Lucid Air GT mini review from owner.

I had to put in some highway miles today. It wasn’t a road trip. Just had to get somewhere and it would take 7-8 miles on crappy, congested (but moving for the most part) highways to get there. A modestly longer distance on the back half.

The Air GT was a dream. The GT’s handling and power consistently enabled me to get out of “traps” set by inattentive or unskilled drivers. I had my music going and the seats were messaging and ventilated. Normally, I would have arrived stressed and annoyed. Instead, I was exhilarated and sincerely wishing the drive had been longer!

Worth. Every. Dime.

I had to put in some highway miles today. It wasn’t a road trip. Just had to get somewhere and it would take 7-8 miles on crappy, congested (but moving for the most part) highways to get there. A modestly longer distance on the back half.

The Air GT was a dream. The GT’s handling and power consistently enabled me to get out of “traps” set by inattentive or unskilled drivers. I had my music going and the seats were messaging and ventilated. Normally, I would have arrived stressed and annoyed. Instead, I was exhilarated and sincerely wishing the drive had been longer!

Worth. Every. Dime.
Yes. The ability to instantaneously place the car anywhere you want has saved me from two crashes in the last week, and saved me from what could have been a severe or even deadly one a month ago. The first was on the way to work, and some van or truck had dropped a ladder in the middle lane, and it was so recent it wasn't on waze yet as an obstacle. A quick dart to the left and it was in my rear view mirror. It didn't even feel like a "darting" move though, it just felt like I moved from one lane to another with indifference. The second was yesterday on the way home, on I95 North there was a lone wheel standing upright one lane from the passing lane, literally horizontally facing oncoming traffic. I still have no earthly idea how this violation of the laws of physics happened that put the wheel in that position, but the Lucid broke the laws of physics too, I swerved to the right and jetted ahead. It was on a corner, and after avoiding the obstacle, looking in my rearview mirror I suddenly saw no cars behind me so I don't think any of them were so lucky. I'm pretty sure if this were Tesla FSD the car would have just stopped in front of the tire and the other 90 cars behind me would have plowed into me. And then last month we went up near Mt Washington in New Hampshire. On one of the downhill mountain passes on the way there was an on-ramp merging onto the main road and some car entering the road turned left INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC the wrong way on this one way highway, obviously she was looking at GPS or was very confused. I immediately zipped into the far right lane onto where the on-ramp was that she had just turned off of and avoided trouble then went along. I could see her in my rearview mirror trying to do a 3 point turn in the middle of the road as cars behind were barreling down and slamming on their brakes.

Last edited:
Yes. The ability to instantaneously place the car anywhere you want has saved me from two crashes in the last week, and saved me from what could have been a severe or even deadly one a month ago. The first was on the way to work, and some van or truck had dropped a ladder in the middle lane, and it was so recent it wasn't on waze yet as an obstacle. A quick dart to the left and it was in my rear view mirror. It didn't even feel like a "darting" move though, it just felt like I moved from one lane to another with indifference. The second was yesterday on the way home, on I95 North there was a lone wheel standing upright one lane from the passing lane, literally horizontally facing oncoming traffic. I still have no earthly idea how this violation of the laws of physics happened that put the wheel in that position, but the Lucid broke the laws of physics too, I swerved to the right and jetted ahead. It was on a corner, and after avoiding the obstacle, looking in my rearview mirror I suddenly saw no cars behind me so I don't think any of them were so lucky. I'm pretty sure if this were Tesla FSD the car would have just stopped in front of the tire and the other 90 cars behind me would have plowed into me. And then last month we went up near Mt Washington in New Hampshire. On one of the downhill mountain passes on the way there was an on-ramp merging onto the main road and some car entering the road turned left INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC the wrong way on this one way highway, obviously she was looking at GPS or was very confused. I immediately zipped into the far right lane onto where the on-ramp was that she had just turned off of and avoided trouble then went along. I could see her in my rearview mirror trying to do a 3 point turn in the middle of the road as cars behind were barreling down and slamming on their brakes.
I'm thinking she was just dimwitted, the stupidity and incompetance of many drivers on the road is terrifying.

I'm thinking she was just dimwitted, the stupidity and incompetance of many drivers on the road is terrifying.
The older I get and the more miles I put in, I’ve come to believe that most folks are barely adequate to adequate drivers.

