Lucid needs to market and grab disenchanted Model S owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whidbilly99

Reaction score
Cars
Tesla Model S
I’m a 2023 Model S owner ready to loose bucks and jump into a Lucid Pure or 22 GT.
Lucid does not take trade ins?
No test drive of Lucid in Washington State.
Lucid does not offer the Tesla Conquest discount?
I’m in Vegas , the Model S autopilot almost killed us on the highway at full phantom brake!
I could just swing by Irvine and drive a Lucid
Home…..1300 miles of smiles.

It'll be a much nicer drive home!

i’m not sure how many disenchanted Tesla orders there are.

Having built itself a loyal (some will say cult-like) fanbase over the past decade and a half, Tesla now has the highest retention rate in the automotive industry, estimated to be at a sky-high 87%. High retention is a goal that most automakers spend their days chasing. lucid is the better car overall, but each company is going to build a fan base of loyalist this may start with the gravity for Lucid.

And that fanbase will falter with them loosing their core focus of building the best electric cars and their CEO acting in ways that angers at least 50% of the US voters and probably around 80% of the citizens of European countries.

My company has a fleet of 11 teslas and our CEO has decided to stop buying teslas. After extensive evaluation of all the different Tesla competitors we have now ordered our first Lucid Air this week.

i’m not sure how many disenchanted Tesla orders there are.

Having built itself a loyal (some will say cult-like) fanbase over the past decade and a half, Tesla now has the highest retention rate in the automotive industry, estimated to be at a sky-high 87%. High retention is a goal that most automakers spend their days chasing. lucid is the better car overall, but each company is going to build a fan base of loyalist this may start with the gravity for Lucid.
I totally agree, Tesla gives a lot of focus to creating loyal fans as customers . Tesla is a pioneer for EV’s. The Supercharger network
Is a necessity. Tesla is unsurpassed at building an EV that is also profitable. But Tesla is no longer in a singular market and does not currently have the best tech, design and safety features

I don’t think anybody buys a car or doesn’t buy because of a CEO...
I've spoken with many neighbors who say they would not consider a Tesla because of the CEO. I feel the same. Some fraction, at least, has already ruled him out.

^^^^^
So in regards to that, do you think some people will not buy a lucid because of who the ownership group is? JMO
I could care less

I don’t think anybody buys a car or doesn’t buy because of a CEO. He’s been controversial for the last eight years. The left used to love him / now the right loves him.
It doesn’t matter if you have a good product/good price point value buyers will purchase.
It’s like saying people won’t buy a lucid because of owner base. A good product is a good product and most people don’t really care.
Plenty of people, myself included, won’t buy a Tesla because of the CEO. Actually has nothing to do with his politics, but the very fact that he is not there. He has left Tesla behind, they are floundering, and he is gallivanting about X and Trump.

That’s why I won’t buy a Tesla. There is no leader at the helm, and they have entirely stopped innovating.

^^^^^
So in regards to that, do you think some people will not buy a lucid because of who the ownership group is? JMO
I could care less
Yes. There are also some who won’t buy Lucid because it is backed by PIF. That number is much smaller, however, than the significant decrease in sales for Tesla because the PIF and Peter is focused on Lucid, and Elon is *not* focused on Tesla.

It’s not just politics.

I don’t think anybody buys a car or doesn’t buy because of a CEO. He’s been controversial for the last eight years. The left used to love him / now the right loves him.
It doesn’t matter if you have a good product/good price point value buyers will purchase.
It’s like saying people won’t buy a lucid because of owner base. A good product is a good product and most people don’t really care.

I personally did not buy a Tesla and never will because of the CEO. I almost pushed the button for an S several years back and opted out, because of one of his unhinged rants. I am so glad I opted out; that is why I have a Lucid instead. I know many who feel the same.

This post is eerily timely.

