Lucid 10,000 Units yr 1 ???

Lucid management is one thing, but you can’t fight physics. They have a LONG way to go for positive margins on the air and for the Gravity it seems like they will take a loss in order to prove demand (which I agree with). Even with “unlimited” Saudi funding this means guaranteed dilution of shareholders … more shares issued. But hey, enjoying the car a lot
Mid-size….Lucid being profitable will take less time than Tesla. Tech partnerships help, (Aston Martin etc.), EV have been proven so easier to sell now ( not the case for Tesla ), tech advantage - when compared with leader Tesla ( Tesla didn’t have anyone to compare with), bottomless backer…( remember 420)

@RM-S8 that was 4 years ago lol
More so, considering the timeframe, hmp10 should do it asap. Purchasing the Sapphire that is. Unless I'm screwing his posts.
He certainly knows what I'm talking about.

Yeah.
It took Tesla 13 years, but you know that, right?
Hey. I want them to succeed. I think you’d be an idiot buying a model s instead of an air right now. Just cautioning for those who say the stock price is so low you can’t lose much. They can and will need to print more shares to stay alive

Totally different time now. Telsa was the only game and had more time. Now lots of competition with even more coming.
You have to take into account *all* of the differences if you’re going with this argument. For example, back then there were no chargers around, and you had to convince people EVs were even a thing and could go more than 40 miles. Thanks to Tesla opening that Pandora’s box, more people are in the market for EVs than ever. So yes, there is more supply and variations, but also much more demand. Not for large sedans, but you get the idea.

Also, there aren’t *that* many competitors and many of them aren’t doing well.

Hey. I want them to succeed. I think you’d be an idiot buying a model s instead of an air right now. Just cautioning for those who say the stock price is so low you can’t lose much. They can and will need to print more shares to stay alive

I'm wondering if they could even do much of a capital raise at current prices. I suspect they will remain dependent on Saudi support for a while after their current cash reserve runs out, and the early sales of the Gravity might have a lot to do with whether that support continues. (As I've said before, I think the Saudis signed up for the long haul with Lucid and understood the length of the runway to profitability, but even that determination will have its limits.)

I don't think the Gravity has to generate soaring sales -- which is not likely at any price that has the potential for keeping near-term losses under control -- but it does have to put their sales on a noticeable and sustainable incline accompanied by progress toward more efficient production.

. . . accompanied by progress toward more efficient production.

I saw an article recently that said Lucid was reducing the amount of brightwork and the number of material/color transitions in the Gravity interior to reduce manufacturing complexity, but I've seen little else recently discussing manufacturing efficiency.

I had assumed that Corey Steuben, the former President of Munro & Associates Engineering, had joined Lucid to work on production engineering for the Gravity. But I now see that his title is Assistant Chief Engineer, Midsize. I assume that means he will be dedicated to the Model Y competitor due in 2026?

Maybe that means the Gravity is further down the road to start of production than I realized?

I saw an article recently that said Lucid was reducing the amount of brightwork and the number of material/color transitions in the Gravity interior to reduce manufacturing complexity, but I've seen little else recently discussing manufacturing efficiency.

I had assumed that Corey Steuben, the former President of Munro & Associates Engineering, had joined Lucid to work on production engineering for the Gravity. But I now see that his title is Assistant Chief Engineer, Midsize. I assume that means he will be dedicated to the Model Y competitor due in 2026?

Maybe that means the Gravity is further down the road to start of production than I realized?
Actually, that was his role set right when he joined, it was always Chief Engineer for midsize to my knowledge. I'm also having a hard time understanding how color transitions would cost more in terms of complexity, as each piece still has to be individually installed (same color seats, etc). That was one of my favorite features of the Air, and I am still disappointed it is gone.

I'm also having a hard time understanding how color transitions would cost more in terms of complexity, as each piece still has to be individually installed (same color seats, etc).

It may be that with fewer color transitions, trim pieces of any one color will be larger, ultimately reducing the number of pieces in the interior.

Look at the front door panels of the Gravity and the Air. Starting at the window sill of the Air, you've already come across four different materials by the time you get to the armrest, which is yet another material. On the Gravity, it's only two before you hit the armrest.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.57.29 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.56.40 AM.png

BTW . . . I, too, love the dark front / light rear color vibe of the Air and hope it remains part of the Air going forward. But I sort of get why it might have been a bridge too far for attracting some of the SUV demographic.

Last edited:
You know, as I study that Air door panel and the features abutting it, it once again reminds me of just how amazing a job the Lucid design team did of evoking the best of mid-century modernism. Everything about it -- the materials, the lines, the proportions -- is spot on. And it's not just the door panels. It's the dash; it's the dual-tone seating; it's the Air logo that evokes a 1957 Chevy Bel Air logo; it's even the shape and dual tone of the outside mirror.

