Lucid Gravity Release candidate

The only flat part I can see in the original video is the back. The front just appears that way because of the lighting and the uploaded video quality.

I am also seeing this. I hope that it is painted on the "real" production models, as it looks quite undesirable in this picture. I am fine with the rear panel, but the one on the front is disgusting.
It's probably just a protective film...but go ahead an assume some crazy shit

Go to your room and don’t come out until you can be nice.
Well, first of all, I'm in India right now, so that's not possible. Secondly, what part of my post was not "nice?" Is pointing out that something (a literal car) looks bad to me now considered unkind? Fantastic. Try not to make huge assumptions without meeting me, will you?

Last edited:
The only flat part I can see in the original video is the back. The front just appears that way because of the lighting and the uploaded video quality.
Well, it is shown very clearly in this picture, but as @hydbob said it could be some protective film. I'm curious why it was only left on that part of the car, though.
1722519659589.webp

I'm assuming these are "production intent" vehicles. If so, there are still a lot of open questions about a vehicle that is now at this stage of production:

- Did rear wheel steering make it to final production? If so, on what trim levels?
- Ditto for the HUD?
- What are the differences between the standard air suspension and the "Zero Gravity" option? Will "Zero Gravity" be an option on all trims?
- What are the power outputs and battery capacities at which trim levels?
- Will the Dream Edition have increased power levels and/or battery capacity, as with the Air?
- Will there be a captain's chair option at launch? Or ever? (The Air "executive seating" never made it to market after being heavily touted.)
- Is the charge port the NACS standard?

Well, it is shown very clearly in this picture, but as @hydbob said it could be some protective film. I'm curious why it was only left on that part of the car, though.
View attachment 22327
Keep in mind these RCs, especially the first one off the line, exist to test the manufacturing line. I doubt those platinum cantrails are there to stay, that looks to me like they hadn't gotten the stealth cantrail process to spec yet and just put on what they had. They're testing the painting process here too. Maybe those panels just didn't come out quite right. Maybe they just don't have a topcoat yet. Who knows. Not worth guessing from the first car off the line.

I'm assuming these are "production intent" vehicles. If so, there are still a lot of open questions about a vehicle that is now at this stage of production:

- Did rear wheel steering make it to final production? If so, on what trim levels?
- Ditto for the HUD?
- What are the differences between the standard air suspension and the "Zero Gravity" option? Will "Zero Gravity" be an option on all trims?
- Will the Dream Edition have increased power levels and/or battery capacity, as with the Air?
- Will there be a captain's chair option at launch? Or ever? (The Air "executive seating" never made it to market after being heavily touted.)
I was told by a Lucid employee at the most recent CA rally that rear-wheel steering is definitely a thing. And that it’s amazing. Didn’t think to ask if it’s part of every trim, though. Maybe only for higher-end vehicles? The employee didn’t offer that detail.

Not worried at all about the hardware or how this will drive. It’s the software. Really hope they have a polished launch here on that front.

I was told by a Lucid employee at the most recent CA rally that rear-wheel steering is definitely a thing. And that it’s amazing. Didn’t think to ask if it’s part of every trim, though. Maybe only for higher-end vehicles? The employee didn’t offer that detail.
Well, we do know that the tri-chamber suspension is needed in order to equip RWS on the Gravity. With that in mind, I would make an uneducated guess that the “Pure” does not have it as an option, the Touring and GT have it as an option, and the DE has it standard.

Will there be a captain's chair option at launch? Or ever?
This is by far the most important question for us. The Air lacks in rear-seat “features” relative to some other cars, some of these being rear ventilated seats (a huge omission, IMO), power seats with a large amount of functions, ottomans, etc. I am hoping that the executive chair option launches in Gravity and has all these features, as based on what we’ve seen so far, the “normal” configuration lacks them. In fact, if a Gravity were to release with a 4 seater option (with the second row seats being moved even further back, almost like a Maybach), it would probably be our preferred option. The third row is of relative unimportance to us.

Not worried at all about the hardware or how this will drive. It’s the software. Really hope they have a polished launch here on that front.

I'm not worried. I'm curious.

If Lucid had opened early reservations I would already have one without knowing anything about the vehicle other than it comes from the same team that engineered the Air.

This is by far the most important question for us. The Air lacks in rear-seat “features” relative to some other cars, some of these being rear ventilated seats (a huge omission, IMO), power seats, ottomans, etc. I am hoping that the executive chair option launches in Gravity and has all these features, as based on what we’ve seen so far, the “normal” configuration lacks them. In fact, if a Gravity were to release with a 4 seater option (with the second row seats being moved even further back, almost like a Maybach), it would probably be our preferred option. The third row is of relative unimportance to us.

