Lucid Air 2.8.9

I just drove 1,100 miles. Half on 2.8.7. Half on 2.8.9. They didn’t touch regen.

Double check that regen hasn’t reset itself to a different level. That’s been known to happen after an update.

Otherwise, I don’t know what to tell you. Other than that there have been several updates where folks swear up and down their regen has changed and Lucid didn’t change anything.

if I had to venture a guess, 2.8.9 fixed whatever was causing the screen blackouts and little else.
 
did you ever get Shortcuts to do anything else? I try to get it to warm up my car at a set time but it never works.
The only thing it used shortcuts for was to force the CarPlay connection. Sorry…

At least that’s been fixed now! CarPlay reconnects automatically. Almost too “automatically”. The other day I was in the car but trying to connect to my home WiFi, and CarPlay kept crashing reconnecting!

- T
 
I've been installing updates as soon as they were available since 2022 and have never wished I'd waited. I think spending time on this forum sparks unnecessary worry.
In the past few months alone there was an update that completely bricked the car for several minutes every time it woke up from charging, and another that was just pulled a week ago because it crashed the instrument cluster mid drive and caused a huge safety issue.

I'm glad you've identified the forum as the issue, though. 🙄

I just drove 1,100 miles. Half on 2.8.7. Half on 2.8.9. They didn’t touch regen.

Multiple people commenting are indicating the reduced regen started in 2.8.7, so perhaps your statement shouldn't be so declarative.

I hope it's not true though as I found "high" to be the only functional setting from day 1. But I still got at least another two weeks of avoiding this update prompt to make sure it doesn't spontaneously combust.
 
hope it's not true though as I found "high" to be the only functional setting from day 1. But I still got at least another two weeks of avoiding this update prompt to make sure it doesn't spontaneously combust.
I liked the updated cuz I hate brake regen and it certainly wasn’t smooth on smooth.
 
No issues with either recent version. Only thing I noticed is that when I descend from my 4,500ft mountain the miles per kwh sits at max of 6.21 for a while, but for the last 1,000 feet of elevation loss, the m per kwh screen shows 0.00. That's no big deal to me. But no difference detected in the behavior of the vehicle otherwise.
 
Multiple people commenting are indicating the reduced regen started in 2.8.7, so perhaps your statement shouldn't be so declarative.
Multiple people on the internet report Big Foot sightings on a regular basis. Doesn’t make them real.

Like I said, folks have been “indicating” this for three years about several updates.

So there are two possibilities: Lucid’s driving dynamics software team regularly tweaks regen on a car that gets zero complaints about how it drives, for no reason, and then hides it from us.

Or that team is pretty busy working on nailing down Midsize and how it will perform, and people here are experiencing a sort of placebo effect whenever they do a minor infotainment bug fix update on their Air.

You do you, but I’m going with the latter.
 
Put me in the camp that sees a change. Smooth isn't nearly as abrupt when you first lift off the throttle. It used to grab--even my wife noticed it and she doesn't notice anything. After that, regen quickly ramps up to the level it used to be.
 
Has anyone gotten 2.8.9 in the last 2-3 days? Wondering if it’s been paused
 
Multiple people on the internet report Big Foot sightings on a regular basis. Doesn’t make them real.

Like I said, folks have been “indicating” this for three years about several updates.

So there are two possibilities: Lucid’s driving dynamics software team regularly tweaks regen on a car that gets zero complaints about how it drives, for no reason, and then hides it from us.

Or that team is pretty busy working on nailing down Midsize and how it will perform, and people here are experiencing a sort of placebo effect whenever they do a minor infotainment bug fix update on their Air.

You do you, but I’m going with the latter.
They definitely changed regen but now Smooth is Smooth. Prior, Swift was smoother regen but harder suspension. Now it makes sense. Even with regen on Standard, the Air now drives like a true luxury ICE sedan.
 
