Lucid Gravity Release candidate

You're expecting an early production car to behave like one that has been out a number of years and had all the issues worked out. Which will never happen. This is my first EV and first car from a new company. It was already on UX 2.0 when I got mine in December of 2022, but it's had issues from time to time that I never had on one of my Toyotas. And as much as I adore this car for myself, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who can't deal with an occasional software issue.
I am NOT expecting an early production car to have zero issues. That exactly what I was saying, that I will wait for the Gravity to be out for 12 months before I pull the trigger. Is my English that bad? :)

Is it just me, or the lighting, or are several elements of this in flat black?

I expected to see the wheel well edges in a flat black composite, although they look different in this video from what we saw on the show car. But in these videos it looks as if there is a flat black panel on the trunk front under the chrome light bar and a flat black panel just under the tailgate window?

I am NOT expecting an early production car to have zero issues. That exactly what I was saying, that I will wait for the Gravity to be out for 12 months before I pull the trigger. Is my English that bad? :)

For my part, I know you were saying only that the early cars would have production issues, not that you expected none. In fairness to @Amster, though, your remark about spending $140K for a car with the early issues you saw did imply that you were expecting fewer issues for that price. Early adopters tend to understand high prices for new product technologies as a development cost premium, not as a conventional value proposition. This is one of the reasons for their greater tolerance of issues.

The point of my post, though, was that the Air had fewer of these issues than any other early models I have purchased from much more established automakers. That is a remarkable feat for Lucid, and with several years of production experience now under their belt, my guess is that early Gravity units will be pretty darned good.

Also, I will be 73 when the Gravity starts deliveries. Thus I probably see waiting an extra year to get a car from a different perspective than you.

I expected to see the wheel well edges in a flat black composite, although they look different in this video from what we saw on the show car. But in these videos it looks as if there is a flat black panel on the trunk front under the chrome light bar and a flat black panel just under the tailgate window?

X user TimJBrooks has a couple of good pics of the front end and trunk lid here. (Sorry, don't know how to post pics from X directly in this forum.)

Keyword "early". That's exactly what I was saying that I wouldn't get an early production car - esp when is from a new automaker like Lucid, Tesla, Rivian, etc. My rule - which I broke with Lucid btw - is that I only get cars that got their mid-life refresh / LCI. Hence, no issues.
I’ve honestly had more problems with my Ford and my Mercedes than my Lucid. All vehicles can have issues regardless. Tesla still has plenty of issues, although they aren’t a new automaker. I’m happy to be an early adopter, that would include Gravity.

The videos Lucid posted were Peter driving. The other videos going around that I originally posted on Twitter were a different driver that is a Lucid employee it appears, and not Ian.

For my part, I know you were saying only that the early cars would have production issues, not that you expected none. In fairness to @Amster, though, your remark about spending $140K for a car with the early issues you saw did imply that you were expecting fewer issues for that price. Early adopters tend to understand high prices for new product technologies as a development cost premium, not as a conventional value proposition. This is one of the reasons for their greater tolerance of issues.

The point of my post, though, was that the Air had fewer of these issues than any other early models I have purchased from much more established automakers. That is a remarkable feat for Lucid, and with several years of production experience now under their belt, my guess is that early Gravity units will be pretty darned good.

Also, I will be 73 when the Gravity starts deliveries. Thus I probably see waiting an extra year to get a car from a different perspective than you.
I bought Lucid in Dec 2022 close to age 66 and I hear you. When I replace my minivan in about 5 years at age 72, I too will not buy a brand new model in the year 1. At that point, I may consider a used Gravity for example.

I'm not the hardcore car aficionado the vast majority of the early adopters were (nor a prior luxury car purchaser), and I had not followed the progress of LUCID as closely - just a mention here and there. When I needed to ditch my prior EV right at the time the AGTs were starting up their delivery in 2022, I took another look. The car checked all the boxes: range, drive, comfort, style, CCS, and .... drive. I took delivery of a UX 1.0 manufactured in 3/22 in early September and weathered the bumps through it. Was there some frustration? Sure, but the bottom line was that it was amazing to drive and kept improving. Any issues have been addressed promptly and thoroughly by the Natick Service Center (mobile service before it opened). Judging by the miles I've racked up in less than two years, it's pretty obvious that I enjoyed the experience of learning and growing as the company has finetuned its very first car. Any complaints I've logged on this forum, I have tried to do in a constructive and measured way. I may downsize to the smaller car in a couple years, but it's going to have to be pretty impressive for me to give up my current AGT. Kudos to Lucid and all the owners who have been so helpful and entertaining for the past two years!

