Lucid Air GT vs Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG

andylee

Referral Code SIW5Q2L3
Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Lucid Air GT is designed to compete with Mercedes-Benz S65/S63 AMG, not Tesla Model S. Being a long-term S65 owner, I’d like to make a quick comparison after driving Air GT for several weeks.

1. While the roaring sound of S65 V12 engine pumps up the adrenaline, the instant acceleration of Air GT feels like hyperspace jump in Sci Fi movies. It applies to many EVs, not just Air GT. But, no doubt, Air GT is faster than S65.

2. Air GT seats much lower than S65. It feels and handles more like a sport coupe than a full-size sedan. It seems to change my driving mentality and behaviors from “old school” to “tech bro”.

3. Both interiors are luxury. S65 has better rear seats. If you have a driver to drive you around, you’d feel more luxurious in S65. While driving S65, sometimes, I feel like a hired driver with the boss behind me.

4. I am not sure which car attracts more attention. Other drivers seem to behave “better” around S65. They might be afraid of the mafia boss inside the S65. On the other hand, Tesla drivers always want to drive faster and pass my Air GT. Their self-esteem seems to be threatened by Lucid.

5. The overall size of Air GT is close to Mercedes E Class. But the interior space is as big as Mercedes S Class. As expected, EVs usually have more cargo spaces with trucks and frunks. What surprised me is that I can put two full-size luggage cases in Air GT’s truck. It’s not as easy for S65, while still doable. In addition, Air GT’s truck and frunk have upper and lower compartments. You can store many things there.

In short, Air GT feels younger, techier, and more fun. On the other hand, S65 is still the #1 choice for mafia boss.

So how many of the mafia bosses are there ;)?
Asking for a friend

OK. I'll have a go.
Mercedes E63S biturbo V8 wagon. Hauls lumber, remodeling fixtures, shrubberies...does 0-60 in under 4 ... sleeper...
vs
Air GT ...

wow

... sold the wagon...

OK. I'll have a go.
Mercedes E63S biturbo V8 wagon. Hauls lumber, remodeling fixtures, shrubberies...does 0-60 in under 4 ... sleeper...
vs
Air GT ...

wow
Now thats an insanely hard choice... as it is with any AMG wagon. Brilliant machines.

I'm considering moving over from a 2024 S580e. S-class clearly is the traditional best in class luxury sedan for cabin quality, silence, and ride. Performance doesn't matter much to me. Is this car going to feel as nice as an S-class or am I better off waiting a couple of years until Merc electrifies the current line? The EQS is of no interest to me.

I'm considering moving over from a 2024 S580e. S-class clearly is the traditional best in class luxury sedan for cabin quality, silence, and ride. Performance doesn't matter much to me. Is this car going to feel as nice as an S-class or am I better off waiting a couple of years until Merc electrifies the current line? The EQS is of no interest to me.
Depends on your definition of "nice." I feel like Mercedes and Lucid have different approaches to luxury. Lucid is more Scandinavian minimalist. Nice, beautiful materials, but nothing flashy. Understated.

Mercedes is more posh. Both are extremely well designed cars with excellent interiors. It's really a matter of preference. You'd have to sit in both and decide for yourself.

I'd say where you got to "Performance doesn't matter much to me" - the Air isn't the right car. You might want to look at the i7 though.

I think some are over selling the Air as a sports car. It's a luxury car first and foremost, but it as a fine driving machine. As @joec said, the interior is the biggest departure from the S-class and that is a subjective choice.

I think some are over selling the Air as a sports car. It's a luxury car first and foremost, but it as a fine driving machine. As @joec said, the interior is the biggest departure from the S-class and that is a subjective choice.
I don't think it's over selling it as a sports car. It's a luxury sedan with a sporty edge. If the sporty edge isn't interesting to you, it's not going to compete well against an EQS or especially an i7. They do the luxury/quiet/soft part better because they don't worry about the sporty part at all. Not to say one is a better car than the other, but as priorities go, they're just at different places on the spectrum.

Fair enough, I guess it matters how one defines performance. If someone told me "performance doesn't matter" I wouldn't dismiss the Air as a recommendation. After 3 years in a 3 Performance I too wasn't concerned with the 0-60 metric, rather range, efficiency, and good chassis dynamics moved to the top of the list. The other soft bits are a subjective personal choice, but the Air is a compelling BEV option to be sure.

At ones point of my life i have had both at the same time. CL600 (V12) and AMG63 (V8 biturbo).
CL600 absolutely brilliant design and execution. AMG63 on the other hand, a real piece of shit.
Both are gone of course. Then Audi S8 came aboard, great car not to be beaten in driving dynamics and comfort. That's what i thought at that time.
Then driving GT-P is the pinnacle I thought.
Then the Sapphire.
What else is out there?

Attachments

• b23f3c98-4d17-4aa8-bd90-7a9a9ecb0432.webp
    b23f3c98-4d17-4aa8-bd90-7a9a9ecb0432.webp
    98.7 KB · Views: 19
  • af7244a2-476d-4417-bb86-0e3b4a37d102.webp
    af7244a2-476d-4417-bb86-0e3b4a37d102.webp
    74.6 KB · Views: 19
At ones point of my life i have had both at the same time. CL600 (V12) and AMG63 (V8 biturbo).
CL600 absolutely brilliant design and execution. AMG63 on the other hand, a real piece of shit.
Both are gone of course. Then Audi S8 came aboard, great car not to be beaten in driving dynamics and comfort. That's what i thought at that time.
Then driving GT-P is the pinnacle I thought.
Then the Sapphire.
What else is out there?
I would have never imagined you were an AMG guy! But hey, at least now I know where the "S8" in your name comes from, or at least I assume that's where it comes from. I've always loved the looks of the CL...

Thanks all. By "performance doesn't matter" I more meant that I'm not looking to buy a sports car, but I definitely want the car to move fast when I press the accelerator getting onto the highway. I'll just have to sit in the Lucid Air. I wasn't wowed by the interior build of the EQS when I was last in one. The recent BWM exteriors are hideous - I would buy an i7 in a heartbeat otherwise.

If you value driving dynamics at all, even not "sports car", yeah - the Air is super compelling.

I went from an Evora GT -> Taycan Cross Turismo -> Air GT.

Clearly I'm slowly getting softer, but while I was driving the Evora, there weren't really many cars that were compelling to drive until I drove the Taycan (had rear steer, ptv+, pdcc, all that jazz).

The Taycan wasn't as good as the Evora, but it was excellent to drive.

The Air is not as good, but it still stands out compared to the EQS, the EV6, i7 (and i5) and Model S as much better to drive to me, but also way more refinement/luxury than any of those are even trying to do.

Back