Lucid Air GT vs Mercedes EQS 580

It’s hard to use bidirectional charging as a selling point for Lucid when they still dont actually support it yet..
How does the Ford announcement of NACS affect their bi-directional capabilities?

I drove the EQS at an industry event.
Main takeaways:

Back seat is too small.

Of all the media outlets covering the EQS launch, only NYT Autos mentioned this problem. If you’re over 6ft your head will hit the ceiling in the back seat. Car is a non-starter as an airport limo for folks my size. MB claim it’s similar to an “S” class interior, but that’s total BS.

Suspension is too soft.

If you like sports car handling, you’ll hate the EQS. Even in sport mode it drives like a boat. Note: there is a pothole detection feature on some models; it doesn’t work. Apparently it uses the cameras to see imperfections in the road, but it does jack shit. (And believe me, where I live there’s some serious potholes).

Lots of vestigial controls:

There a shifter, but there no transmission. Why do you need a shifter?

There’s a start button, but there’s no engine to start. Why do you need a start button?

Over and over, MB copied controls wholesale from ice models. (This was also a problem with early versions of the Audi e-tron. ) Really unfortunate that MB user interface designers didn’t do a better job adapting EV interfaces. Everything from the feel of the regen to the buttons makes you believe that whoever designed the EQS had never owned an EV before.

There’s no frunk:

Added to the relatively small trunk, the lack of storage makes it a non-starter for suburban shopping trips.

It’s long:

Seriously, it’s like a foot longer than a normal car. Goodbye garage space. Parking in the city is going to be a nightmare. And for what? Maybe a longer car gives you “prestige,” but it’s a real pain as a daily driver.

Hope that’s helpful. I did like the build quality of the Mercedes. And full disclosure, they gave me a free hat.

There's a good video by Engineering Explained on YouTube which states that the EQS is a foot longer than the Air but yet the Air has 2.5x the cargo space. Don't know how important that is in your decision making. Credit @FortLiquordale

There's a good video by Engineering Explained on YouTube which states that the EQS is a foot longer than the Air but yet the Air has 2.5x the cargo space. Don't know how important that is in your decision making. Credit @FortLiquordale
The EQS does not have a frunk, so less storage, but does have a hatchback that makes it much easier to load things in the trunk.

I have an EQS 580 and am looking to sell it for a Lucid Touring. Would like to know your thoughts. I haven't had a chance to drive a Lucid yet. What I like about the EQS are: (1) great Car Play integration; (2) great suspension; (3) solid charging; (4) fairly intuitive infotainment software. What I don't like: (1) brakes; (2) exterior appearance; (3) disappointing rear seats.

Thanks!
I have quite a lot of comments in this thread that probably hit on some of the points you brought up:

Is there something you're particularly looking for comparison wise? What I can say, is from day #1 I was flaky on my EQS ownership due to the reasons you mentioned and the details in my other posts. Regarding my AGT, I've had 0 regrets or flakiness. The car is simply, what I wanted. I do wish the AGT had a hatchback, but that's not a deal breaker for me in any way. I'm also really excited to see what happens with the official Gravity unveiling although, that would have been a secondary car to my sedan 😅.

I have quite a lot of comments in this thread that probably hit on some of the points you brought up:

Is there something you're particularly looking for comparison wise? What I can say, is from day #1 I was flaky on my EQS ownership due to the reasons you mentioned and the details in my other posts. Regarding my AGT, I've had 0 regrets or flakiness. The car is simply, what I wanted.
The AMG EQS is the only version worth having, IMHO. It drives and brakes much better than the others. That said, it is a very different car than the Lucid. We have both and I have posted several times about the differences. I like driving the Lucid better but the AMG EQS has much better software and feels much more polished than the Lucid. When/if Lucid has software and features that match the EQS, then I would pick Lucid over the EQS. The other things to consider are: Mercedes is in much better financial shape compared to Lucid and has an extensive dealer network.

Back