Letter to Lucid on Midsized Vehicle

invalidname

Cars
Touring
Dear Lucid management,

For the projected midsized vehicle to be released mid-late-decade, please make a midsized SUV starting under $80k. Please do not make a midsized sedan first. Please do this for the people, and the stockholders, and the wellbeing of the company. A midsized SUV under $80k would more likely qualify for the IRA tax credit than a midsized sedan. A midsized SUV under $80k would be one of the most popular markets globally. You can make it like a crossover, just as long as the taxman thinks its an SUV. All I want for Christmas mid-late decade is a midsized SUV, and not a midsized sedan.

Please and thank you,
- a fellow Lucid owner and shareholder

Dear Lucid management,

For the projected midsized vehicle to be released mid-late-decade, please make a midsized SUV starting under $80k. Please do not make a midsized sedan first. Please do this for the people, and the stockholders, and the wellbeing of the company. A midsized SUV under $80k would more likely qualify for the IRA tax credit than a midsized sedan. A midsized SUV under $80k would be one of the most popular markets globally. You can make it like a crossover, just as long as the taxman thinks its an SUV. All I want for Christmas mid-late decade is a midsized SUV, and not a midsized sedan.

Please and thank you,
While we’re talking to Lucid, so a substantial shareholder having invested nearly 1M, I daydream of the day lucid announces the lucid entire dashboard will soon become the first complete Apple CarPlay dash and operating system. A blend of lucid hardware (which it’s best at) and apple’s software (which it’s obviously best at). What an unstoppable combination that would be. Lucid’s stock would soon be closer to $100. Than the $5. It’s currently headed for.

While we’re talking to Lucid, so a substantial shareholder having invested nearly 1M, I daydream of the day lucid announces the lucid entire dashboard will soon become the first complete Apple CarPlay dash and operating system. A blend of lucid hardware (which it’s best at) and apple’s software (which it’s obviously best at). What an unstoppable combination that would be. Lucid’s stock would soon be closer to $100. Than the $5. It’s currently headed for.
Would be nice to have an Apple dashboard. I am an "all Apple" guy. But the Andriodians out there would probably not like it. Also, the current Lucid UX is based upon the Android Automotive OS (AAOS) and would be a complete re-write I would think.

Dear Lucid management,

Please and thank you,
One more thought... I think that Lucid could do both like Tesla did with the Model 3/Y. Probably could bring out a smaller platform sedan and SUV at the same time after project Gravity. I too have a lot of $LCID and have confidence that they will deliver. But do not expect return on your investment until 2025 or later.

Would be nice to have an Apple dashboard. I am an "all Apple" guy. But the Andriodians out there would probably not like it. Also I believe the current Lucid UX is based upon the Android Automotive OS (AAOS) and would be a complete re-write I would think.
The new CarPlay would not completely replace the current Lucid OS for everyone. If you have an Android phone, you’d just continue using Android Auto.

If you have an iPhone, then you’d have the option of using the Apple UI. Lucid would have to do some work to support that, but it would not be as much as rewriting the whole UI themselves. It would be more about feeding the phone real time car info.

I suspect Lucid will want to support this new CarPlay when it is released. But it will always be optional.

One more thought... I think that Lucid could do both like Tesla did with the Model 3/Y. Probably could bring out a smaller platform sedan and SUV at the same time after project Gravity. I too have a lot of $LCID and have confidence that they will deliver. But do not expect return on your investment until 2025 or later.
Tesla did not release the Model 3 and Model Y at the same time. Model 3 was released in 2017 and Model Y in 2020.

It'll be too difficult to introduce both a midsized sedan and midsized SUV concurrently, one will have to be first

Last edited:
Tesla did not release the Model 3 and Model Y at the same time. Model 3 was released in 2017 and Model Y in 2020. The Model Y was clearly their most popular model. Why make the same mistake of going the sedan route first instead of going straight for the more popular and profitable model, especially with the new EV tax credit in play? It'll be too difficult to introduce both a midsized sedan and midsized SUV concurrently, one will have to be first
Also 80k is the price limit for suv tax credit and it is more practical price point below Pure

Also 80k is the price limit for suv tax credit and it is more practical price point below Pure
That’s barely below Pure, though. I think Rawlinson is hoping for a price point in the 40-50k range.

And the tax credit requires much more than sales price. Sourcing of materials and the buyer’s income are major factors.

Lucid is best off forgetting the tax credit altogether. It’s far too restrictive to let it dictate your road map.

That’s barely below Pure, though. I think Rawlinson is hoping for a price point in the 40-50k range.