Those of us on the road are just naturally not paying full attention to what we are doing at any given moment. We are literally driving on various levels of autopilot instead. Coming out of that autopilot to react to the unexpected takes a moment. Consider that a barely adequate or adequate someone is already likely to have slower reaction times due to their skill level while being less likely to make the right call (mistakes are human). So what happens if this someone “wakes” to the sudden challenge of making a precision maneuver at speed? Under those circumstances, the significant decision-making delay will be indistinguishable from no reaction at all.

It will be good when they finally automate all of this stuff, allowing many on the road to message, chat, watch videos, or nap while getting from point A to point B. And that’s why all the driver assist tech in our Airs will help us be better than we might be otherwise!

Last edited:
The older I get and the more miles I put in, I’ve come to believe that most folks are barely adequate to adequate drivers.

Those of us on the road are just naturally not paying full attention to what we are doing at any given moment. We are literally driving on various levels of autopilot instead. Coming out of that autopilot to react to the unexpected takes a moment. Consider that a barely adequate or adequate someone is already likely to have slower reaction times due to their skill level while being less likely to make the right call (mistakes are human). So what happens if this someone “wakes” to the sudden challenge of making a precision maneuver at speed? Under those circumstances, the significant decision-making delay will be indistinguishable from no reaction at all.

It will be good when they finally automate all of this stuff, allowing many on the road to message, chat, watch videos, or nap while getting from point A to point B. And that’s why all the driver assist tech in our Airs will help us be better than we might be otherwise!
It helps to remember evolution did not prepare us to be moving 50 miles per hour, let alone 80. Our brains simply can't comprehend that speed. We could never go that fast on our own propulsion.

It works out most of the time because highways were designed to give us fewer surprises than you might think. As long as everyone stays in their lane and we're all moving approximately the same speed, highway driving doesn't require much attention. Long straightaways followed by very long, gentle turns. Unfortunately, that lulls us into a false sense of security.

When something unexpected happens, all hell breaks loose. Everyone on the road relies on no one reacting poorly. Many times, no one does, and we all go home safe. Other times…

Some people literally are not qualified to drive. It’s scary. Reason #726262 I had to white motorcycle riding.

I‘m a preternaturally $hitty driver. I’m Asian.

(On Tesla’s “Safety Score”, I never, ever scored above an 89 out of 100. Even “Elon” thinks so too).

I'm a white male caucasian driving a red BMW. Automatically qualify as a bad driver. It's the car. It's so fun.
I used to drive Volvo wagons exclusively, but sold them all.
Now I drive my son's car while I wait for the Lucid.
... went from volvo to assho.

Glad to see posts like this. Glad to see the smart people here have a vision of where we need to go.

Worth. Every. Dime.
I love to drive and have been all my life. I know what you mean about traps. I'm teaching the wife how to be a proper pilot. She is the one in the far left lane going 70 on the Jersey Pike ... I tell her if she did that in Germany she'd be taken out and shot. She still does it.
I point out the signs: KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT . She's never noticed them before! ? Still does it. I teach her about the wolf packs: people like to bunch-up. Once you know this you can adjust your speed to get between the clumps. I call it surfing the gaps. She does this now and it's wonderful. For my first GT trip I plan to visit my sisters in NH. About 350 mi. I finally have the range and a worthy goal. The car is due any day now. Leaves are ready to turn. Big canopy top. The anticipation itself is a rush.

(On Tesla’s “Safety Score”, I never, ever scored above an 89 out of 100. Even “Elon” thinks so too).
Oh, that Safety Score thing was a total joke. Gun it at a red light on city streets, blow through three red lights, and you’re still at a perfect score, as long as you slow down gently enough. But turn even a little faster than a frightened teenager driving for the first time, and you get dinged five points.

If some idiot slams his breaks in front of you, and you react perfectly and stop well short of hitting him, you get dinged 15 points for a “forward collision warning.” I guess it would be better to actually have a forward collision?

If this is Tesla’s idea of “safety” no wonder FSD is a mess.

The best part was that you could cheat by doing a hard reset whenever you did something the car didn’t like. Reset, and that particular drive doesn’t count. And then just drive on an empty highway for 20 miles and score 100.

Back