Yesterday I pulled into my office's parking lot, which has a few EV Level 2 chargers that are free to use for employees. Upon parking at an EV spot, as per usual, I popped open the frunk lid (to retrieve my briefcase) and charger door from inside, got out, and was in the process of hooking up the charger when out of the corner of my eye I saw someone approaching me from the other side of the parking lot. I turned and saw a sweet older lady who had to have been well into her 70s, trotting towards me with a noticeable pep in her step. Despite her age, she moved with the energy of a puppy, which wasn't all that surprising given that here in Colorado, we have tons of elderly people that remain quite spry due to our outdoor culture; the Merrill trail runners she was wearing on her feet, supported this.

"Is that a Lucid?!" she exclaimed, loud enough for other people in the parking lot to turn and look over at us. "Sure is" I responded, surprised that she knew what it was. She was quite excited to see it, explaining that she has had a Model S for many years and while she loved it, began to tire of having to explain to friends that she was not an Elon Musk fan. She went on to describe a few situations in the past where she had to defend herself to friends and family that assumed she had similar political/social views of Elon, and that the thought of driving a Tesla was beginning to make her "skin crawl". I laughed, and expressed my agreement with her, saying that I wouldn't own a Tesla if I was given one for free for all the reasons she stated and more, including their legendarily poor build quality and customer service.

Of course, I opened the Air up and invited her to climb into the interior, which she excitedly accepted - I really got a kick out of that too, since most people tend to decline, at least the first invite, as a matter of politeness. Not this lady, though - she hopped in almost before I could finish getting the words out. She sat in every seat of the Air, touched every switch, flicked the steering wheel knobs, raised and lowered the pilot panel, slid the center console door back and forth, etc. I showed her the frunk and trunk, lifted up the false floor highlighting the space and she just marveled at the cargo capacity. "I could fit a lot of Alpo in there!", she blurted. I grinned in amusement watching this elderly woman soak in the Air's interior with the focused joy and curiosity of a toddler playing with an object they'd never seen before.

As she felt every surface and interacted with every switch and button, she "ooh-ed" and "aah-ed", reveling in the quality. "My Tesla definitely doesn't feel this nice!", she said as she was about to get out from the passenger seat. I told her that was a major reason why a Tesla was never in the cards for me since I'm a bit of a stickler for the finer details in cars, being a gearhead and all.

I then offered to take her for a spin and her eyes immediately sparkled. "Wait, let me get in the back seat - that's where my family would be if I bought one of these. I want to feel it from their perspective". She lept into the seat behind the driver seat and immediately marveled at the space. "Is your seat all the way up?! I can't touch the back of your seat!" she laughed as she leaned forward, trying to touch the front seat back with her hands and fingers stretched. "Nope, this is set to how I always drive", I replied. "Wow, you're HUGE, too! I can't believe I have this much space!" While I'm a bigger guy at over 6" 2' and with a bodybuilder frame, I'm certainly not huge (George Foreman is HUGE. An NFL O-Line player is HUGE. I'm not.), but she was a very petite woman. I just laughed and away we went.

I took the normal drive around the office park, which consists of the typical roads in such places: concrete divided streets, boulevards with speed limits around 45mph, gentle, meandering curves, office park cul de sacs, and the like. Matching her enthusiasm, I drove the Air in a spirited manner (as one does) and it was just what the doctor ordered; she squealed with glee with every g-force induced turn and poke at the accelerator pedal. I got onto the highway and cruised a bit at 95mph, which is very easy to do in my neck of the woods as most traffic is traveling at 85 on our 75mph highways. "How fast do you think we're going?" I asked her. "Oh, about 70, I'd say". "Really, why don't you have a look", I told her. In the rear view mirror, I saw her lean over, squint, and then her eyebrows raised. "Wow, this is a really quiet car! I had no idea! My Tesla sounds like a barn in a tornado on the highway". I could barely stifle my laughter as I headed back to the office.

