Lucid & EA hardware changes with the new NACS standard

Buffalo Bob

Verified Owner
Cars
Pure AWD 19" No Aeros
Referral Code
CVXJ7QLE
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed in the (25 tab) NACS Megathread... I read where Lucid noted that pre-NACS vehicle owners would have NACS access via an adapter, and I'm trying to understand the ramifications of that. For example, will outfits like EA change their plugs to the new standard, such that current owners will have to drag out an adapter every time they are charging on the road? I'm certain that newly produced Lucid vehicles will at some point incorporate the NACS standard plug-in, which will mean that any new Lucid home chargers will be also shift to NACS, an thus require current owners with a new NACS model to use an adapter. Is there any possibility that any changes that would involve the use of an adapter might complicate V2H, if it ever does come down the pike? Or, is it possible that Lucid would offer current owners the option of changing the inbuilt plug-in at a reasonable price?

I'm inclined to buy a home charger now, even though I live in a high-rise and won't need one for a couple years, so that I at least won't need to use an adapter when charging at home, but I don't want to mess up my eventual V2H plans. So many questions!

My guess is that for stations like EA, they will keep the CCS connections for at least a few years until it has actually transitioned and cars who switched are actually being produced with the NACS plug

+1 I think the CCS cables will be around for several years. Adapters should not cause any issues or delay with V2H.
You'll be able to buy both J1772 and NACS home charging stations for a long time. No hurry there.
It's a bit of a big deal to switch a car over from CCS to NACS. It's not just a new receptacle, but also a 500-amp, 1000V contactor and some control logic. A retrofit probably isn't in the works.

Lucid are feeling a little less urgent about converting to NACS, and Ford and Rivian are both feeling a little buyer’s remorse
Why would they be feeling buyers remorse? They got in early, got access to the network and are supplying owners with adapters already. Ford & Rivian owners have the best of both worlds at this point in time.

It’s the rest of us who got left in the dust. Sounds like the egomaniac started rehiring people back onto the team anyway.

Why would they be feeling buyers remorse? They got in early, got access to the network and are supplying owners with adapters already. Ford & Rivian owners have the best of both worlds at this point in time.

It’s the rest of us who got left in the dust. Sounds like the egomaniac started rehiring people back onto the team anyway.
I'm presuming that Lucid is waiting for compatible 1000v Superchargers and the contract begin date is based on the expected rollout of said power cabinets for the V4 Superchargers. Can you imagine the night mare of having to explain to people why they are only getting 50kwh charging at Superchargers?!

I'm presuming that Lucid is waiting for compatible 1000v Superchargers and the contract begin date is based on the expected rollout of said power cabinets for the V4 Superchargers. Can you imagine the night mare of having to explain to people why they are only getting 50kwh charging at Superchargers?!
Probably why Lucid and Hyundai were one of the last to announce. I’m guessing that given they’re both 800v+ platforms Tesla had probably made promises that the V4’s would go online later this year or 2025 for them to enjoy 1000v charging. That’s probably all up in the air now (or at least delayed) given the recent firings.

V4’s dispensers are deploying but they’ve still got V3 power cabinets powering them. Kind of embarrassing given the CyberTruck can’t even charge at full speed on its own network. Apart from the CyberTruck, Tesla has no motivation to speed up the deployment because they found a loophole in NEVI funding to secure it on outdated 400v chargers.

if / when adapters do become available let’s not be the new bolt owners of the EV world taking up a 250kW V3 charger and only charging at 50kW😂. I for one wouldn’t want to deal with the wrath of a Tesla owner knowing your car is clogging up a space longer than it should due to its slow charging, would rather take the risk with EA still.

Probably why Lucid and Hyundai were one of the last to announce. I’m guessing that given they’re both 800v+ platforms Tesla had probably made promises that the V4’s would go online later this year or 2025 for them to enjoy 1000v charging. That’s probably all up in the air now (or at least delayed) given the recent firings.

V4’s dispensers are deploying but they’ve still got V3 power cabinets powering them. Kind of embarrassing given the CyberTruck can’t even charge at full speed on its own network. Apart from the CyberTruck, Tesla has no motivation to speed up the deployment because they found a loophole in NEVI funding to secure it on outdated 400v chargers.

if / when adapters do become available let’s not be the new bolt owners of the EV world taking up a 250kW V3 charger and only charging at 50kW😂. I for one wouldn’t want to deal with the wrath of a Tesla owner knowing your car is clogging up a space longer than it should due to its slow charging, would rather take the risk with EA still.
Imagine if Lucid and Hyundai up their partnership, not only will Lucid provide EV tech to Hyundai, they collaborate on a charging network. Who wants to be at the mercy of a madman who charges his tune every second.

Charging networks are better handled by a separate entity not by a vehicle OEM. Its not their main business and distracts from the task at hand (designing and building cars).
Agreed. Lucid has been very clear from day 1 that they’re not getting into the charging business so anyone hoping for it shouldn’t hold their breath.

Charging networks are better handled by a separate entity not by an vehicle OEM. Its not their main business and distracts from the task at hand (designing and building cars).
Rivian, GM, Ford, Mercedes... All announced building their very own charging network.

Charging stations (or even the perception that they will own one) enhance their values.

Imagine if Lucid and Hyundai up their partnership, not only will Lucid provide EV tech to Hyundai, they collaborate on a charging network. Who wants to be at the mercy of a madman who charges his tune every second.
I wouldn’t be surprised in years to come the madman does something that screws over all EV owners, makes the pricing unreasonable etc. Everyone complains that Tesla has a monopoly and are ultimately forced to sell the network off to an outside company.

Time will tell……

I wouldn’t be surprised in years to come the madman does something that screws over all EV owners, makes the pricing unreasonable etc. Everyone complains that Tesla has a monopoly and are ultimately forced to sell the network off to an outside company.

Time will tell……
There are evils and bad people in the world but that doesn't mean the capitalist system doesn't know how to work with them.

If Tesla NACS goes extinction, remember there are other charging networks who love to take over, especially now it's SAE J3400 for the public and it is not monopolized by any mad man.

Follow the competition is not a great way to run a business.

It made sense 10 years ago for Tesla to build and run stations at loss. Now it better be a profit center and someone else should run it.
Rivian, GM, Ford, Mercedes... All announced building their very own charging network.

Charging stations (or even the perception that they will own one) enhance their values.

I don’t think the perception makes any difference for GM, Ford, or Mercedes. We’ve seen charging networks that were good and plenty that were bad.

10 years from now, we won’t have OEM-owned charging stations. 15 years from now I’m not even convinced Tesla will still own superchargers and/or still be making cars.

I wager a friendly $50 that ten years from now basically all charging across the country comes from dedicated charging station companies (Gravity, BP, Shell, and others)

I don’t think the perception makes any difference for GM, Ford, or Mercedes. We’ve seen charging networks that were good and plenty that were bad.

10 years from now, we won’t have OEM-owned charging stations. 15 years from now I’m not even convinced Tesla will still own superchargers and/or still be making cars.

I wager a friendly $50 that ten years from now basically all charging across the country comes from dedicated charging station companies (Gravity, BP, Shell, and others)

We can only hope.

If that’s the case, I’ll only use premium electricity from these guys. I won’t risk electric motor knocking with regular. ;)

Back