Lucid CEO critiques other EV-SUVs

Not fair. You are driving a luxury vehicle and your spouse is driving a very nice standard vehicle. You need to upgrade her to a Genesis GV60 Performance! 😁
If @HariK 's wife is like mine the RWD Standard GV60 would more than suffice 🫠

(Though annoyingly the nicer interior comes with the Advanced and, even more so, Performance trims)

Not fair. You are driving a luxury vehicle and your spouse is driving a very nice standard vehicle. You need to upgrade her to a Genesis GV60 Performance! 😁
My wife told me the same thing about her Audi when I got my Rivian, so I had to get her an i4M50.

(Though annoyingly the nicer interior comes with the Advanced and, even more so, Performance trims)
My wife preferred the Ioniq 5 Limited to the GV60. To each their own!

Wait, what? Other than the exterior design (which admittedly, considering the GV60's "unfortunate" appearance, is a pretty big factor) and price, is there any reason you would pick the I5? Not hating on the decision, just genuinely curious!

Wait, what? Other than the exterior design (which admittedly, considering the GV60's "unfortunate" appearance, is a pretty big factor) and price, is there any reason you would pick the I5? Not hating on the decision, just genuinely curious!
Look and feel. My wife is not a “car person.” She likes EVs, but she even prefers driving the Ioniq 5 over the Lucid; finds the Lucid “too big,” even though she agrees it’s way more fun to drive (and she loves taking it on road trips).

But she never got used to the wide turn radius due to the extended wheelbase, and that alone makes her feel like the Air is a boat. It isn’t, but I totally get the feeling; it’s also the biggest car I’ve ever driven (she’s driven a Sorento and plenty of other large SUVs before, but with shorter wheelbases and turning radii).

Anyway, we test drove the GV60 at the dealership (he was *really* trying to sell them since they had them piled up) and the Ioniq 5 on Turo (because the Ioniq 5 wasn’t available anywhere).

Wife preferred the look and feel of the Ioniq 5 interior (GV60 was too “gaudy and chromey”, and I actually agreed). The Ioniq 5 also feels a decent bit roomier / airier, by tricking you with its movable center console and the fact that there is an actual gap between the seats in the front of the console.

Small things, but they make a big difference for someone buying a car. And since it’s her car, it’s her opinions that matter. :)

I’d have bought neither lol, and would have waited for the Ioniq 6. Don’t @ me lol

I’d have bought neither lol, and would have waited for the Ioniq 6. Don’t @ me lol
We used to be friends 🤣

(I will NEVER get over the I6's appearance... it is among the ugliest modern cars, IMO. I would think twice about picking it over a Cybertruck, lol)

Look and feel. My wife is not a “car person.” She likes EVs, but she even prefers driving the Ioniq 5 over the Lucid; finds the Lucid “too big,” even though she agrees it’s way more fun to drive (and she loves taking it on road trips).

But she never got used to the wide turn radius due to the extended wheelbase, and that alone makes her feel like the Air is a boat. It isn’t, but I totally get the feeling; it’s also the biggest car I’ve ever driven (she’s driven a Sorento and plenty of other large SUVs before, but with shorter wheelbases and turning radii).

Anyway, we test drove the GV60 at the dealership (he was *really* trying to sell them since they had them piled up) and the Ioniq 5 on Turo (because the Ioniq 5 wasn’t available anywhere).

Wife preferred the look and feel of the Ioniq 5 interior (GV60 was too “gaudy and chromey”, and I actually agreed). The Ioniq 5 also feels a decent bit roomier / airier, by tricking you with its movable center console and the fact that there is an actual gap between the seats in the front of the console.

Small things, but they make a big difference for someone buying a car. And since it’s her car, it’s her opinions that matter. :)
The rest of what you said makes complete sense, though! We tried out an Ioniq 5, but ironically, we hated it for the same reason you liked it. We thought the interior was too bland because of how monochrome it was (and the lack of "interesting" materials, which the Lucid masters), but it being monochrome certainly makes it feel airier. However, I can definitely see how somebody would prefer its interior over the GV60's (I agree with you, it's just a touch too gaudy... but at least its not i7 gaudy). As a bonus, it also has great rear legroom for the size!

Our EV9 also has the same gap between the front seats, and it is quite practical while making the interior feel huge. Based on what I've seen, the I5's is even better!

I wonder what your wife would think about the Gravity, as it has rear-wheel steering which may make up for the long wheelbase?

Last edited:
And we preferred the Electrified G80 to both. More luxurious with a smoother ride. Of course I don't think I had that car for a year before I took a hell of a beating in depreciation when selling. Genesis gets slammed in the used car market. Never again.

Meanwhile in the last 2 weeks I've seen 2 Cybertrucks. It gives me the chills every time being so damn ugly.

Actually the top of the RWD ioniq 5 was 55k vs GV60 top of the line AWD 60k. The reason we got ioniq 5 was she wanted more range and a bit more cargo room.

Meanwhile in the last 2 weeks I've seen 2 Cybertrucks. It gives me the chills every time being so damn ugly.
More recently, I have also seen an uptick of Cybertrucks around me. Perhaps coincidentally, I've also seen an uptick in stroke patients at the local hospital. 🤣

My wife's ioniq 5 Limited RWD has all the features of GV60. She totally loves it and the extra range made it possible for her to drive to LA with 1 charge stop. Not possible in GV60. She would have loved Gravity but could not wait.

I considered the I6, prefer the sedan form factor and think Hyundai's ev design choices (range, size, cost and packaging) are better than other large OEMs.

I considered the I6, prefer the sedan form factor and think Hyundai's ev design choices (range, size, cost and packaging) are better than other large OEMs.
Hmm...

1720642985542.png

Yes, the problem with the I6 is it looks like someone designed a reasonable clay model of a car and then stepped on it. Somehow the factory just went along with the sadly squished and stretched out model.

Yes, the problem with the I6 is it looks like someone designed a reasonable clay model of a car and then stepped on it. Somehow the factory just went along with the sadly squished and stretched out model.
Also, the design features are poorly placed. That spoiler on the back is horrific in combination with the smaller ducktail below it. The front looks pretty good in terms of graphic features, but it "ramps down" a bit too quickly. The entire rear section looks like it is sagging and about to fall off the car, mainly due to the horrific shoulder line (which works in combination with the spoilers to trash this car). It honestly shocks me that the same people who designed the sharp-looking Ioniq 5 green-lit this design!

1720643314434.png

Back