Lidar Blocked whenever it rains - what does the Lidar do?

Weirdest thing… I’ve been looking out for this exact error since it’s so widely reported and it’s been very rainy here but I haven’t ever seen it. I wonder why.

Weirdest thing… I’ve been looking out for this exact error since it’s so widely reported and it’s been very rainy here but I haven’t ever seen it. I wonder why.
Happens to mine quite often … the lucid people said the water on the sensors sets it off… interestingly the auto windshield wipers on the other end require a deluge before they come on … or won’t at all … car is going back in next Friday to take a closer look

Attachments

• 6774AC7E-4813-4A6C-A520-06009E721710.jpeg
    6774AC7E-4813-4A6C-A520-06009E721710.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
Another day of light rain in Dallas and another message. I never saw this before .55....

Should we be reporting to LUCID via text ?

View attachment 10740
Yes please report. I feel like many of us report on this website but not to lucid as much as we should. My advisor acts like lucid isn't reading anything on the lucid owners forum!

Yes please report. I feel like many of us report on this website but not to lucid as much as we should. My advisor acts like lucid isn't reading anything on the lucid owners forum!
Why would they? This is a 3rd party forum, not an official Lucid entity. Other than Len and Marqie, there are no other known Lucid employees on here. It's not Lucid's job to mine the internet for issues - that's what contacting CS is for.

i just picked up my Lucid yesterday after a little over 3 weeks at the service center. We had multiple things to have fixed - but the lidar issue was one that they could not come up with an answer for. Advisor said that the sensor in the front probably gets wet and then it won't work. This seemed pretty obivous to me that yes, every time I have reported this it is raining. I could only come up with, "well, one should be able to drive a fully functioning car in the rain - it does rain occasionally - EVERYWHERE". He agreed. I asked what features are not able to be used when it is raining and the lidar is not functioning. He said the warning of when a car pulls away in front of me wouldn't work, probably not the cross traffic alert, and he seemed to think that the dream drive and maybe the lane assist would not work. But I wasn't confident with his guesses. I was concerned about the safety features - like avoiding rear ending another car. Still looking for a solid answer on which features will not work if lidar is not working. I just don't want to be depending on something that isn't available.

IMO the reason is that a forum is not the place to find repeatable errors.
I asked what features are not able to be used when it is raining and the lidar is not functioning. He said the warning of when a car pulls away in front of me wouldn't work, probably not the cross traffic alert, and he seemed to think that the dream drive and maybe the lane assist would not work. But I wasn't confident with his guesses.

The features you describe are all available on other cars without Lidar using the cameras and sensors. I would have hoped that the Lidar would be additive and these functions could still operate albeit at a lesser level.

Why would they? This is a 3rd party forum, not an official Lucid entity. Other than Len and Marqie, there are no other known Lucid employees on here. It's not Lucid's job to mine the internet for issues - that's what contacting CS is for.
There is a wealth of information here that I would think they would want to monitor, so they can see trends happening. As a business owner in the 2000's reviews and comments can make or break your business. I am looking at reviews about my product all the time on 3rd party sites, this helps me to improve my product and services - it's FREE consumer testing and feedback.

There is a wealth of information here that I would think they would want to monitor, so they can see trends happening. As a business owner in the 2000's reviews and comments can make or break your business. I am looking at reviews about my product all the time on 3rd party sites, this helps me to improve my product and services - it's FREE consumer testing and feedback.
Which is why Lucid does have employees monitoring this forum. But while it may be a great resource for getting the general pulse of some of your owners, it would be a lousy place to interface one-on-one with specific customers who are having issues. The last thing Lucid would want to do is set the expectation that if you post a problem here, they will definitely get the message and immediately respond.

That's precisely the job of Customer Care.

So we always suggest to folks who are having issues that need to be resolved by Lucid to directly contact Lucid about them. We're a smart bunch, but some things really require the company in order to get a resolution.

i just picked up my Lucid yesterday after a little over 3 weeks at the service center. We had multiple things to have fixed - but the lidar issue was one that they could not come up with an answer for. Advisor said that the sensor in the front probably gets wet and then it won't work. This seemed pretty obivous to me that yes, every time I have reported this it is raining. I could only come up with, "well, one should be able to drive a fully functioning car in the rain - it does rain occasionally - EVERYWHERE". He agreed. I asked what features are not able to be used when it is raining and the lidar is not functioning. He said the warning of when a car pulls away in front of me wouldn't work, probably not the cross traffic alert, and he seemed to think that the dream drive and maybe the lane assist would not work. But I wasn't confident with his guesses. I was concerned about the safety features - like avoiding rear ending another car. Still looking for a solid answer on which features will not work if lidar is not working. I just don't want to be depending on something that isn't available.
This is exactly my issue … my wife has had now several issues and is not comfortable driving the vehicle… Lucids response hasn’t been that great … it’s basically they same (water gets in there and sensors act up) … along with turn off the features when it rains … really?

This is exactly my issue … my wife has had now several issues and is not comfortable driving the vehicle… Lucids response hasn’t been that great … it’s basically they same (water gets in there and sensors act up) … along with turn off the features when it rains … really?
What issues has your wife had, out of curiosity?

(the only issues I've had in the rain are water getting on the camera lenses; those typically just get wiped off, but in my dreams there is the teeniest tiniest wiper blade on each lens <3)

I’ve gotten the alert a few times and only when it’s misting…superfine droplets. When it’s actually raining, I never get the alert.

I guess I’m just lucky… I’ve never seen that alert (yet).

I’ve gotten the alert a few times and only when it’s misting…superfine droplets. When it’s actually raining, I never get the alert.
Same here, works well when there is a downpour but when there is a mist the message shows up every time

I received my Touring 1 week ago and I saw the same error message this morning during light rain at the Bay area. It disappeared once the rain stopped. My car is at the latest software version.

I get the LiDAR blocked message as well. Has anyone tried a ceramic coating or PPF on the sensor?

I get the LiDAR blocked message as well. Has anyone tried a ceramic coating or PPF on the sensor?
I would recommend against putting PPF over the sensors (radar/lidar). It could mess them up in terms of their ability to function correctly.

I’ve gotten the error a lot in light rain but not in heavy rain. While I agree it is annoying, you can still (and should) use regen and brakes to slow the vehicle down every time. All ADAS features are designed to augment an already engaged and attentive driver, not to make it so you don’t have to pay attention to driving and hope the car will just stop for you on its own in the rain. Obviously this a glitch that needs an OTA to fix, but it doesn’t mean you can’t drive the car or other such hyperbole.

Received the error today as well. Lovely…

I use highway assist daily on my 30 mile commute. I sure hope they fix this. Alternatively if they could just stop the error message from constantly going nuts on my dash that’d be a good start too.

Received the error today as well. Lovely…

I use highway assist daily on my 30 mile commute. I sure hope they fix this. Alternatively if they could just stop the error message from constantly going nuts on my dash that’d be a good start too.
My Subaru does this all the time in heavy rain, the Lucid does it in light rain whereas heavier rain it’s ok.

Back