Lightning strikes twice. Two blowouts yesterday.

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
So after getting my car back last month ( two new rims but no blow outs) I’m traveling west on 84 trying to make a Dr appointment. There is traffic so I’m only driving 35mph but hence not a lot of car length between cars. I saw a sharp edge pothole but no time to swerve. Tire warning light went on immediately as I limped to the shoulder. Both passenger side flat. I May or may not have dented the rims but I’m done with the 21s. I’m getting the 19s put on Monday and will straighten the 21s if need be and sell. Some one in Cali or Florida will love them. Even here in pothole country if you have spares or want to switch to 21s in summer. I’ll have 4 front and two rear and a few tires. Any mount aftermarket rims yet?

Damn that sucks! Hopefully you can get enough from your 21s to covet the cost of the 19s

What's a pothole (said a former New Englander)? Potholes are definitely less of a concern out here but, on the other hand, everything is farther away so range becomes more important. That is one of the reasons I am planning on 19s on the Pure I have reserved.

Hopefully the 20 inch will be a good in between when they arrive!

So after getting my car back last month ( two new rims but no blow outs) I’m traveling west on 84 trying to make a Dr appointment. There is traffic so I’m only driving 35mph but hence not a lot of car length between cars. I saw a sharp edge pothole but no time to swerve. Tire warning light went on immediately as I limped to the shoulder. Both passenger side flat. I May or may not have dented the rims but I’m done with the 21s. I’m getting the 19s put on Monday and will straighten the 21s if need be and sell. Some one in Cali or Florida will love them. Even here in pothole country if you have spares or want to switch to 21s in summer. I’ll have 4 front and two rear and a few tires. Any mount aftermarket rims yet?
Sorry…that sux

sorry to hear about your blowouts. One of the reasons I opted for the 19" wheels. Low profile tires suck. I am still leery on the 45 profile of the 19". Time will tell. BTY, don't forget to get a wheel alignment done too. I guarantee it's out of alignment after suffering that wack job.

Glad that you are safe after the two blow-outs. I do not understand why Lucid fits cast wheels, not forged. Of course, even forged wheels can bend and low-profile tires can fail, but in my experience with two Panamera GTS's in MA winters, I never had a problem with either blowouts or bent wheels after hitting inevitable water-filled potholes, although they were 20" wheels.

I agree this is a big problem. I've had it happen to me twice now, but in my case hitting a pothole led to a bubble on the tire which fortunately I noticed.

I totally understand how you feel about the 21” wheels in pot hole country. I Hit two unseen pot holes in Idaho and lost both right side tires immediately on my 21” in June. I’m glad to be back in So. Calif and not having to worrying about road damage. Good luck with the 19”!

I totally understand how you feel about the 21” wheels in pot hole country. I Hit two unseen pot holes in Idaho and lost both right side tires immediately on my 21” in June. I’m glad to be back in So. Calif and not having to worrying about road damage. Good luck with the 19”!
is socal really better? ive never lived in other places ouside of CA. ive always thought our road conditions sucked, but after reading these comments, everyone is making socal's roads and infrastructures to be one of the better ones for the 21s

I’m not particularly happy with Lucid service right now. I called this problem in on Friday and had my car towed to my town that day. After speaking to service Saturday and determined that I’ll go with the 19s I was told there was a 95% chance that a set with tires was already in white plains. I told them I need the car for a vacation trip by Friday. I kept calling on Monday to get the car towed to white plains but did not get anyone till the afternoon. Ok it will get towed first thing tues.9am I was also told somewhat ominously that lucid “should “pay for the second tow. The tow finally came at 1130, getting to white plains after 1. I talked to service finally at 5pm. I received the news those rims and tires are earmarked for another customer, we would order mine right away, should be in earliest Friday, maybe Monday. WTF?!? Why was this a mystery until tues afternoon after 4 days have passed? Now I’m up against a hard deadline. I need the car to keep the dogs cool inside when we are at an event and that’s less than a 50/50 chance now. I realize lucid service is probably understaffed but come on guys a two minute call to confirm the tires /rims were available on Saturday or even Monday would have guaranteed delivery of a second set with at least a day to spare. Now I’m probably screwed

Last edited:
is socal really better? ive never lived in other places ouside of CA. ive always thought our road conditions sucked, but after reading these comments, everyone is making socal's roads and infrastructures to be one of the better ones for the 21s

I've only lived in SoCal and NorCal. I feel like SoCal has bad roads too. Actually, I'm going to be picking up my GT soon (w/19'' wheels) and I'm slightly concerned about driving on the 10 and 60s freeways on the westside. There's several areas, but, in particular, one right after you change from the 10 to the 60 freeway where there's a large bump in the road and you'll literally feel like you're going over a large speed bump. I've gone over that bump several times w/my Model S 75d and you definitely get lurched around going over the bump. Reading about all these blowouts makes me concerned about driving my Lucid around that area, even if the risk is lower w/the 19'' wheels.

I've only lived in SoCal and NorCal. I feel like SoCal has bad roads too. Actually, I'm going to be picking up my GT soon (w/19'' wheels) and I'm slightly concerned about driving on the 10 and 60s freeways on the westside. There's several areas, but, in particular, one right after you change from the 10 to the 60 freeway where there's a large bump in the road and you'll literally feel like you're going over a large speed bump. I've gone over that bump several times w/my Model S 75d and you definitely get lurched around going over the bump. Reading about all these blowouts makes me concerned about driving my Lucid around that area, even if the risk is lower w/the 19'' wheels.
Been over that bump several times, no bulges from that one...yet!

Sorry to hear about this. So frustrating.

I don’t know who thinks CA roads are great 😂 lived here all my life (NorCal) and drive to SoCal often…it’s not that good but guess it’s subjective.

I've only lived in SoCal and NorCal. I feel like SoCal has bad roads too.
I don’t know who thinks CA roads are great 😂 lived here all my life (NorCal) and drive to SoCal often…it’s not that good but guess it’s subjective.
right? im originally from norcal, but live/work in socal now. socal's roads definitely suck more, so i can't imagine how the roads are at other places if they think ours is better for the 21s. maybe their potholes are just deeper/bigger? idk...

All I can say is that there is one pothole in my area that can destroy the 21's on the Lucid and that is one too many. I know that this is wishful thinking, but it would be great with all the cameras, radar and lidar on ever-evolving smart cars that a memory map of offending potholes could be collected in a hive memory for all drivers (or at least all LUCID drivers) to benefit.

Hopefully the 20 inch will be a good in between when they arrive!
The 20s should be a good solution. I have 20s on BMW and the same roads that are filling jarring in the Lucid are much better in the BMW. The BMW is also 400 lbs lighter.

Back