I have been lurking here for several months. I want a Gravity (have test driven twice and love the drive) but worried about the software. I can see there are still some issues, but I wouldn’t expect 100% perfection. Overall, what do people think of the latest update?
is this now a car you can recommend to someone who is not very tolerant of “issues” (me)?
Depends on what features you value. The recent updates improve a lot, but that's going from lots of frustration to still a significant number of frustrations. But just certain things. If those aren't the things you care much about, then it'll be a 90-10 car for you now (90% greatness, 10% frustration).
For me, it's closer to a 70-30 car right now. There's enough everyday frustration that it has become annoying. A sampling of the things for me...
- AT&T cell coverage is spotty in my area. The audio feeds are FM or streaming or phone. I'm used to dependable SiriusXM via integrated antenna in my other cars. But with no antenna in the Gravity, audio keeps cutting in/out. Frustrating. But for many people that's a non-issue.
- On a related note, the car's Spotify app keeps freezing on me when it plays an ad. Nearly every time. Gotta reboot the car to clear it.
- Terminating cruise control and returning to manual accelerator pedal control is the most difficult I've ever had in a car before. It applies strong regen (even if Regen is off ???) which makes it quite difficult to get a smooth transition without a hard jerking slowdown. I'm sure I'll get better at it but it shouldn't be this difficult.
- The HUD display aiming is poor, especially if you sit high in the seat. And it can't be seen with polarized sunglasses.
- While the entry/exit fob locking/unlocking is greatly improved with recent updates, it's still not 100% dependable. And there's no chirp confirmation when it locks, so you pretty much have to keep looking back to see if it locked itself.
- There's a number of settings/screens that don't return to where you left them (or to a saved profile) from drive to drive. If you prefer CREEP over HOLD, you have to change it EVERY time you get in the car. Same with the audio screens. Same with the map view, and the layout on the dash screen. Starts over every drive.
Some of those are tiny, but frequent which just makes it kind of annoying.
On the other hand, the car is great in many ways. The space utilization is unmatched for a car that's not huge on the outside. It's very comfortable and roomy. Massage seats are unmatched. Charges great, range is great (although don't expect a full 450 miles). Drives great, although the accelerator pedal is stiffer than I prefer. Suspension is good but not as smooth as our Porsche Macan EV.
Anyway, it just depends what you care about most and use most.