Lucid Air HiFi & Sound System

My concern with them allowing higher bandwidth is Tidal failing even more. Right now it tends to fail on a fairly high frequency when using Atmos, I'm thinking that is from the higher bandwidth requirement.

Has anyone confirmed that Apple Music streaming through bluetooth actually uses Atmos? I've seen no indication of it. AFAIK the only way to use Atmos is the like 30 songs that Tidal has.

Also, fun note:
If you tell Alexa: "Alexa, Read my book" it starts reading your last Audible book and has very basic integrated Audible controls.
View attachment 836
I am relatively certain that Apple Music will send Dolby Atmos via Bluetooth. They state this is the case for their air pods, my laptop, and the new Apple Headphones, all of which use Bluetooth. Further, as I've written before, on my test drive we did use Apple Music via Bluetooth and it sounded fantastic. Lastly, I can stream Dolby Atmos from my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my stereo system in my home using "mirroring" and the Apple TV disc. Again, sounds fantastic to my ear.

I am relatively certain that Apple Music will send Dolby Atmos via Bluetooth. They state this is the case for their air pods, my laptop, and the new Apple Headphones, all of which use Bluetooth. Further, as I've written before, on my test drive we did use Apple Music via Bluetooth and it sounded fantastic. Lastly, I can stream Dolby Atmos from my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my stereo system in my home using "mirroring" and the Apple TV disc. Again, sounds fantastic to my ear.
Just because it can send over BT doesn't mean the car can understand it :)

Bluetooth doesn't support multi-channel audio. You can upsample all day long. The mere fact they sell Dolby Atmos headphones shows how people fall for the okey doke.

Bluetooth doesn't support multi-channel audio. You can upsample all day long. The mere fact they sell Dolby Atmos headphones shows how people fall for the okey doke.
I hear what you are saying and I admit I am not an audiophile by any means. That said I do find it hard to believe Apple would be putting out erroneous information but maybe you are right and they are just ripping us off.

If you look at what Apple actually says, what they're providing is "spatial audio" derived from Dolby Atmos sources; there's no claim that the headphones themselves have more than two channels of output and certainly not that they are sending more than two channels of audio over Bluetooth. They presumably achieve this effect through the Dolby Atmos consumer headphone implementation, in the same way that the older Dolby Headphone approximates a 5.1 experience with just two speakers (I make no assertions here about the fidelity of such approximations ;)). Apple's headphones also apparently use head positioning detection to aid in the illusion for certain headphones.

So I strongly suspect when you listen to Dolby Atmos tracks in the Air over bluetooth through your iPhone, you're getting the Dolby Atmos headphone mix through two audio channels. If you listen to it from Tidal via the car's electronics directly, there's enough information in the stream itself to get "true" multichannel, though it would be nice to confirm they're actually doing that.

My concern with them allowing higher bandwidth is Tidal failing even more. Right now it tends to fail on a fairly high frequency when using Atmos, I'm thinking that is from the higher bandwidth requirement.

Has anyone confirmed that Apple Music streaming through bluetooth actually uses Atmos? I've seen no indication of it. AFAIK the only way to use Atmos is the like 30 songs that Tidal has.

Also, fun note:
If you tell Alexa: "Alexa, Read my book" it starts reading your last Audible book and has very basic integrated Audible controls.
View attachment 836

Yeah, my guess is the eventual solution will be to allow downloading of offline Tidal playlists, similar to the offline maps. Very curious to know how much storage this baby has.

Agreed re: all the other issues you mentioned with bandwidth.

Also, when playing anything encoded in Dolby Atmos it will show the Dolby Atmos logo. You can see this if you play Tidal’s DA stuff via Bluetooth. Haven’t tried Apple Music.

If you look at what Apple actually says, what they're providing is "spatial audio" derived from Dolby Atmos sources; there's no claim that the headphones themselves have more than two channels of output and certainly not that they are sending more than two channels of audio over Bluetooth. They presumably achieve this effect through the Dolby Atmos consumer headphone implementation, in the same way that the older Dolby Headphone approximates a 5.1 experience with just two speakers (I make no assertions here about the fidelity of such approximations ;)). Apple's headphones also apparently use head positioning detection to aid in the illusion for certain headphones.

So I strongly suspect when you listen to Dolby Atmos tracks in the Air over bluetooth through your iPhone, you're getting the Dolby Atmos headphone mix through two audio channels. If you listen to it from Tidal via the car's electronics directly, there's enough information in the stream itself to get "true" multichannel, though it would be nice to confirm they're actually doing that.