Upon getting out, she thanked me for taking the time and I expressed my pleasure at being able to show off my car to someone who was truly an enthusiast. Notably, she said that while she was wanting to get out of a Tesla because of Elon, after being in the Lucid, she now knew "what [she'd] been missing out on", remarking that the build quality and refinement was "no comparison". She asked me where she could get more info on the Air and I directed her to the Cherry Creek Mall location of the Denver Lucid showroom and told her to speak to Danny, my sales consultant. She beamed and skipped away to her white Model S on the other side of the parking lot.

The whole situation left me tickled all day, not just because of the Lucid enthusiasm, but because the woman was such a fun little firecracker of a person. Zoomed out a bit, however, I couldn't help but remark that the whole situation reminded me of the types of buyers that Tesla has, and that many of them are the forward-thinking, progressive types of people who originally bought a Tesla for its technology and environmental friendliness. As Elon has "gone down the rabbit hole and wearing tin foil hats" (her words), Tesla buyers like this are feeling alienated and even attacked in their social circles which has some - like this lady - wanting to rid themselves of their connection to the brand.

^^^^^
I could care less
Hardware engineering was my deciding factor to get the Lucid Air. It's something tangible I can see, touch and experience.
Yep, Engineering in the Lucid is obvious and compelling compared to Tesla. Many of Tesla touted features are more a gimmick not always functional. Think stalkless signals/gears.
Also
Tesla takes out all radar and wants you to think 8 camers capture the true environment.
An Engineer says give me all the cameras, sensors and radar you can to have the safest
ADAS. Lucid DDP has 32….
When your car slams on the brakes at over
70 mph … for no reason….I have less confidence in that engineering.

Nonsense.

Every car I've ever owned had its own enthusiast base and within that group, there is always a sizable portion (sometimes a majority, sometimes a minority, but always present) that wouldn't have even considered a rival product because of the owner base. Right off the top of my head:
  • BMW 3 series vs. Infiniti G35/G37 vs. Mustang/Camaro drivers;
  • Corvette vs. Porsche 911/Cayman/Boxster owners;
  • Jeep Wrangler vs. Toyota 4Runner/Taco owners;
  • Land Rover vs. Land Cruiser owners;
  • WRX/STi/EVO vs. Mustang/Camaro owners
To be sure, despite these vehicles sharing many of the same capabilities within their respective markets, there are plenty of people that made their purchasing decisions by omission; namely, they omitted a brand or vehicle simply because it wasn't "who they were". Inevitably, when asked why someone didn't purchase a [insert car] instead of what they have, they'll eventually say something that has nothing to do with the car itself, but the owner base.

After the 2008 recession and GM and Chrysler bailouts, I knew tons of people that swore off Silverados and Rams because they were "welfare recipients". This had nothing to do with the quality of the product, but everything to do with the brand image and the negative perceived image of being a prospective buyer of such cars. I had family members that served in WWII that wouldn't buy a "Jap" or "Kraut" car because of the obvious negative connotations. Again, nothing to do with the core characteristics of the cars themselves, but everything to do with the origin and ownership of those companies.

Hell, I'm big enough of a man to admit this myself. In my youth, I didn't consider the G35 coupe when shopping for a sporty compact coupe because the vape-smoking, Black-Ice-Air-Freshener-smelling, 22-year-old-with-his-first-real-car-despite-being-delinquent-on-child-support-payments with trashy, Olde English font tattoos vibe was just too strong for me. Similarly, I've known many people that would've liked a Camaro or Challenger, but didn't like the hillbilly, mullet stigma that is so pervasive. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I'd really love a [specific car], but I just can't see myself driving one because I'm not a "[specific car] guy", you know? Sad? Maybe. But true, nonetheless.

This is a key principle that product planners and marketers understand well. It's not just about the product itself, it's about getting the consumer to see themselves as the type of person who buys that particular product. That's why luxury car manufactures spend billions a year on advertising their cars a very particular way. Their ads are carefully crafted to present the driver of their car to look and sound a particular way, to live in a particular neighborhood, to be surrounded by similar looking people, and all of it to be set to the type of music their protective buyer enjoys most. In other words, it's about presenting the car to be the choice of a person belonging to a very specific, inevitably desirable group. Marketing a car is all about developing a very particular owner base. Doing so makes it easier for a prospective buyer to choose a product in a market that may not have very noticeable product differences otherwise.