AT returned from service yesterday with 2.8.9 installed. 20 mile drive home and no issues noted. Regen felt the same as before. No issues with DD, but only used for 10 min and highway was not too busy. Did have an abrupt lane change assist abort, which I probably would have done if in control... highway has a sweeping curve to the right and there was a car passing in next lane over on the left. Curve of the road made passing car appear closer than it was. I considered this a solid safety maneuver
 
So there are two possibilities: Lucid’s driving dynamics software team regularly tweaks regen on a car that gets zero complaints about how it drives, for no reason, and then hides it from us.

Or that team is pretty busy working on nailing down Midsize and how it will perform, and people here are experiencing a sort of placebo effect whenever they do a minor infotainment bug fix update on their Air.

You do you, but I’m going with the latter.
Feel free, I was just saying I think you should frame your opinion as that instead of the declarative statement that all the other posters are wrong. Personally, I'd need a bit more than "why would Lucid's software team do this?" given what I've seen the past few updates, but I'll make sure to chime in when enough time goes by that I think the update is safe to install.

You know what would quell the speculation? Having actual patch notes stating what the changes were.
 
Multiple people on the internet report Big Foot sightings on a regular basis. Doesn’t make them real.

Like I said, folks have been “indicating” this for three years about several updates.

So there are two possibilities: Lucid’s driving dynamics software team regularly tweaks regen on a car that gets zero complaints about how it drives, for no reason, and then hides it from us.

Or that team is pretty busy working on nailing down Midsize and how it will perform, and people here are experiencing a sort of placebo effect whenever they do a minor infotainment bug fix update on their Air.

You do you, but I’m going with the latter.
I don't think that's how placebos work. Maybe they didn't touch regen on your car but I can tell you with 100% certainty it's tuned way down on mine. I drive the same drive every single day to work and never touch the brakes except when I'm sitting at a complete stop. Now I have to apply the brakes all the time to slow down. Just like when I charge the car to 100% instead of 80%, there is a very obvious change in regen, not a placebo effect. This is exactly the same, but now it's happening when charged to 80%. I'm not an idiot and I wouldn't imply that everyone else is either. Your car is a Touring, mine's a RWD Pure. Maybe they biased more regen to the front motor that I don't have but you do...?? Who knows? There could be a million variables, but I'm not going to presume that I and the other people experiencing this very obvious change to how our car drives are a bunch of simultaneously-deluded fools.
 
My regen feels exactly the same as before...which is to say, awesome.
I do now like to use standard on the freeway and high in the city just to eek out a little more efficiency.
 
I don't think that's how placebos work. Maybe they didn't touch regen on your car but I can tell you with 100% certainty it's tuned way down on mine. I drive the same drive every single day to work and never touch the brakes except when I'm sitting at a complete stop. Now I have to apply the brakes all the time to slow down. Just like when I charge the car to 100% instead of 80%, there is a very obvious change in regen, not a placebo effect. This is exactly the same, but now it's happening when charged to 80%. I'm not an idiot and I wouldn't imply that everyone else is either. Your car is a Touring, mine's a RWD Pure. Maybe they biased more regen to the front motor that I don't have but you do...?? Who knows? There could be a million variables, but I'm not going to presume that I and the other people experiencing this very obvious change to how our car drives are a bunch of simultaneously-deluded fools.
I'm going to put this as gently and logically as I can.

It's extremely unlikely the team that handles regen, who likely aren't putting much time in on the Air these days, singled out YOUR car and decided to turn regen down. What you are describing doesn't even match what the few others who swear they feel a difference are saying.

If it really is that stark a difference to the point where it feels like you have no regen at all, it's much more likely your car is experiencing some new bug that was completely unintentional.

Have you tried turning regen off and then on again? Switching drive modes a few times, then flipping regen back into high? Or letting the car sleep overnight and let it reboot in the morning? How about the logo reset, or a "nuke" reset?

I know that might sound crazy. But the way the car is wired, lots of these weird, intermittent issues are due to what I call "Waking up on the wrong side of the bed." The car has over 70 computers, and they all need to start up in the correct sequence in order for things to go smoothly. Sometimes they don't.

If your car continues to behave as your are describing, I'd take it to service as soon as possible. It sounds to me like the car "thinks" you turned regen off. Which is why I'd suggest turning regen off, waiting a few minutes, and then turning it on again to see if that corrects the problem. Or letting it reset.