And the tax credit requires much more than sales price. Sourcing of materials and the buyer’s income are major factors.

Lucid is best off forgetting the tax credit altogether. It’s far too restrictive to let it dictate your road map.
Going to 40 to 50k is a quantum leap from the current level and low profit margins. Very high volume is needed. Battery capacity can be a problem to get there regardless of the tax credit. Look at gm and Ford. Very little demand for sedans these days. Most people seem to like the extra cargo room, the higher seating position and in Asia higher ground clearance.

Tesla did not release the Model 3 and Model Y at the same time. Model 3 was released in 2017 and Model Y in 2020.

It'll be too difficult to introduce both a midsized sedan and midsized SUV concurrently, one will have to be first
That's correct, my bad. But I believe they are essentially the same platform and share many parts. The Model 3 is wildly popular. That is the car Lucid should target IMO.

Lucid could license or supply tech/components for other makers to make EV in the lower price range. This would give them a much better margin & while focusing in the mid/high end sedans & SUVs.

Lucid could license or supply tech/components for other makers to make EV in the lower price range. This would give them a much better margin & while focusing in the mid/high end sedans & SUVs.
Yes. If they announce such a deal it will boost the stock price

Lets not forget that the model S used to be 69420, while the 3 was around 40k. I think lucid should just make the midsize start at a lower price, but have many tiers. Very unlikely, as calling your midsize car a grand touring would not sit well.

Lucid could do both -- license and make their own high volume lower priced "Model 3". Problem is that I doubt big automakers would want to be dependent on a competitor for components as critical as drive train and batter management. I hope there are some takers but automakers are arrogant and think whatever they have is best.

Lucid could do both -- license and make their own high volume lower priced "Model 3". Problem is that I doubt big automakers would want to be dependent on a competitor for components as critical as drive train and batter management. I hope there are some takers but automakers are arrogant and think whatever they have is best.
Coughs in every german ev manufacturer

If they build a $60-80K mid suv will be the awesome and will be their bread and butter. Like most manufacture, the mid market is where the high volume are and make a good chunk of steady growth. But it seems Lucid want to gear for the high end more. look at the sapphire at 250k for tri motor, it's in the Tesla roadster, Ferrari Roma, and Lambo range. TBH, i think if that market it less than 200k will be better for the brand and more competitive to Tesla Plaid. I think people willing to pay little more for quality for not 100k over. Maybe it will be a new classic battle like Ferrari vs Lambo.

It's far "easier" for a manufacturer/brand to start upmarket and move downmarket than it is for a downmarket brand to move upstream. Lucid is doing the right thing in the right order, all of this just takes time. People are forgetting how long Tesla took to actually "make it" from a boutique brand to a real player. By comparison Lucid is already way ahead, folks just don't like to wait.

If they build a $60-80K mid suv will be the awesome and will be their bread and butter. Like most manufacture, the mid market is where the high volume are and make a good chunk of steady growth. But it seems Lucid want to gear for the high end more. look at the sapphire at 250k for tri motor, it's in the Tesla roadster, Ferrari Roma, and Lambo range. TBH, i think if that market it less than 200k will be better for the brand and more competitive to Tesla Plaid. I think people willing to pay little more for quality for not 100k over. Maybe it will be a new classic battle like Ferrari vs Lambo.
That’s just for now; the plan is definitely to move downmarket, it’s just going to take time to get there.

I disagree. Lucid should focus on a midsized SUV under $80k rather than a midsized sedan, purely because a $7,500k tax credit opens up the market tremendously. Lucid already makes their vehicles in America, they Lucid already make their own battery packs and drivetrain in America, and Lucid already sources their materials from approved areas and can adjust their sourcing as the IRA gets stricter every year. All it really needs is a more affordable vehicle.

A more affordable mid-sized SUV under $80k will open up the market for people and families that fall under the income cap. A midsized sedan will not.

Also Peter Rawlinson already said they will not go below $50k on any future vehicle

I disagree. Lucid should focus on a midsized SUV under $80k rather than a midsized sedan, purely because a $7,500k tax credit opens up the market tremendously. Lucid already makes their vehicles in America, they Lucid already make their own battery packs and drivetrain in America, and Lucid already sources their materials from approved areas and can adjust their sourcing as the IRA gets stricter every year. All it really needs is a more affordable vehicle.

A more affordable mid-sized SUV under $80k will open up the market for people and families that fall under the income cap. A midsized sedan will not.

Also Peter Rawlinson already said they will not go below $50k on any future vehicle
Interesting! Where did he say this? The last video I saw was that his long term plan is to eventually get to a $20k vehicle.

Back