Like it or not, vehicles present a message about you to society. The vast majority of people are aware of this and consciously or subconsciously consider this when buying a car, just like pretty much any other consumer good. Sadly, we do live in a civilization where consumerism is the name of the game and a big part of that game is melding a consumer good to one's identity.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Tesla because of Elon himself. I can afford to buy anything he sells and despite liking the whole "Plaid" product implementation, that's far outweighed by the man himself, the poor manufacturing and engineering of the cars themselves, and finally, yes, the cult-like mouth weirdos that support the brand. And, I know I'm not the only person who has sworn off Tesla for exactly these reasons. This is a common refrain from all sorts of buyers on many other enthusiast forums.

Most definitely the number one reason to buy a car is engineering, tech and capability ( for one’s personal needs ) . That being said , when there are numerous competitors , and when there are first time EV adopters , things like the values of the company and its CEO can make a huge difference. I think Rivian is excelling not only because they make a great product but because they make you feel like part of a family ( as does Lucid ). I think Lucid will continue to succeed for the same reasons; fantastic product and leaders who value their customers.

Nonsense.

Every car I've ever owned had its own enthusiast base and within that group, there is always a sizable portion (sometimes a majority, sometimes a minority, but always present) that wouldn't have even considered a rival product because of the owner base. Right off the top of my head:
To be sure, despite these vehicles sharing many of the same capabilities within their respective markets, there are plenty of people that made their purchasing decisions by omission; namely, they omitted a brand or vehicle simply because it wasn't "who they were". Inevitably, when asked why someone didn't purchase a [insert car] instead of what they have, they'll eventually say something that has nothing to do with the car itself, but the owner base.

After the 2008 recession and GM and Chrysler bailouts, I knew tons of people that swore off Silverados and Rams because they were "welfare recipients". This had nothing to do with the quality of the product, but everything to do with the brand image and the negative perceived image of being a prospective buyer of such cars. I had family members that served in WWII that wouldn't buy a "Jap" or "Kraut" car because of the obvious negative connotations. Again, nothing to do with the core characteristics of the cars themselves, but everything to do with the origin and ownership of those companies.

Hell, I'm big enough of a man to admit this myself. In my youth, I didn't consider the G35 coupe when shopping for a sporty compact coupe because the vape-smoking, Black-Ice-Air-Freshener-smelling, 22-year-old-with-his-first-real-car-despite-being-delinquent-on-child-support-payments with trashy, Olde English font tattoos vibe was just too strong for me. Similarly, I've known many people that would've liked a Camaro or Challenger, but didn't like the hillbilly, mullet stigma that is so pervasive. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I'd really love a [specific car], but I just can't see myself driving one because I'm not a "[specific car] guy", you know? Sad? Maybe. But true, nonetheless.

This is a key principle that product planners and marketers understand well. It's not just about the product itself, it's about getting the consumer to see themselves as the type of person who buys that particular product. That's why luxury car manufactures spend billions a year on advertising their cars a very particular way. Their ads are carefully crafted to present the driver of their car to look and sound a particular way, to live in a particular neighborhood, to be surrounded by similar looking people, and all of it to be set to the type of music their protective buyer enjoys most. In other words, it's about presenting the car to be the choice of a person belonging to a very specific, inevitably desirable group. Marketing a car is all about developing a very particular owner base. Doing so makes it easier for a prospective buyer to choose a product in a market that may not have very noticeable product differences otherwise.