Although they would be my choice, I actually don't hold out much hope for captains chairs, mainly because Lucid removed the computer-generated images of them from their website some time ago while other computer-generated images of the interior were still up.

I suspect they've gone the way of the "executive seating" option for the Air.

- Ditto for the HUD?
Lucid did state that the charge port will be NACS and it will ship with an adapter. I am assuming that it is 1000V capable NACS and so the charging speed should be similar to Air on CCS.

Lucid did state that the charge port will be NACS and it will ship with an adapter. I am assuming that it is 1000V capable NACS and so the charging speed should be similar to Air on CCS.
I had also assumed this, but one thing I spotted in the video is that the charger is in the same, “old” location instead of being changed to the rear fender as previously rumored for the NACS Gravity. Coupled with the 2025 Air not having NACS (despite the common assumption that all 2025 Lucids would have NACS), I’m doubting whether the Gravity will launch with it or CCS. Personally, at this point, it’s a toss up between which charger is better (mainly due to what happened with the SC team). I wonder what the results would be if we were to make a poll asking which charging standard is preferred.

Or perhaps I’m overthinking it and this is just a result of it being a RC… yeah, that’s probably the case. 🤣

I had also assumed this, but one thing I spotted in the video is that the charger is in the same, “old” location instead of being changed to the rear fender as previously rumored for the NACS Gravity.

This could also pose a problem at some CCS charging stations. The one time I (unsuccessfully) tried a ChargePoint charger, I could only get the cable to reach by straddling two parking spaces. And, a few months back, for the first time I hit an Electrify America station in Miami that had the chargers at the head of the parking spaces instead of alongside them as at every other EA station I had used. I was only able to get the cable to reach the Lucid by angling across two spaces. (This being EA, one of the chargers was down, thus leaving an empty space despite the line of cars waiting to charge.)

Using DCFC is enough of a challenge as it is. It's troubling that Lucid uses a port location that adds to the challenge.

I had also assumed this, but one thing I spotted in the video is that the charger is in the same, “old” location instead of being changed to the rear fender as previously rumored for the NACS Gravity. Coupled with the 2025 Air not having NACS (despite the common assumption that all 2025 Lucids would have NACS), I’m doubting whether the Gravity will launch with it or CCS. Personally, at this point, it’s a toss up between which charger is better (mainly due to what happened with the SC team). I wonder what the results would be if we were to make a poll asking which charging standard is preferred.

Or perhaps I’m overthinking it and this is just a result of it being a RC… yeah, that’s probably the case. 🤣
We were told in very certain terms at the CA rally last week that Gravity ships with NACS. We can put this one to rest.

It'll also scale the voltage to charge at full speed at Tesla Superchargers, once that deal is in place and Tesla gives Lucid access to their network. And of course with the adapter it will do full speed charging at EA and other CCS stations as well.

Air has not yet been retrofitted to NACS for 2025. With an adaptor, it will also be able to charge at Superchargers, however. But at the slower 50kw speed. Lucid's official recommendation is to continue to use EA.

EA has also promised to retrofit all of its chargers with NACS cables in the coming year or two. So Gravity won't need an adaptor forever.

As far as port placement and cable length goes, that's another story. I have no idea whether Lucid is counting on Tesla putting longer cables at their stations or not. I hope not. But I would be surprised if the port will move from its original front driver's side position.

As many of us pointed out back when so many were demanding Lucid switch to NACS, this is not going to be the panacea you all thought it would be. Getting into bed with Elon is a great way to go home with regrets. But the pressure and press were too great, forcing Lucid's hand, in my opinion. I wish they had held out. And I'm glad now that they did hold out for Air. It's going to be years before the dust settles on this one. And at the end of the day, we all may be charging at somewhere other than Tesla, anyway.

I have no idea whether Lucid is counting on Tesla putting longer cables at their stations or not. I hope not.

If Lucid really wants their buyers to be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers, they must be counting on Tesla installing longer cables because the Lucid port location certainly won't fit the bill.

Even with the port location in the taillight of our Tesla, we have to back into a space -- and I mean very far into it -- to get the cable to reach.

More talk about this NACS and Ford just emailed their customers to tell them the adapter rollout is being pushed back again which means more pushback for everyone else....

Back