh 360 miles of range on the highway. Assuming you can really get an efficency that high at highway speeds, and assuming you really can use all 120 kWh. Big assumptions.

I have a feeling the Gravity will have highway range that is very similar to the R1S.
The R1S drag coefficient is around 0.28-0.3

My thoughts of the very visible vents are for aesthetics. Technology should be advanced enough to hide the vents.

Luxury cars prefer frameless because they think the frame is ugly.

I prefer a framed glass. More sturdy, less wind noise.

The only question of yours I can answer with a fact is the passenger rating. Some people state 5 passenger, but I feel they just said that because it was stated before. There has been no official confirmation of any of these questions.

I asked the same thing about frameless glass, but others questioned me and said you could make the a pillars thicker. I was also worried about this and still am.
My i4 with frameless glass is exceptionally quiet. In fact not a big difference in quietness between my i4 and Air. The i4 can be quieter at low speeds because of an absence of motor whine, but the Air is probably a bit quieter at high speeds. Either way frameless glass can be engineered to be quite quiet.

@hmp10 thoughts?

That is with 2nd row all the way back, and there is good 2nd row space that could be moved forward..

Hard to tell from these videos. Both Brownlee and the Kelly Blue Book reviewer said the third row would not be comfortable for adults on long trips. Yet the Throttle House boys put a 6'6" staffer in the third row and claimed he had plenty of room (although I'm assuming the second row seat was pulled well forward).

Over the years I have found descriptions of rear seat room and comfort have been among the most misleading aspects of reviewer reports on cars. Early reviewers of the Model S gushed over its palatial rear quarters, which I and most passengers have always found cramped. Just over a year ago, one reviewer actually said the updated Tesla Model S rear seat had more legroom than the Lucid Air, despite my own measurements of those two cars (both of which I own) showing the Lucid had a full 9.5" more fore/aft legroom than the Tesla with a virtually identical vertical drop.

So, basically, I won't know until a Gravity shows up at a Design Studio.

I like:

.the permanently attached pilot screen. The motorized screen is bothersome. My dogs have already scratched the screen.

.the hatchback.

.The deletion of the 2 recoiling half-way rollers on the steering wheel: Too challenging to adjust to an exact speed, and volume (need to roll up and hold at exact microseconds to get the desired setting but my timing is always off). The best is the volume true-roller (unlike fake rollers on the steering wheel). So easy, so precise, so quick!

Huh? Of course you can get efficiency that high at highway speeds. I do it all the time in my Air, and much higher than 3.0. With their new motors and expertise in efficiency, I see no reason why the Gravity won’t do over 3.0 at highway speeds…despite having a somewhat lower COD.

Hard to tell from these videos. Both Brownlee and the Kelly Blue Book reviewer said the third row would not be comfortable for adults on long trips. Yet the Throttle House boys put a 6'6" staffer in the third row and claimed he had plenty of room (although I'm assuming the second row seat was pulled well forward).

Over the years I have found descriptions of rear seat room and comfort have been among the most misleading aspects of reviewer reports on cars. Early reviewers of the Model S gushed over its palatial rear quarters, which I and most passengers have always found cramped. Just over a year ago, one reviewer actually said the updated Tesla Model S rear seat had more legroom than the Lucid Air, despite my own measurements of those two cars (both of which I own) showing the Lucid had a full 9.5" more fore/aft legroom than the Tesla with a virtually identical vertical drop.

So, basically, I won't know until a Gravity shows up at a Design Studio.
This is another review from cars.com and comments on the 3rd row

Huh? Of course you can get efficiency that high at highway speeds. I do it all the time in my Air, and much higher than 3.0. With their new motors and expertise in efficiency, I see no reason why the Gravity won’t do over 3.0 at highway speeds…despite having a somewhat lower COD.
At 80 mph?

Back