Like it or not, vehicles present a message about you to society. The vast majority of people are aware of this and consciously or subconsciously consider this when buying a car, just like pretty much any other consumer good. Sadly, we do live in a civilization where consumerism is the name of the game and a big part of that game is melding a consumer good to one's identity.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Tesla because of Elon himself. I can afford to buy anything he sells and despite liking the whole "Plaid" product implementation, that's far outweighed by the man himself, the poor manufacturing and engineering of the cars themselves, and finally, yes, the cult-like mouth weirdos that support the brand. And, I know I'm not the only person who has sworn off Tesla for exactly these reasons. This is a common refrain from all sorts of buyers on many other enthusiast forums.
Extremely well written, and spot on. My wife won’t buy a BMW because of the connotation (now they suck, but even when they didn’t). And she refused to look at the Mustang Mach-E simply because it had Mustang in the name.

People absolutely make choices based on how the brand represents them.

Yes. There are also some who won’t buy Lucid because it is backed by PIF. That number is much smaller, however, than the significant decrease in sales for Tesla because the PIF and Peter is focused on Lucid, and Elon is *not* focused on Tesla.

It’s not just political
a significant loss of sales?
  • 2023: $96.773 billion, an 18.8% increase from 2022
  • 2022: $81.462 billion, a 51.35% increase from 2021
  • 2021: $53.823 billion, a 70.67% increase from 2020
  • Sales: I see some variables, interest rates etc .. but nothing that amounts to significant
IMG_0837.webp

IMG_0838.webp

I personally did not buy a Tesla and never will because of the CEO. I almost pushed the button for an S several years back and opted out, because of one of his unhinged rants. I am so glad I opted out; that is why I have a Lucid instead. I know many who feel the same.
Sorry, I’m for free speech. As they say there are lots of people who flip flop in the world ( 😉 )
8 years ago only the left like Elon…. fast-forward … flip floppers who don’t. Neither myself or groups of friends I know pick a car to drive based on a CEO. We’re car guys at heart.

Yep, Engineering in the Lucid is obvious and compelling compared to Tesla. Many of Tesla touted features are more a gimmick not always functional. Think stalkless signals/gears.
Also
Tesla takes out all radar and wants you to think 8 camers capture the true environment.
An Engineer says give me all the cameras, sensors and radar you can to have the safest
ADAS. Lucid DDP has 32….
When your car slams on the brakes at over
70 mph … for no reason….I have less confidence in that engineering.
not sure why you quoted me in the response that wasn’t the question I ASKED

Nonsense.

congrats on your stance. It’s an opinion others might disagree with you. You don’t think there’s cult weirdos for every brand Chevy /Mustang Ferrari /Lamborghini but you decide to call out Tesla and their owners. Thanks for the laugh. let’s keep it real here.
As Tesla/Lucid owner these posts have very much a CERTAIN ring to them. Just sayin’

Last edited:
Typically I don’t care who the CEO of a company is. However Elon is larger than life figure and it is hard to disassociate Tesla from him. I will not buy a Tesla as long as Elon is around. I had a Model Y for nearly 4 years. I don’t drive much and did not even need it but I bought it as it was the best EV available at that time. I did not consider Model S. It was much more expensive to lease and inferior build quality. If you go to rivian forum you will numerous Tesla owners who bought Rivian. Elon told his advertisers f you. His daily antics are a f you to the people who weee most likely to buy an EV. I have had my Lucid Air Pure for a month. My whole family loves it.

+1 from my end. My family didn’t want a Tesla precisely because of how unhinged Elon has become. It is not about his specific political view; it is just because of how unhinged and conspiracy-laden he has become and how he stopped focusing on Tesla. The icing on the cake was firing the entire supercharger team on a whim! I am not alone—I know many friends and coworkers who refuse to consider a Tesla.

I didn’t know much about Lucid. We were in the market for a Lucid or an i5. After test-driving the Air, my wife refused to test-drive the i5, and the kids agreed. I was happy to comply.

Since then, I have learned a lot more, especially from this forum. I didn’t know anything about Lucid’s engineering superiority and Peter’s amazing foresight, but since then, I have become someone who would watch every speech, interview, and video by Peter and continue to be amazed and excited. I have truly fallen for Lucid, and I have added many of my friends to the Lucid family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back