Letter to Lucid on Midsized Vehicle

Interesting! Where did he say this? The last video I saw was that his long term plan is to eventually get to a $20k vehicle.
around the 6:00 mark

perhaps licensing tech to other companies to get to a $20k vehicle eventually, but Lucid themselves will stick to the $50k-$250k market for their vehicles

It's far "easier" for a manufacturer/brand to start upmarket and move downmarket than it is for a downmarket brand to move upstream. Lucid is doing the right thing in the right order, all of this just takes time. People are forgetting how long Tesla took to actually "make it" from a boutique brand to a real player. By comparison Lucid is already way ahead, folks just don't like to wait.
Tesla had to create a market for EVs and build out a charging network. Lucid had all of Telsa's history both good and bad to start with so I think that Lucid had a big head start.

around the 6:00 mark

perhaps licensing tech to other companies to get to a $20k vehicle eventually, but Lucid themselves will stick to the $50k-$250k market for their vehicles
4.6 miles per kWh??? I have never seen that! In my every day driving it's 2.6-2.8.

Lucid could do both -- license and make their own high volume lower priced "Model 3". Problem is that I doubt big automakers would want to be dependent on a competitor for components as critical as drive train and batter management. I hope there are some takers but automakers are arrogant and think whatever they have is best.

Audi e-tron: battery 95KwH, EPA range 210 mile
Vinfast VF8: battery 82 KwH, EPA range 180 mile (and we know the battery costs $18K, price difference between lease/buy)
Porsche Taycan: battery 93 KwH, EPA range 205 mile
Mercedes EQS: battery 108 KwH, EPA range 340 mile

Lucid Air Pure: battery 88 KwH, EPA range 416 mile

Eventually some savvy CEOs would make deal to make their mass produce cars be more range superior than the rest. Or license tech/component to cut battery size 30-50% and keep the range the same.

Last edited:
Vinfast VF8: battery 82 KwH, EPA range 180 mile

Eventually some savvy CEOs would make deal to make their mass produce cars be more range superior than the rest.
My wife's EQS gets the EPA range, or a little more. My DE gets around 60-70% of the EPA 471miles range so not really that much difference. Yes, I can drive a certain way at a certain speed and get more miles, but I don't plan on it. I love the power of my car, but the actual range is much lower than expected and I have learned to live with it.

Also, I would like to say that an 80000 suv with the tax credit is still more expensive than a 50k sedan.
yes but its more doable and profitable to make a sub $80k SUV than it is to make a sub $55k sedan. Tesla's Model 3 base model barely snubs in under $55k, but only by sourcing from China which disqualifies it from the new tax credit. Under the IRA, the originally more expensive Model YP is actually more affordable than the Model 3P with the $7,500 tax credit

My wife's EQS gets the EPA range, or a little more. My DE gets around 60-70% of the EPA 471miles range so not really that much difference. Yes, I can drive a certain way at a certain speed and get more miles, but I don't plan on it. I love the power of my car, but the actual range is much lower than expected and I have learned to live with it.

The most we ever got with our MYP was 220mi (despited the EPA range of 320). That said, some of our friends/relatives got more & a lot more. But the overall perception is that Tesla's superior range/tech make up for their build quality

My neighbor is now miserable with his Audi e-tron. I'm sure if he has 100-150 more range out of that 95KwH battery, he'll be much happier, and his family can take an OC-SanDiego route trip (180mi) w/o calling for a tow truck few miles from home due to the car ran out of juice.

Last edited:
Vinfast VF8: battery 82 KwH, EPA range 180 mile (and we know the battery costs $18K, price difference between lease/buy)
Mercedes EQS: battery 108 KwH, EPA range 340 mile

Eventually some savvy CEOs would make deal to make their mass produce cars be more range superior than the rest. Or license tech/component to cut battery size 30-50% and keep the range the same.
Despite the 425 EPA range, I doubt Touring can beat EQS in real world.

To those who complain about the range being lower than the EPA - show me another EV that gets better real world range than the Lucid. Not compared to the EPA, but can travel more miles. There isn’t one. So drive the car as you would and know that you will be passing more charging stations than you would hypermiling in any other vehicle. This is a fantastic car on the range in real driving conditions. I’m very happy on trips!

To those who complain about the range being lower than the EPA - show me another EV that gets better real world range than the Lucid. Not compared to the EPA, but can travel more miles. There isn’t one. So drive the car as you would and know that you will be passing more charging stations than you would hypermiling in any other vehicle. This is a fantastic car on the range in real driving conditions. I’m very happy on trips!
I really don't care about other EVs. My car doesn't get nearly the advertised range but my biggest complaint is that the miles left indicator is always wrong. I want Lucid to look at past trips and figure out a better indicator of miles left.

I really don't care about other EVs. My car doesn't get nearly the advertised range but my biggest complaint is that the miles left indicator is always wrong. I want Lucid to look at past trips and figure out a better indicator of miles left.
Yes. This. Accuracy is crucial when you are trying to get somewhere. I hope they continue to tweak their algorithms to make this calculation more realistic.

Back