Lucid app update v1.49.0

Has anyone received this update for Android yet? I've been refreshing the app store to check but no dice for me so far...Pixel 8 Pro here
There is no update for Android folks

Feel free to sit for it if you’re too tired to stand.
excuse me sir, android developers don't sit, we slouch
b7515ca9760da10109bd1a4e524904e0.jpg

We're always second on the list. Sometimes far, far behind on the list.
The problem with android… When you do something that’s not just a simple app like a game, every android phone from every manufacturer behaves differently.

To use a phone as a key, the software written for the phone relies upon Bluetooth functionality, and Bluetooth beacon functionality.

Because each android phone manufacturer picks their own Bluetooth chip, and decides their own power management schema, to write something like a phone as a key app for android requires you to try to work around the unique behaviors of every phone on the market. Some of these phones have really nasty bugs in their Bluetooth stacks. Some of them arbitrary suspend applications from running in the background. And some of them don’t reliably deliver beacon notifications to applications running in the background…

And in many cases, every time the android version gets updated, things get broken in new and unique ways.

I appreciate that some folks like to use android, and I don’t want to get involved in a tech-religious war, but making a phone as a key application work on all android phones, even android phones from Google, is a constant struggle for car manufacturers…

Updated my iPhone crickets so far for Android. 😡😡

Because each android phone manufacturer picks their own Bluetooth chip, and decides their own power management schema, to write something like a phone as a key app for android requires you to try to work around the unique behaviors of every phone on the market. Some of these phones have really nasty bugs in their Bluetooth stacks
I was all set to dunk on your comment by pointing out that if you're trying to interact with the hardware you've already done something very wrong,
but...

Some of them arbitrary suspend applications from running in the background. And some of them don’t reliably deliver beacon notifications to applications running in the background…
Nailed it.

Developing for iOS is predictable and plannable. Android has gotten better in this regard since the low of the mid 2010s, but it's still not there.
It isn't even just the extra technical work that goes into a wide android release, there's also a much larger overhead for UX design, user-facing documentation, support training, and testing.

For example consider just the design overheard,
  • the iOS app can be installed on slate phones or a watch. That's basically two user form factors to worry about (call it three if people install on the Vision Pro)
  • an android app can be installed on slate phones, phablets, full tablets, TVs, watches, headless, foldables, thermostats . . . hell, there are pregnancy test that run android.
The things we love about android are the same things that slow down release cycles. Parity would require shipping an Android update that, for most users, is objectively worse.

(ironically this is one of the things that flutter was built to fix, but as @borski already pointed out that's not really a serious way to build for ios)

Last edited:
Well I haven't seen the update available on my iPhone yet??

The prior versions all used a “translation framework” (I’m oversimplifying here on purpose) called Flutter; the idea is that you write code once, and then can deploy it to both Android and iOS (and web, or other devices, or whatever).

The benefit is flexibility - no need to maintain multiple codebases, only have to build a feature once, fix a single bug, and so on.

The drawback is speed (because everything is a little slower due to it not using the “native” iOS APIs), consistency (because you are using neither Android nor iOS, really, but using a layer in between), and limits on how deep of the system you can use and access.

Basically, everything about a native app is superior, except that you have to maintain both it and an Android app separately.

I hate Flutter, because native apps just perform so much better; but for speed of development, I understand why people use Flutter. It lets you build both apps in “half the time” with “half the effort.”

But the technical debt you incur while doing that? That takes years to pay back. :)
Definitely an oversimplification — Flutter isn’t even technically a “native” translation tool given it has a custom rendering engine and leans 0% into native components. I’m super happy about this but sad to see them try to keep the Flutter aesthetic with the custom tab bar at the bottom.

I found the 3D model implementation amusing. For FordPass 5 I implemented this exact same setup, except I used obj models with some translations to usdz and gltf to share animations and some other things with Android via remote distribution to not bloat the binary.

Our designers found this far to basic and wanted more guided visual states similar to what Tesla has — but weren’t able to expand on the animations and complex combos well. Then there were a few other beuro issues. So this was placed on the back burner.

I had nothing but a chuckle when I saw my PoC from what must be 1.5yrs ago here.

Fun fact, the base model is a SceneKit file with a Saphire. Easy to extract from the binary and unfortunately added an extra 25mb to the binary size if anyone is interested. You can also view all the baked animations from that file.

(I haven’t seen Lucid’s car switching screen, but they’re lucky they dont have designers who want a 3D transition to and from it..)

Last edited:
App Store, click your account upper right (your profile pic) drag down to refresh apps that need update. Beyond that, make sure you are on the current iOS?

Just followed your instructions. Thanks so much! Had no idea you could do that. And, ooohhhh… it’s so pretty!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41
Fun fact, the base model is a SceneKit file with a Saphire. Easy to extract from the binary and unfortunately added an extra 25mb to the binary size if anyone is interested. You can also view all the baked animations from that file.
Interesting! I found animations of all the doors and trunks opening. The model seems to be pared down from the lucidmotors.com 3D configurator (is that still around?) but they've still modeled the stitching on the steering wheel as actual geometry:
1714049783546.png

I have no actual use for this model but it's an interesting diversion.

I was all set to dunk on your comment by pointing out that if you're trying to interact with the hardware you've already done something very wrong,
but...
Along with the Bluetooth chip comes the Bluetooth driver, and in some cases the Bluetooth stack; these are where the problems happen.

There is one android phone on the market that under certain circumstances arbitrarily decides to delete device pairings from the phone.

So your phone as a key has been working properly for weeks/months, and all the sudden it stops working. The car thinks you are still paired, the app think you are still paired, so you have to know when this happens to go into the Bluetooth panel on your phone and notice that the pairing for the car has disappeared.

This is just one example…

I am on the correct IOS 17.4.1 (says "Up To Date") and Lucid App is on 1.48.1. When I check the App Store for any updates it doesn't show any Apps waiting for an update. I do have it set to update automatically. So I guess for whatever reason it hasn't become available for me yet. Hopefully soon.

I am on the correct IOS 17.4.1 (says "Up To Date") and Lucid App is on 1.48.1. When I check the App Store for any updates it doesn't show any Apps waiting for an update. I do have it set to update automatically. So I guess for whatever reason it hasn't become available for me yet. Hopefully soon.
You can do a search in the App Store and download it manually. Search for Lucid Motors.

Did you go to that screen and refresh it? In other words, go to the App Store, tap the icon in the upper right hand corner, then pull down and release to refresh that screen.

Back