If not, please report to service and let them take a look.
 
I'm going to put this as gently and logically as I can.

It's extremely unlikely the team that handles regen, who likely aren't putting much time in on the Air these days, singled out YOUR car and decided to turn regen down. What you are describing doesn't even match what the few others who swear they feel a difference are saying.

If it really is that stark a difference to the point where it feels like you have no regen at all, it's much more likely your car is experiencing some new bug that was completely unintentional.

Have you tried turning regen off and then on again? Switching drive modes a few times, then flipping regen back into high? Or letting the car sleep overnight and let it reboot in the morning? How about the logo reset, or a "nuke" reset?

I know that might sound crazy. But the way the car is wired, lots of these weird, intermittent issues are due to what I call "Waking up on the wrong side of the bed." The car has over 70 computers, and they all need to start up in the correct sequence in order for things to go smoothly. Sometimes they don't.

If your car continues to behave as your are describing, I'd take it to service as soon as possible. It sounds to me like the car "thinks" you turned regen off. Which is why I'd suggest turning regen off, waiting a few minutes, and then turning it on again to see if that corrects the problem. Or letting it reset.

If not, please report to service and let them take a look.
Yes I've done those things, and no I didn't intend to state they singled out my car for a change. Your point about 70 computers and all the variables is in alignment with my point that something unintentional might have happened due to so many interconnected systems. My car is buggy as hell already so it doesn't surprise me when something unintentional happens. No one is doubting the unintentional issue where the screen goes blank, even though not every person has experienced it.

I'm waiting for 2.8.9 to see if it changes the regen again before I call service. I usually just make a list of a bunch of items before I call because I experience random bugs literally every time I drive the car. They came out once and reset my TCU but are hesitant to replace it outright so I'm trying to document all the various bugs.

Thanks for being gentle and logical. I could've been more so in my original reply too, but it's an unfair assessment to deem so many of us incapable of feeling an obvious change in our cars.
 
Yes I've done those things, and no I didn't intend to state they singled out my car for a change. Your point about 70 computers and all the variables is in alignment with my point that something unintentional might have happened due to so many interconnected systems. My car is buggy as hell already so it doesn't surprise me when something unintentional happens. No one is doubting the unintentional issue where the screen goes blank, even though not every person has experienced it.

I'm waiting for 2.8.9 to see if it changes the regen again before I call service. I usually just make a list of a bunch of items before I call because I experience random bugs literally every time I drive the car. They came out once and reset my TCU but are hesitant to replace it outright so I'm trying to document all the various bugs.

Thanks for being gentle and logical. I could've been more so in my original reply too, but it's an unfair assessment to deem so many of us incapable of feeling an obvious change in our cars.
Yep. What you are experiencing is not what others are describing. And not what I meant when I said placebo effect. What I'm objecting to is the phrasing many are using along the lines of "Lucid changed regen with this update" because that implies they are actually actively tuning regen in the car regularly when I'm 99.9999999% sure they are not. Only because people have been making that claim for literally years, and at various times members of the team have explicitly told me they are doing no such thing.

If your car is truly that buggy, you likely have a good argument for a replacement TCU. Because your issues are very likely either completely unrelated to software updates, or only tangentially triggered by this or that change in any update.

But it will take some convincing before they go through with it. So keep gathering data for sure. Hope they are convinced eventually and get you sorted.

The car is the best sedan on the road when it's functioning properly. For me, that's been the vast majority of the time I've had it. But build anything on an assembly line, and there are bound to be issues with some of the products coming off that line. If you keep pestering them and provide the data, they should get you fixed up.
 
The car is the best sedan on the road when it's functioning properly
without question actually. I've owned a luxury sedan from most major companies. Lucid is the best, I'd say Mercedes/Lexus is a toss up depening on generation and trim.
 
Slight modification to my previous "no changes noted" comment. After driving 50 miles today I have noticed a slight reduction in regen and slower activation of full regen with rapid pedal-off. I live in steep country and preferred the higher regen. I'd go weeks without touching the brake and had to do it several times today. Just adjusting my anticipation time for stops now. Not a big deal.
 
Back
Top