Lucid Motors’ second act will be an all-electric SUV called Gravity

Joe

Staff Member
Admin
5.jpg

Lucid Motors provided Wednesday a peek of the next vehicle in its all-electric lineup — an SUV called the Lucid Gravity.

The Lucid Gravity follows the Air, a luxury all-electric sedan that was revealed Wednesday in a live streamed event. The Gravity, which will have the same underlying vehicle platform as the Air, is already well into the design process. The company has a working prototype, which was spotted this summer out in the wild. Lucid Motors CEO and CTO Peter Rawlinson later confirmed the SUV’s existence. This is the first time the company has publicly shared photos of the SUV.

Not much is known about the SUV, although the photos released Wednesday provide a few hints of what is to come.

The Air and Gravity share a few design features, notably the outline of the trunk and single long taillight, features that Lucid’s vice president of design Derek Jenkins told TechCrunch in a recent interview would show up in future vehicles.

“The opening of the trunk is on sides of the vehicle and so that allows this super clean rear end, and a single piece taillight, which I think is very distinctive,” said Jenkins describing the Air. At the time, Jenkins noted that future vehicles would likely have same the long light blade that can be seen on the Air. Photos of the SUV don’t show the front, leaving that feature a mystery for now.

The photos also show a rooftop storage unit, suggesting that Lucid is creating a line up of accessories to go with its electric vehicles.

While Lucid hasn’t disclosed when the SUV would come to market, Rawlinson has said the company’s next vehicle would go into production in 2023.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5-1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/09/l...t-will-be-an-all-electric-suv-called-gravity/

I’m intrigued. I like what I know of the Rivian, but Lucid has my ear

Edit:
Perhaps it’s due to knowing so much about the Air, but I think the Gravity impressed me more. If I can say that about vague pictures with no specs.

Last edited:
I am interested in the Gravity as a replacement to our Leaf. (The Air Grand Touring is ultimately replacing our Sienna which goes to ‘if needed for 7 passengers‘ status. - the last ICE). Plan on putting down a deposit as soon as they begin and having the time to think about it. Thoughts by everyone? Saw this recent article tonight which made me think about it again.

Last edited:
There does not seem to be a cut line in the rear blade taillight even though the taillight extends several inches beyond the tailgate opening. It will be interesting to see the how this works

I really liked the look of it, hopefully they open reservations in 2022.

I am interested in the Gravity as a replacement to our Leaf. (The Air Grand Touring is ultimately replacing our Sienna which goes to ‘if needed for 7 passengers‘ status. - the last ICE). Plan on putting down a deposit as soon as they begin and having the time to think about it. Thoughts by everyone? Saw this recent article tonight which made me think about it again.

I find the design that is currently leaked to be a bit too much for the shape (it feels ungainly). The Rivian is more my speed for an SUV, but I’m guessing they’ll make some more design edits as it gets closer to production.

I do plan to reserve one at launch however just in case.

I find the design that is currently leaked to be a bit too much for the shape (it feels ungainly). The Rivian is more my speed for an SUV, but I’m guessing they’ll make some more design edits as it gets closer to production.

I do plan to reserve one at launch however just in case.
I doubt it, look at how close the air is to their prototype

I doubt it, look at how close the air is to their prototype
True, but there’s this quote from Derek: “These (teasers in this story) are our sneak-peak preview shots. We’ve actually changed the design a bit since then and it’s much cooler, even cooler again.”

Oh, I missed that. Good news then! Wonder of they engineered it to have lowest CD for a SUV lol

Oh, I missed that. Good news then! Wonder of they engineered it to have lowest CD for a SUV lol
The lowest CD for an SUV is probably just shy of the CD for a Vogon Constructor Ship :D

Looks great, although am worried about what looks like integrated roof racks causing wind noise (like on my 21 GLS450), also the tires look a little over the top.

Looks great, although am worried about what looks like integrated roof racks causing wind noise (like on my 21 GLS450), also the tires look a little over the top.
Agreed on both points. The Lucid design language works very well with the Air but I'm not sold on the Gravity based on the current images. I'm hopeful it gets some updates before release.

1645228932615.png

Here's the roof racks without the item on it. I wonder how aerodynamic that makes them versus the typical roof rack design.

View attachment 880

Here's the roof racks without the item on it. I wonder how aerodynamic that makes them versus the typical roof rack design.
I would rather have the integrated roof rack as an option rather than by default. I would rather not have them as I think it would affect mileage when you are not needing them. Would rather have a tow hitch mount for bikes, etc.

757884F3-E2E6-4DB7-93B1-911CC769003C.jpeg

Found this in one of the lucid videos. Key take aways

1. No default roof rails
2. 6 seater configuration instead of 7.

I hope seating is an option just like in Model X but not that expensive.

Back