I'm an avid collector of furniture from mid-century designers such as Johannes Andersen, Niels Møller, John Keal, Adrian Pearsall, etc., and I loved the best cars of that era. From the moment I caught the first photo glimpses of the Air in early 2017 and through over two years of owning one, I am now seven years a fan and still head-over-heels in love with the design and style of this car. It's as timeless as things these days can be.

Last edited:
You know, as I study that Air door panel and the features abutting it, it once again reminds me of just how amazing a job the Lucid design team did of evoking the best of mid-century modernism. Everything about it -- the materials, the lines, the proportions -- is spot on. And it's not just the door panels. It's the dash; it's the dual-tone seating; it's the Air logo that evokes a 1957 Chevy Bel Air logo; it's even the shape and dual tone of the outside mirror.

I'm an avid collector of furniture from mid-century designers such as Johannes Andersen, Niels Møller, John Keal, etc., and I loved the best cars of that era. From the moment I caught the first photo glimpses of the Air in early 2017 and through over two years of owning one, I am now seven years a fan and still head-over-heels in love with the design and style of this car.
Completely agree. The blend of interesting textures and minimalism (but not hospital room minimalistic as other manufacturers are) is simply perfection and I still adore it.

By the way, the previous post was your 4000th post!

Completely agree. The blend of interesting textures and minimalism (but not hospital room minimalistic as other manufacturers are) is simply perfection and I still adore it.

By the way, the previous post was your 4000th post!
But who’s counting. ;)

I used to be a prolific poster on the AVS forums. My wife used to ‘kid’ me that I needed a life. Humph!

With each passing month, my jaw just drops further at the design excess that has taken hold of some brands, including the once-dignified and elegant Mercedes. Take a look at their current definition of luxury:

But who’s counting. ;)

I used to be a prolific poster on the AVS forums. My wife used to ‘kid’ me that I needed a life. Humph!

I was . . . but then I forgot and let the post pass unnoticed until @xponents caught it. I don't know whether to hide or celebrate.

With each passing month, my jaw just drops further at the design excess that has taken hold of some brands, including the once-dignified and elegant Mercedes. Take a look at their current definition of luxury:

Simply astonishing me how they manage to make a car boring and overly flashy at the same time.. only the worst of the worst designers can do that! Takes real skill..

Last edited:
Now I'm confused. I just saw another video showing the front door panel of the Gravity Grand Touring. It seems to have as many material transitions as the Air door panel. In fact, it looks very much like the Air door panel. (There is probably a chrome strip between at the gray-to-brown transition in the Gravity Dream door pictured in my earlier post, but it got obscured by the poor image resolution, so I missed it.)

I've also since pored over pictures of the dashboards and seats of the Air and the Gravity. Honestly, I can't find any evidence of a significant reduction in manufacturing complexity of the Gravity interior compared to the Air interior. Both of them are very handsome . . . and both will require meticulous assembly.

Air:

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.57.29 AM.png

Gravity:

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 11.26.12 AM.png

Now I'm confused. I just saw another video showing the front door panel of the Gravity Grand Touring. It seems to have as many material transitions as the Air door panel. In fact, it looks very much like the Air door panel. (There is probably a chrome strip between at the gray-to-brown transition in the Gravity Dream door pictured in my earlier post, but it got obscured by the poor image resolution, so I missed it.)

I've also since pored over pictures of the dashboards and seats of the Air and the Gravity. Honestly, I can't find any evidence of a significant reduction in manufacturing complexity of the Gravity interior compared to the Air interior. Both of them are very handsome . . . and both will require meticulous assembly.

Air:

View attachment 18766

Gravity:

View attachment 18767
Isn't that the "Ojai" interior that was touted as being animal free? Could that be a reason there is what looks to be fabric there? It does seem like there is a chrome strip on the DE picture you showed, right above the ambient lighting.

Also, I'll just note the terrible panel alignment on the left of the door. Obviously, its an alpha, so those don't really matter.

Isn't that the "Ojai" interior that was touted as being animal free? Could that be a reason there is what looks to be fabric there? It does seem like there is a chrome strip on the DE picture you showed, right above the ambient lighting.

I think it is the Ojai interior. I'm wondering if the panel above the Gravity GT armrest is Alcantara as it is on the Air. On the Gravity Dream door with the Tahoe interior, the panel looks to be leather or a synthetic of the same color.

I'm starting to think that some of these trim decisions aren't nailed down yet, with different prototypes trying different things.

It may be that with fewer color transitions, trim pieces of any one color will be larger, ultimately reducing the number of pieces in the interior.

Look at the front door panels of the Gravity and the Air. Starting at the window sill of the Air, you've already come across four different materials by the time you get to the armrest, which is yet another material. On the Gravity, it's only two before you hit the armrest.

View attachment 18689

View attachment 18690

BTW . . . I, too, love the dark front / light rear color vibe of the Air and hope it remains part of the Air going forward. But I sort of get why it might have been a bridge too far for attracting some of the SUV demographic.
Interesting, at least this design feature in the Air will make up slightly for the lack of OLED screens….

Back