It does send all the channels via the car’s apps. Tidal does not send all of them via BT. The Dolby Atmos logo on the car lights up white when it is receiving DA-encoded audio - it is gray otherwise, or non-existent.

Yeah, my guess is the eventual solution will be to allow downloading of offline Tidal playlists, similar to the offline maps. Very curious to know how much storage this baby has.

Also, when playing anything encoded in Dolby Atmos it will show the Dolby Atmos logo. You can see this if you play Tidal’s DA stuff via Bluetooth. Haven’t tried Apple Music.
It doesn’t show with Apple, which is where my question came from.

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) is one of the better bluetooth codings. It supports higher sample rate audio but is still only stereo. I do not know of a bluetooth coding that supports more than 2 channels. Bluetooth is not my area of expertise so I could be missing something.

Apple Music has hundreds of songs recorded in Dolby Atmos. As you say, they do show the Dolby Atmos logo on all these albums/songs. They also show "Spatial Audio" on various songs some of which also have the Dolby Atmos logo but many only have the "Spatial Audio" logo. I've already created a playlist with just the Dolby Atmos logo music. Others may be correct that Bluetooth won't allow more than two channels but I'm hoping eventually the Air will have Apple CarPlay and then I'm assuming I will be able to stream my playlist directly. The other alternative is as others have mentioned, perhaps I will be able at some point to direct connect my iPhone via cable to USB and then use the Apple Music Playlist that way.

Apple Music has hundreds of songs recorded in Dolby Atmos. As you say, they do show the Dolby Atmos logo on all these albums/songs. They also show "Spatial Audio" on various songs some of which also have the Dolby Atmos logo but many only have the "Spatial Audio" logo. I've already created a playlist with just the Dolby Atmos logo music. Others may be correct that Bluetooth won't allow more than two channels but I'm hoping eventually the Air will have Apple CarPlay and then I'm assuming I will be able to stream my playlist directly. The other alternative is as others have mentioned, perhaps I will be able at some point to direct connect my iPhone via cable to USB and then use the Apple Music Playlist that way.

For sure. I meant the *car* displays the Dolby Atmos logo when it’s playing Dolby Atmos encoded tracks. Apple Music definitely has DA tracks - I’m just pretty certain it doesn’t stream it in DA into the car over Bluetooth. Does that clarify what I meant?

(To be clear, they still sound great. I’m just annoying and an audiophile)

For sure. I meant the *car* displays the Dolby Atmos logo when it’s playing Dolby Atmos encoded tracks. Apple Music definitely has DA tracks - I’m just pretty certain it doesn’t stream it in DA into the car over Bluetooth. Does that clarify what I meant?

(To be clear, they still sound great. I’m just annoying and an audiophile)
Yes, I do understand your point and that posted by the other audiophiles. So do you think once we get Apple CarPlay (someday??) we will be able to stream Dolby Atmos directly from an Apple Music Playlist? I hope that will be sooner rather than later or maybe they will just let us direct connect via USB??

Yes, I do understand your point and that posted by the other audiophiles. So do you think once we get Apple CarPlay (someday??) we will be able to stream Dolby Atmos directly from an Apple Music Playlist? I hope that will be sooner rather than later or maybe they will just let us direct connect via USB??

CarPlay itself won’t help unless it’s via USB, not wireless (aka Bluetooth) CarPlay.

That said, if they integrate CarPlay I’d be surprised if they didn’t *also* support Apple Music natively in the car, which would solve this problem for you. :)

CarPlay itself won’t help unless it’s via USB, not wireless (aka Bluetooth) CarPlay.

That said, if they integrate CarPlay I’d be surprised if they didn’t *also* support Apple Music natively in the car, which would solve this problem for you. :)
I thought Wireless CarPlay uses a combination of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, no?

I thought Wireless CarPlay uses a combination of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, no?

You’re right, and I stand corrected! It is totally possible, then, that the closed Wi-Fi portion of wireless CarPlay will provide sufficient bandwidth for an Atmos data stream! Will be very curious to find out.

That said I do find it hard to believe Apple would be putting out erroneous information but maybe you are right and they are just ripping us off.

Pay Tesla $12,000 for its "full self driving". Then take your hand off the steering wheel/yoke and see what happens . . . .

What is highly frustrating to me is that at this point you have to pay for a streaming service to take advantage of encoded material.

Back