Lucid is not the only luxury car company having trouble with software

Steve
That may be true but Lucid shipped cars with alpha quality software that should never have been in a production car and it's still way behind the quality of our other cars. I know I keep harping on this but my car is so good in many respects other than software. Well, and missing SirrusXM radio. :cool:

There are several of us on the forum that have a background in software development. Maybe we look at the UI and software faults with a more critical eye. I just know that of the five cars that we have the DE has the most cumbersome software to navigate. Just my humble opinion.

I will be the first to sing Lucid's praises once the software is up to snuff but in the meantime I will not cut them any slack, sorry.

That may be true but Lucid shipped cars with alpha quality software that should never have been in a production car and it's still way behind the quality of our other cars. I know I keep harping on this but my car is so good in many respects other than software. Well, and missing SirrusXM radio. :cool:

There are several of us on the forum that have a background in software development. Maybe we look at the UI and software faults with a more critical eye. I just know that of the five cars that we have the DE has the most cumbersome software to navigate. Just my humble opinion.

I will be the first to sing Lucid's praises once the software is up to snuff but in the meantime I will not cut them any slack, sorry.

You are correct that there is one critical difference...the car companies in the article have other vehicles with working software to sell and have put off selling the EVs until they can get the software working properly. Lucid, on the other hand, shipped the cars without first making sure the software all worked.

I don't claim to be prescient but one of the reasons I reserved a Pure was to give Lucid time to get its software working better. Tesla struggled in the early days and Lucid, like Tesla then, has no other cars to ship until they refine the software.

Your complaints are fair but I do think one needs to recognize that a new company could not wait three more years to ship cars while burning cash to refine the software. You have a background in software; did you really expect that the cars would come out of the gate with excellent software?

Using the excuse that the other major car brands are also having major software problems would be a lame way to run a corporation…..

My understanding from every review I’ve read is that the ID.3 and ID.4’s software is utter garbage. And from the video reviews I’ve seen, it sure looks that way. And there have been no updates to make it better.

No excuses for Lucid. They clearly had some sort of major structural problems before shipping their first cars, and they are still paying down that technical debt. But they are paying down, because they have no choice but to do better.

For me, all companies screw up. What happens next is all that matters to me. Lucid clearly cares enough to fix this, as evidenced by the refactoring of their manufacturing and PDI processes. They’ve said less publicly about software, but people here on the forums with little birdies inside the company have stated that they are well aware of the software issues and are working diligently to improve. I take them at their word.

Legacy manufacturers have far less incentive to not suck at software. So I doubt we’ll see that much improvement, at least from some of them.

My understanding from every review I’ve read is that the ID.3 and ID.4’s software is utter garbage. And from the video reviews I’ve seen, it sure looks that way. And there have been no updates to make it better.

No excuses for Lucid. They clearly had some sort of major structural problems before shipping their first cars, and they are still paying down that technical debt. But they are paying down, because they have no choice but to do better.

For me, all companies screw up. What happens next is all that matters to me. Lucid clearly cares enough to fix this, as evidenced by the refactoring of their manufacturing and PDI processes. They’ve said less publicly about software, but people here on the forums with little birdies inside the company have stated that they are well aware of the software issues and are working diligently to improve. I take them at their word.

Legacy manufacturers have far less incentive to not suck at software. So I doubt we’ll see that much improvement, at least from some of them.
Yea because no matter how shitty the Porsche software is...it's still a Porsche

Back