So I must have jinxed myself somehow saying I never had issues with LCIed cars: I just took our '24 Palisade in for its first scheduled service, and I also knew there is a recall. They said they need to replace the whole engine and it's going to take a week or so. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I bought Lucid in Dec 2022 close to age 66 and I hear you. When I replace my minivan in about 5 years at age 72, I too will not buy a brand new model in the year 1. At that point, I may consider a used Gravity for example.

I think maybe you misunderstood my post? I have no qualms in buying an early-production Gravity and, in fact, hope to be near the head of the line for a Dream Edition.

The fact that I'm turning 73 before long means I have less patience for waiting to purchase cars, not more. I waited over 3 three years between reservation and delivery of our Air. I waited over four years after placing a deposit on a Rivian Launch Edition and finally gave up the wait. It will be at least a year since the Gravity reveal before I have any hope of its delivery. I just don't know how many more of these years-long waits for EVs I have in me.

My brother and I have been car nuts since our childhoods and have become avid fans of EVs. We often talk of how grateful we both are to have lived for their arrival. One of the reasons I'm such a fan of Lucid is my relief that such a well-rounded EV came along while I am here to enjoy it. Our first Tesla whetted my appetite for EVs, but Teslas tend to come up short in areas that Lucid fills in so well: handling, ride compliance, space packaging, fine interior materials and finishes, inviting styling.

I love driving and make virtually no use of ADAS in either our Tesla or Lucid. Frankly, though, I'm beginning to pay a little more attention to progress on that front. These eyes and ears ain't gonna last forever.

I think maybe you misunderstood my post? I have no qualms in buying an early-production Gravity and, in fact, hope to be near the head of the line for a Dream Edition.

The fact that I'm turning 73 before long means I have less patience for waiting to purchase cars, not more. I waited over 3 three years between reservation and delivery of our Air. I waited over four years after placing a deposit on a Rivian Launch Edition and finally gave up the wait. It will be at least a year since the Gravity reveal before I have any hope of its delivery. I just don't know how many more of these years-long waits for EVs I have in me.

My brother and I have been car nuts since our childhoods and have become avid fans of EVs. We often talk of how grateful we both are to have lived for their arrival. One of the reasons I'm such a fan of Lucid is my relief that such a well-rounded EV came along while I am here to enjoy it. Our first Tesla whetted my appetite for EVs, but Teslas tend to come up short in areas that Lucid fills in so well: handling, ride compliance, space packaging, fine interior materials and finishes, inviting styling.

I love driving and make virtually no use of ADAS in either our Tesla or Lucid. Frankly, though, I'm beginning to pay a little more attention to progress on that front. These eyes and ears ain't gonna last forever.
I understand now your point of view. I personally consider myself a fast follower of tech but not a bleeding edge adopter. I tend to wait for 1 year usually as a minimum. I do keep my tech and cars as long as they last. I wait for a bit of maturity in tech. That said I bought lucid just 1.5 years ago and I kept my cars for 14 to 21 years. So my replacement for a very lightly used minivan (barely 250 miles per month) will be a high mileage used ev 3 to 4 years old at 50 to 60% depreciation. It is a different use case.

Is that Ian driving?
Rawlinson

Who is Ian? I don't think this is Rawlinson:

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 7.30.01 AM.webp

Mystery partially solved (still don't know who Ian is). Rawlinson apparently took the wheel at some point. In the first video from Reddit there is no front seat passenger. In the video from Teslarati with Rawlinson driving, there are front and rear seat passengers. It seems that one guy maybe drove the Gravity off the production line and Rawlinson then took over with his crew for the publicity shot.

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 7.42.50 AM.png

Who is Ian? I don't think this is Rawlinson:

View attachment 22325
Correct. I posted this a few messages back….
“The videos Lucid posted were Peter driving. The other videos going around that I originally posted on Twitter were a different driver that is a Lucid employee it appears, and not Ian.”
Ian is a Lucid owner, @Tesla2Lucid but it’s not him.

I am also seeing this. I hope that it is painted on the "real" production models, as it looks quite undesirable in this picture. I am fine with the rear panel, but the one on the front is disgusting.

I am also seeing this. I hope that it is painted on the "real" production models, as it looks quite undesirable in this picture. I am fine with the rear panel, but the one on the front is disgusting.
Go to your room and don’t come out until you can be nice.

Back