Level 2 Charging question

MMBINN

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Got the Lucid charger - it’s beautiful (as is the car) and works great. PS- I am a New Jersey resident with PSEG utility, the installation is covered by them (if you jump through the hoops, which is worth it).
Here’s my question from my Lucid techier people: I have a short drive to work, and can stretch a charge for quite a while. But is that the right thing to do? Is the idea that I let the car battery level drop to 20% before plugging in? Or should I be plugging in more frequently? Thanks!
Ps- did I mention I love the car?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 105
If you care about extending the life of your battery past 8 years, or 100k miles then your best bet is to keep the battery as close to 60% SOC as possible while never letting it get below 60 degrees or above 80 degrees. That being said, 20-80% SOC is very practical with daily usage, no need to keep it topped up to 80 or let it drop below 20 if your situation doesn't have a need for that. Personally, I've been keeping my car between 30 and 70% because that's about as much charge as I get overnight for my TOU utility plan.

I ceramic coated and wrapped this a baby - and plan to keep it that long. Your guidance is plug when I get near 60%- and then charge back to 80%, repeat (except for long trips when it’s ok bring it to 100%)?

I ceramic coated and wrapped this a baby - and plan to keep it that long. Your guidance is plug when I get near 60%- and then charge back to 80%, repeat (except for long trips when it’s ok bring it to 100%)?
More like, plug in at 40% to bring it to 60%, but honestly, if you keep the charge level at 70 and don't let it drop below 30 unless road tripping, that will most likely be as healthy as can be without going crazy and overthinking it, like we are now =)

Got the Lucid charger - it’s beautiful (as is the car) and works great. PS- I am a New Jersey resident with PSEG utility, the installation is covered by them (if you jump through the hoops, which is worth it).
Here’s my question from my Lucid techier people: I have a short drive to work, and can stretch a charge for quite a while. But is that the right thing to do? Is the idea that I let the car battery level drop to 20% before plugging in? Or should I be plugging in more frequently? Thanks!
I would just blindly follow the instructions on page 147:

"Preserving high voltage battery pack health
The most effective way to prolong the battery (when not driving) is to leave it plugged into a charging source. Setting the charge level to "Daily" usage helps preserve battery health."

"Battery pack life and performance are greatly improved by maintaining a healthy state of charge (generally between 40% and 80%)."

I come from Tesla since 2012 and also blindly followed its instructions with good results. Tesla parameter was 90% not 80%. I plugged my Tesla as soon as possible when not driven for the past 11 years.

When I sold my 2012 Tesla Model S at 100,000 miles in 2018, its 100% charge was 252.54 miles or a loss of 12.46 miles (out of 265 maximum miles) or a loss of 4.7%:

4NLWBP7.jpg

When I sold my 2018 Tesla Model 3 at almost 50,000 miles, its 100% charge was 285.81 miles or a loss of 24.19 miles out of 310 maximum miles or 7.80%.

BjQQDG9.jpg

My current 2017 Tesla Model X at 77,000 miles with 97% charge is 258.02 miles or an approximate loss of 36.98 miles out of the maximum 295 miles or a loss of 12.54% (because it's not a 100% charge so it's just an approximate).

9C2uhid.jpg

Check other postings on this topic. There have been very informed posts which include very interesting and important data about battery health.

That is a great picture!

The one thing I would add to this is that after taking the car to 100% before my last trip, I will not do that again. The car behaves differently. (Regen doesn't have anyplace to go) So, I take it to 95% before a long trip, but would probably have been fine with 80%.

The one thing I would add to this is that after taking the car to 100% before my last trip, I will not do that again. The car behaves differently. (Regen doesn't have anyplace to go) So, I take it to 95% before a long trip, but would probably have been fine with 80%.
Same here. I've only done it once, and won't do it again. 95% is good enough for anyplace I need to go.

Thank you- that point is very helpful!

Any tips on dealing with PSEG? I’m taking delivery of a new Touring within the next month. I didn't see lucid on the NJ approved list

Back